12 coaches online • Server time: 07:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stormmaster1

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

On tabletop, i just played a few games with chaos. 1st skill i got a DP beastman. Every game i fouled with him every turn untill he got sent off. In next 4 games he got sent off after 1 foul, no opponents removed, injured 1 player and 3 KOs, injured 1 player, 1 KO, 2 stuns, and managed to remove 5 players from the field with a turn 1 GTR. After that he got sent off 1st foul twice.

The thing is as he is just 1 player, and not skilled aside from DP he has a good chance of getting sent off having caused little damage (or only 1 player removed), but if so i have only lost 1 player. I'm not in a bad position. He has the chance of putting in a matchwinning fouling performance if he gets lucky and stays on. I probably won two of those matches purely because of 1 DP. The whole skill of blood bowl is judging the risk benifit. A single DP seems to be lots of potential benifit, but relatively little risk. Lots of foulers, and several players sent off is a bit different.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

stormmaster1 wrote:
On tabletop, i just played a few games with chaos. 1st skill i got a DP beastman. Every game i fouled with him every turn untill he got sent off. In next 4 games he got sent off after 1 foul, no opponents removed, injured 1 player and 3 KOs, injured 1 player, 1 KO, 2 stuns, and managed to remove 5 players from the field with a turn 1 GTR. After that he got sent off 1st foul twice.

The thing is as he is just 1 player, and not skilled aside from DP he has a good chance of getting sent off having caused little damage (or only 1 player removed), but if so i have only lost 1 player. I'm not in a bad position. He has the chance of putting in a matchwinning fouling performance if he gets lucky and stays on. I probably won two of those matches purely because of 1 DP. The whole skill of blood bowl is judging the risk benifit. A single DP seems to be lots of potential benifit, but relatively little risk. Lots of foulers, and several players sent off is a bit different.

beware though, some are really good at anti fouling game style.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2006 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I am new to fumbbl and was quite surprised to see the massive discussions and debates on the tactics and 'morality' of DP. In my tabletop league, fouling and DPs was just a way of life that no one complained about. Your DP spent half his time in the Sin Bin but that was life. The other half of the time he is an invaluable tool.

I always choose DP as the first skill for a lineman, but one is enough. I just cannot see my Orcs not fouling a Wood Elf just because i'm afraid the WE coach might foul back. Orcs are just not that smart.

I will foul every turn (not at the risk of messing up a TD though) and will compliment anyone that fouls back.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: May 15, 2006 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

BHeaded wrote:
I am new to fumbbl and was quite surprised to see the massive discussions and debates on the tactics and 'morality' of DP. In my tabletop league, fouling and DPs was just a way of life that no one complained about. Your DP spent half his time in the Sin Bin but that was life. The other half of the time he is an invaluable tool.

I always choose DP as the first skill for a lineman, but one is enough. I just cannot see my Orcs not fouling a Wood Elf just because i'm afraid the WE coach might foul back. Orcs are just not that smart.

I will foul every turn (not at the risk of messing up a TD though) and will compliment anyone that fouls back.

I think I can confidently say that against a good coach you'll probably lose more than you gain by fouling every turn if you don't Get the Ref, as a good coach will keep his good players out of effective fouls most of the time and this will make you waste precious fouling oppertunitites against good targets, not to mention take some of your focus away from positioning.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Plus some - or at least I - wouldn't foul back and hope to have your team reduced due to players getting ejected. I'd at least wait for your DP to go out before fouling back that is.

-Mnemon
BigMac

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

BUMP
lord_real

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice thread Bigmac. Smile
I really like your initial post. And thats from a person really on the con side of fouling. Razz

Nice tips overall. Smile
chunky04

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2006 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem of avoiding teams with DP in Ranked is self-perpetuating.

I play most of my games in tourneys in unranked, and there I am often a somewhat prolific user of DP.

On my few forays to Ranked however, my main priority is finding a game fairly quickly. This means no DP. As you've mentioned, having a DP yourself to remove the opposition DP is one of the better defences against it. When I don't have the DP - due to the unwritten ettiquette of Ranked - I definitely don't want to play against them.

Of course since I'm mainly building up my Ranked teams (agonizingly slowly) to have a crack at the Ranked tourneys, I will at some point have to add some DP and complete my teams toolkit, at which point the games outside of the tourneys will likely dry up, but I'll be better equipped to compete in those.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2006 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

i love the ideas, given me alot to think about, the thing i dont like is the 3 page ramble afterwards, page's 2 - 4 are abysmal, all moaning!

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2007 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

BUMP

__Synn
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2007 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2007 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn is a master of misdirection.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2007 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted to type a long reply, but all I was offered was a "quick reply"!

If you want to protect yourself against fouls, learn better positioning. Better positioning will make your team more of a threat to score or take the ball away. You must know when to press an advantage and when to protect a weakness. It is tough for your opponent to gang up on your players if he needs all of his players to stop what you are trying to do.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2007 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

if you want to protect yourself vs fouls, give up playing

that's about it

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2007 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Big Mac is back? Shocked No. Calm down. Just another bumped thread.

Jump to: