41 coaches online • Server time: 09:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bytez0r

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon wrote:
Bytez0r wrote:

thats the rules, but fairplay- thats something diffrent.

Yes, but the topic of this thread is:

Etiquette: pre-match altering

not Rules: pre-match altering

so true mate Smile. i was just stateing the rules, what i was trying to explain by that, but talking etiquette is something else.. my oppinion was allso that i dont mind anyone doing it.

cheers,
Bytez0r
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is that, actually, FUMBBL rules are not clear enougth (in my opinion). They explicitly allow purchasing (not hiring) players after arranging a match, so it's not clear if you can call off a game due to other alterations (even those that change TR).
Please, clarification on the matter would be nice.

...and if you are going to do the awfull thing of eating a waffle, you better tell that to your oponent, damnation hangs over you if you don't, I'm sure Very Happy
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Eating waffles is a cheesy exploit. All that sugar goes in your brain and makes you smarter. So it's cheating, cause you get a temporary bonus to your CR.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with allowing TR shenanigans is that is makes hosting the game a disadvantage. So if you have +10 TR on your opponent, as soon as you say in the chat that the game is up, they fire a coach, connect as client, and get a handicap. Now if they were hosting, you could wait till they said the game was up, check their team page, if they did a sneaky coach fire trick, you could fire one of your own and avoid the handicap. This kind of game is clearly not somthing that should be encouraged....

That said, I can see why the rules and admins are quiet on this issue. If someone pulled this trick on you and you bail from the game, there is no way of proving what happened. You could run crying to the admins and say they cheated by altering their TR, they could deny it as there is no real way to prove this accusation. They could in fact say you didn't play the match after the client had been connected are you report you to the admins. Neither would be able to prove what happened either way and it just becomes a headache for the hardworking admins.

I think this one will remain somthing that should be universally frowned upon. If someone does this to you curse them and their offspring for eternity (privately though, not in the forums!) and never play them again.....
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

nin wrote:
Problem is that, actually, FUMBBL rules are not clear enougth (in my opinion). They explicitly allow purchasing (not hiring) players after arranging a match, so it's not clear if you can call off a game due to other alterations (even those that change TR).

...and if you are going to do the awfull thing of eating a waffle, you better tell that to your oponent, damnation hangs over you if you don't, I'm sure Very Happy

Hmm...read the Rules page again! They are very clear on this: dropping out of a match that has been joined because new players have been hired is illegal and grounds for various sanctions. Period.

Until the match has been joined, you haven't agreed to anything - and are free to find whatever other match you want.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I must say I don't quite see the problem. OK, so your opponent might get a very very minor advantage in a cheesy way. So what? Just use your superior coaching skills to win the match anyways. Remember that the more cheesy your opponent is, the more satisfying will your victory be.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You play wood elves. That only handicap is Virus.
Sure that's not a very very minor advantage against most wood elves... Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

By choosing to play wood elves, you have to accept that one game in fifty or so will be lost because of virus. Opponents that cheesily get extra an handicap will not change this number significantly.

Also, mainly sub-CR150 players do cheesy things, so out of all virus games, the ones where your opponent has obtained their virus in a cheesy way are the ones that you have the biggest chance to win.
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
nin wrote:

Hmm...read the Rules page again! They are very clear on this: dropping out of a match that has been joined because new players have been hired is illegal and grounds for various sanctions. Period.

I've cuoted the rules earlier in this thread (copy/paste), I'll do that again for you, they say:
@Rules: A game is considered to have started at the moment the clients connect. At this point you are committed to the game and must play it out. Note that this includes scenarios where your opponent purchased new players after the mutual agreement to play. This rule does not apply if any of the participants connects with a team other than the one the game was agreed on.
Hiring is not explicitly mentioned (doen't matter, it's lbr pre-match secuence, but polite to mention).Purchasing players is allowed, and this changes your team, and isn't pre-match secuence. My cuestion is: are other team alterations allowed? are you playing against a different team if its TR changes? or where they say purchasing they are refering to hiring?

Sorry, I'm a little dissapointed with your post, I don't like to repeat myshelf, but if you are concerned with me dropping a game ilegally don't worry, I'm so proud that I'll be glad to see that someone needs to use tricky tactics to play against me Twisted Evil
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

different team means just that ... it has to be a different team than you agreed to play. As an example, when you agree to play someone's TS170 chaos with your TS140 dwarves ... and they join with their TS110 halflings instead, you don't have to play the match. However, if their chaos hired a wizard, and dumped a whole lot of cheerleaders and assistent coaches, you'd still need to play them.

As far as etiquette goes ... the FUMBBL rules (afaik) allow you to change your TR/TS via hiring / dumping cash etc ... but it is polite to tell the other coach, and allow them to do the same.

Waffles on the other hand .... you better not bring them into it -- you could get banned just for mentioning the word!

origami

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually prefer it when my opponent eats a waffle after agreeing to a match. Sure, that sugar will go straight to his head and make him smarter...eventually. In the meantime, however, all of his blood is going straight to his stomach - and away from his brain. Play the game quickly, and you have a major advantage.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

nin wrote:

A game is considered to have started at the moment the clients connect. At this point you are committed to the game and must play it out.

This is the important part - the next bit about hiring players is included as an example (due to it being the most common complaint I suppose). The rule is that once you've both connected to the game you must play it. No matter what. That's what I was trying to clarify. Perhaps it would be clearer if the admins removed the example?

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

completly off topic...

Monohazard I dig your monothestic hazard symbol and name. Very amusing and true all at the same time.
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to point out once more that a "team ready" button would be very handy. That would get rid of this rules contradiction between LRB post-match sequence and FUMBBL client etiquette.
The other (worse) alternative would be to add to "differences from board game" that post-match sequence have been merged with pre-match sequence.
If the proper administrators could get that done soon I will donate another $20 just for that sake. I really dislike contradictory rules.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
Ironik

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Eating waffles is a cheesy exploit. All that sugar goes in your brain and makes you smarter. So it's cheating, cause you get a temporary bonus to your CR.

Very Happy

and dope consuming?
 Jump to: