21 coaches online • Server time: 04:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Melrakki

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

When you start playing it, you think it's more luck than skill.
After a while, you realize there's much more skill involved than you could ever think, and a lot less luck involved than you thought.

I would just like to add this this is partly because the game becomes a lot more about skill once higher SPP players get involved.
catmando

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 03:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Quote:

When you start playing it, you think it's more luck than skill.
After a while, you realize there's much more skill involved than you could ever think, and a lot less luck involved than you thought.

I would just like to add this this is partly because the game becomes a lot more about skill once higher SPP players get involved.

I disagree. A one is a one on 1d6 and an attacker down roll is still an attacker down roll regardless of how many re-rolls or skills the team possesses. I'm great at games that don't involve much die rolling, once I learn the pattern, I rarely lose. But in games like Monopoly, Craps, D&D, Star Fleet Battles, and Blood Bowl and so forth, I win or succeed in about half the games I play, mainly because the random element of chance is involved, i.e. dice rolling. In my experience with games involving dice, which is 30+ years, the win is 50% Luck, 40% skill and 10% Divine Intervention. You can be the most brilliant tactician on Earth, but if the die rolls are not there to support your plan, the plan will fail regardless.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything in BB doesnt involve rolling a dice...
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
In my experience with games involving dice, which is 30+ years, the win is 50% Luck, 40% skill and 10% Divine Intervention.

This is clearly wrong, various games are affected to a greater or lesser extent by dice and strategy partially by coincidence and parially through design.

As a sidenote I think skill has the greatest impact on a game at the lowest level of play (although this does not mean the lowest TR).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course dice rolling is chance, but the skill of BB is minimizing risk. If you do the right things, even a double skull rerolled to a double skull may be a turnover but not be an unrecoverable play.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Find and play me. I use mostly elves. Smile
 Jump to: