70 coaches online • Server time: 23:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well elves are so great at passing that it would be a pity not to use this gamechanging play. With skills like pass/catch a quick pass and catching the ball is just as probable as a two-dice block without rr. If you play woodies right they have even better starting skills than darkies 2xblock and 6xdodge vs. 4xblock and 2xdodge. Dodge is at the start an even stronger skill than block as it makes positioning much easier.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
Wood elves are one of the best teams for newbies, if you like a throwing game. Start with an all positional team with 0 rr and win games easily.

Good luck when you meet a Dwarf/Chaos Dwarf team.
Very Happy
kummo

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

But you are not going to suggest new coach to create 0rr team.

And even when passing with pass+catch skills (with ag4) is "only" to 5% to fail at one point - you have to also note that new coach should setup passing in a way that failing is safe-ish (screen) - which he probably can't do right since - he is new to the game.

With av7 his players will be removed quite quickly (even with dodge, since both down exist on good coaches block guys and one might even take both down with his av 8/9 guy if its one of his last actions.. since good coach could setup in a way that both down doesn't leave holes and is not that risky). New coach can't learn new things when he doesn't have tools (players) to try that.

And you should pass only once per drive - but you are going to do at least 1 block per turn (blitz) so learning how, when and who to block (at and with) is much more important than learning how and when to pass and what else one should prepare to make passing safe.

Don't teach new coaches to pass -.-'

It's a noob trap - even with decent skills.
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Matt dwarfs are too slow, even with tackle it's a 50% chance to win for woodies. Other teams like chaos will struggle taking a catcher or wardancer down even with two block dice.
A woodie team without positionals simply lacks dodge, two or three rr and 4 str3 players don't compensate that. A woody team with 3 linemen and 2 passers isn't as easily destroyed as a woodie team with 9 linemen. It is faster, can score more easily, can pass better and wins the bashing war better than a linemen team. And it will skill up faster than any other team in a league environment. Might not be true for fumbbl as you play teams within same TV range and sooner or later you run into teams with 4 or more times block/mb/piling on/tackle.

For learning the block/bashing game you could go to the other extrem and play dwarfs.
kwèk

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

When I give a demo... and people ask me what the best team is to learn the game... I answer "Orcs" all the way.

I believe new people suffer with the concept:
- Learning how to block
- Learning how to position
- Feel like they lost if they loose 1 player (and get in the minority on the field)
- Reroll management (take a hit, fall down on a dodge)
- Trying to minimise dice rolls (Noobs roll a lot, so giving them to squishy stuff without having reserves... may make them feel bad)

Best choice to counter all that:

1. Orcs:
+ Learns new people the concept of ST
+ Have enough AG to dodge
+ They have a thrower... so they can find how passing + picking up the ball with AG3 + Auto reroll feels like.
+ Has enough block to learn people the concept of blocking
+ They are very forgiving. Most games if you position bad and you get a beating... They just stand up. When they don't, it's generally bad luck (on armour rolls).

2. Undead
+ Cause they are very versatile and can be really forgiving for bad positioning
+ High endurance (usualy)
+ Just fun if they raise a zombie Very Happy

3. Skaven
+ Learns new players how to use Ma
+ Learns new players how to use Ag
+ Has enough reserves to give people the idea that they are not getting behind

I don't like giving a noob a team with 11 guys (just 11 guys) unless they are orcs.

I also totally disagree with giving them dwarves. Cause dwarves are harder to coach then most people let by. Positioning, and taking squares is really important for dwarves... they might be forgiving on armour + blocks. BUT noobs that position them bad, will just end up having a bad time running behind your ball carier. They will smash your face in, but ussually don't come close of getting a win. Keep your first games intresting and exciting is more important then letting them feel hopelesly lost doing GFI after GFI trying to get the ball.

I also don't agree with "norse"... cause a lot of people feel bad when they are running behind on guys. Bad positioning, or thinking that they are all mighty (putting everything in base contact) can turn out really bad for the noob.

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2017 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi kwek,
some experiences from my new table top league: there are eight players in this league, one quit so I could join. Two of these players are real newbies (one never played blood bowl before). The other six are experienced blood bowl coaches, but still might be called newbies considering fumbbl terms. I'm an experienced fumbbl coach, but surely not one of the best players around here.

My experiences in this league:
One newbie started with Orcs he lost his first game vs. Lizards 0-3, got one perm, was very disappointed and left the league after his first game. Propably won't play blood bowl again. He's the reason I had the chance to join this league.

The other newbie (never played blood bowl before) started with Amazons lost his first game 0-2 vs. Chaos Dwarfs, but he sticked to the game and got better. His fifth game was his first victory vs. Halflings. My woodies had a hard time beating him, I only won 2-1.

The best coach also chose one of the best teams chaos dwarfs! He won six games, only one tie and no loss. His team dominates the league and is the bashiest by far!

My team (front-loaded woodies) joined quite late, I had three close game (won against chaos pact/zons, lost vs. chaos dwarfs) and two easy victories vs. halflings/underworld. My team is at the moment the third best team considering TV and bashing.

The underworld coach is an experienced player who loves chaos teams. He used to play chaos/chaos pact with some success. Other players always said your teams are too strong/bashy. With underworld he gets beaten up badly. Cas difference -17 after 7 games and 6 players dead. TV 1050 after 7 games.

The halfling coach plays halflings with TV 700 to get lots of inducements. He's one of the more experienced coaches. Won 2 games and lost 5.

The chaos pact coach is seems to be quite e experienced, but is only 7th in the league, just one victory.

The human coach does quite ok, two victories, one tie, one defeat, but two perms after only four games.

Finally the lizard coach, a bit experienced, the only one that didn't loose vs. the chaos dwarf team. Third best team, won three games only lost one, but already three perms on his skinks.

My Conclusion: Chaos pact, Underworld and Halflings are hard to coach. Zons, Chaos Dwarfs, Lizards and Woodies are easy mode. Orcs and Humans don't have to be bad, but aren't really forgiving teams for newbies. The teams are a bit above average.
 Jump to: