50 coaches online • Server time: 21:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jabberwocky

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
[...]Jabberwocky
Coach Rank: Rookie (140.80)[...]

It didn't really help that of the 50(!) games that affected my CR, 21 were with a Halfling team without trees (1/1/19), and 11 with a mostly all-Zombie team (2/1/8 ).
Apparently I can't really get myself to play "serious" BB outside of the leagues with my buddies.

221 of my total 368 games have been Stunty games though (a few more actually, back when there were Stunty teams in [L]), and 113 of those were Snot games (and yet again 100 of those with just 1 team).

My point? I don't know if CR is that important when looking at Stunty. Wink

But in the end you're totally right. With Snots a lot depends on how well your Trolls behave (especially when unskilled) and how many Pows get rolled against you. The 2 qualifier games that my team lost went 1-6 and 2-7 in CAS.

A big factor that wasn't mentioned so far (which doesn't affect "regular" play): The spiked ball! My Snots got stabbed off of the field more often than actually picking it up. Wink

After all, Snots are an incredibly fun team to play. And with a bit DT and some skills on Trolls and Wagons, they get a lot better. In my case, not having played Stunty for over 3 years, playing extremely tired and in the middle of the night (due to timezones), not protecting the Splatta Wagon at all, and last but not least, playing mostly for fun (despite it being a Major), most likely made the roster look worse than it actually is.

As for tweaks: Slightly(!) raised SW rolls might indeed be an idea. Getting SPP for CAS on prone players would be awesome.

Disclaimer: Please don't read any of the above as "I'm a good coach."
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 03:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Not trying to pick on you or your CR at all sir. I don't know each coach well enough to say if their CR is accurate, just throwing out a few reasons why teams did what they did. I personally let down the Eshin cause with some horrible play. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

On Eshin though... there seems little reason to play them over Skinks (at least in my view). Maybe going a bit more stab heavy to differentiate them more would help? (more stabby, more fragile?) Both teams seem to be played less, but that may be due in part to the stunty "splat" factor than any thoughts over win %. (I think both have decent chances towin a match, they just get thumped often). Just feel Eshin need something. Even a B&C player, or some DP rats etc. etc.

Stunty could use a bit more 'balling' teams rather than the amount of bash/SW, in various forms, there is atm I feel. A bit side, and the 'splat' has been a big part of the league, but just a vague notion I have. (That's a long, long, way down the line though!)

Thoughts and thoughts and thoughts. As always, everything else aside, it's pretty damn healthy as a ruleset atm generally. And certainly a hell of a lot of fun. I've enjoyed it far, far more than the 'proper' ruleset this past while in any case.
oryx

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 06:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I also can't see the draw of eshin over skinks... Better ma, better armor, and the big draw for eshin is an additional stabber and some shadowers. The assassin is a badass to be sure, but he's still rather fragile, and raptors are great too, once developed. I haven't played much stunty though, so there's probably things I'm missing here.
Mephistodragonbane

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to know where I ended up in the group I was in. Having never played a tournament before it would have been nice to see rather than just be kicked out lol

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it's just me, but I think Horrors are generally underrated. In the Necromiser, they had the 4th highest win percentage, and have only been slightly nerfed since. They haven't done as well this tourney, but then, small sample size, high variance. I also think that they're one of those teams which require some experience with to get good results; they're just so different to any other team. So any coach who chose them for the cup without having played them before was at a disadvantage.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that there's sufficient reason to play with Eshin instead of Skinks. I'd put both teams in the category of: 'can score easily, but get beat up a lot'. Like Elves in regular BB, although the comparison stops there. And in my experience (which is still rather limited) they suffer around the same cas-wise each game. My Eshin average around 4.7 (132/28), my Skinks 4,1 (70/17). So there's a slight difference, but not as much as you'd expect given the av difference. Of course, this is a really small sample so I'd avoid making conclusions based on this.

Moreover, I play them quite differently. Skinks have the speed to be very agressive, it's quite hard to be outpositioned while playing them. With -1mv Eshin have to be a bit more conservative, while still being a fast team of course. But the real difference lies with the Assassin. Sure, the Raptors get general access too, but they can't handle the ball and have frenzy which can be a double-edged sword. The Assassin on the other hand is a one-man team on his own. He's both your blitzer as your ball handler (thrower too if you want) and you have to make the choice as what he's going to be doing most of the time and this can change on a turn by turn basis. In short: you have to make choices/compromises with Eshin which you don't have to do all that much with Skinks at least not to the extent of Eshin. And one extra stabber is nice too as well as some nice defensive players. (Stalkers)

While raptors are great players, you have to be wary of frenzy and protecting two is always harder than protecting one.

But they're both great teams, especially with some stats.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Having spent years reading people bang on about how 'too good' Eshin were (and use other words that should be banned like 'balance' and 'situational'); if in this edition they're not top of everyone's respective pops, I'll live.

I had a Horrors team in the WIL stunty league whilst it lived, and they were just superb at high TR (as it was then). They don't look to have been too hurt in this revision, so I expect they'll still be very handy if used properly, thank you.

On CR; well, CR is a well worn subject, so I'll not talk CR in favour of talking about whether a good, solid BB coach (regardless of his current number) translates instantly to being a good, solid Stunty coach. I actually think you can play Stunty in a pragmatic way and instantly translate into winning games. There are nuances that it takes a small amount of experience to conquer, and risk / reward plays out slightly differently, but LRB6 rewards chancing your arm more than LRB4 ever did, so I think it's probably easier to pick up Stunty now than it's ever been.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Mephistodragonbane wrote:
I'd love to know where I ended up in the group I was in. Having never played a tournament before it would have been nice to see rather than just be kicked out lol

You can look up the results here. Just find which group you were in.
 Jump to: