88 coaches online • Server time: 20:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Loew wrote:
I often play Lizards and I always look for ways to make the TDs with the saurus...that incentive is a lot less strong with this rule.

This sounds like one of the positive effects of the new MVP rule. Possibly less in-game farming.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I like this change & use something similar on TT.

The main criticism seems to be that the 'other guy' is going to use it to min/max. Frankly I don't care, we all play in our own way anyway. Some teams get lucky with SPP going to just the the right player so what is the difference? You probably wont play him again with that team for ages.

Its all out weighed by the benefits: no MVP on Stars Journeymen Dead or permed players. Quicker skilling of your players no getting MVP's on your legend, more FUN building your team.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely hate this new MVP rule, makes it even harder for a fun coach like me to compete with the farmers and meta-gamers. Results in less fun for all in the end
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

As much as i loved the dead mvp and stuff, i think this change was kinda needed with the new season league format.
You can still roll some dice yourself to make it random.
licker

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
As much as i loved the dead mvp and stuff, i think this change was kinda needed with the new season league format.
You can still roll some dice yourself to make it random.

For TT anyone can do anything.

For FUMBBL?

Well that's a different question.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Loew wrote:
I often play Lizards and I always look for ways to make the TDs with the saurus...that incentive is a lot less strong with this rule.

This sounds like one of the positive effects of the new MVP rule. Possibly less in-game farming.

Specific farming yes, aggregate farming, no.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

What prevents you from grabbing some dice and roll them before you pick the 3 mvp bominees licker?
You may even use bowlbot for that.
Wuhan

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This is big for Stunties. 2 Treeman + 1 Skilled fling. 2 Trolls + 1 skilled pogo/looney.

Typically when a halfling/gobbo gets a skill or two, they get fired.

This+ no/clawpomb = A new golden age of Legends and linos.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2016 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Wuhan wrote:
This is big for Stunties. 2 Treeman + 1 Skilled fling. 2 Trolls + 1 skilled pogo/looney.

Typically when a halfling/gobbo gets a skill or two, they get fired.

This+ no/clawpomb = A new golden age of Legends and linos.

The Goblin Bombardier can skill easily too, and with high rate of cycling Hail Mary Pass is more likely.
Pro511

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2016 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember the MVP rule being one of my least favorites when I first learned the game many years ago. MVP on a guy that never even set foot on the pitch? MVP on a dead guy? One guy scores 4 times, one guy kills 4 guys... nope, MVP on the lino who didn't do anything. My opponent only rolls MVPs for his black orcs and I only roll MVPs for my niggled linemen? That's no fun.

I think over the years I got used to the D16 randomness of the MVP system and now it seems "normal".

I'm surprised that the "just play for fun" guys are disliking it. It seems like it would be right up their alley. Give the MVP to your best painted model. Give the MVP to the goblin named "Your Mom". I gotta believe that giving coaches more control over how their team progresses has to make the game "more fun". This sounds perfect for the "I don't care if I win or lose I just want to break things" coaches. Or the "I only play bloodbowl for the fluff and narrative" guys.

I think it's a welcome option for shorter seasons. I think it's a welcome option for customizing teams.

I certainly don't think it creates any more or less opportunities for metagaming. It just changes the metagaming.

And of course, it doesn't stop you from doing it any way you want in your own personal league.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2016 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro511 wrote:
I certainly don't think it creates any more or less opportunities for metagaming. It just changes the metagaming.

Winning sentence of the thread. So true. Great summary!

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2016 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Pro511 wrote:

Winning sentence of the thread. So true. Great summary!

I disagree as it will make metagaming easier in R and B.

The recycling of BG to roll a double first skill would be so easy it will increase metagaming and punish those playing "fair".
Just an exemple but the most obvious one i could find.

There are rules changes that does lower or increase the amount of metagame opportunities (like it was easier to metagame in B before the scheduler takes into account the amount of games played to prevent "xtrem" minmax).
Pro511

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2016 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It's hard for me to assess where metagaming stops and where "just playing the game" begins.

I mean, if we really wanted to kill metagaming, maybe we should just roll up skills randomly rather than just constantly picking the "best" ones. I giving players influence over who gets MVPs introduces less metagaming as having them pick the skills they get when they advance.

Anytime you give players more choice, you give them more opportunity to metagame.

I think any potential abuse of the system is counteracted by the above perks of the D3 system on the tabletop game.

But it will be interesting to see what metagaming/strategizing occurs... and maybe that was part of the initial impetus of this thread.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2016 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I see a vast field of no skill rookie linemen getting stacked up deep in the CAS boxes and feeding the SPP to all those bashers out there.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2016 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to pick three players for my opponent Very Happy