12 coaches online • Server time: 07:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gordreg

Post   Posted: May 20, 2009 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

... and it was abruptly revealed that the location of this year\'s \'Interesting Times\' event is not, in fact, quite as interesting as the name of the tournament had suggested. The tournament this year appears to be held in the cities of the Sto plains; easily within travelling distance of Ankh-Morpork.

League Commissioner and President of the Blood Bowl Guild, C.M.O.T. Dibbler, has reputed this by suggesting that the tournament location IS in fact interesting; provided, of course, that the fans are interested in Cabbages, the growing of Cabbages, Cabbage Beer and the Cabbage museum. Oh, and that Quirm has a floral clock that might be worth a second look, and that there are souvenirs of it sold at the Quirm stadium for a price that was practically cutting his own throat.

Regardless of if fans decide to purchase a dodgy clock souvenir or not, the first deadline for the league is the 30th of May. If there are any problems getting your game played on time then please contact the staff member for your division; extensions may be given if you can arrange definite a time to play the game but that not letting a staff member know will most likely lead to a forfeit.

The Champions of each division get an Automatic place in the \'Discworld Cup\', as do the second place team. Both are also LIKELY to get promotion, but this is not yet certain as I currently don’t know what next season’s league structure will look like.

Good look in the season everyone, and remember to keep to the Discworld restrictions!

And to finish this message, I leave you with words that will soon be heard on many a Discworld blood bowl pitch by many a player facing down the charging might of an entire opposing team.

‘Stercus stercus morticus sum’!

The first season has kicked off, but that doesn't mean the league is closed. Applications are still welcome; I never know when I might need to substitute in a new team to replace one dropping out. The more teams on the reserve list, the higher the chances we expand next season!
Grin

Post   Posted: May 20, 2009 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Comment from Twoflower:
"The Sto Plains sound so interesting. I never was there. I heard they have cabbage stamps, oh, I need some of them to send my family post cards! And does anybody know where I can purchase a cabbage souvenir clock? I am so fancy about Sto!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great work, Gordreg!!! Very Happy
Grin

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Do we have a channel?
Crazy_Lemur

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the league fluff and wacky rules, unfortunately I know nothing about discworld Very Happy
If you can overlook this fact I might be able to make a team for season 2 or replacements.

-CL
Grin

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope! We can't! Lemur, you are joining far too much leagues! Wink
Gordreg

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been briefly making a #Discworld channel when I've been on for the past few days, but though I've sent a request to have Nuffle for it, there's nothing official yet.

And Lemur; even if that's the case now doesn't mean it has to be for very long. Go out and buy/borrow a discworld book tomorrow; hopefully momentum will have carried you through much the series by the start of season 2! Razz

(If you DO, I'd personally reccomend 'Guards! Guards!' as a good entry point to the series.)
Crazy_Lemur

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I have 2 discworld books (I think) wee free men and one with the reaper in it. I'm gonna dig them up and read them Very Happy
I have time for leagues, my exams finish soon, woohoo

-CL
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Wee Free Men is a book aimed at slightly younger readers, its still good but a little bit more fairytale-ish than other discworld books.

I'd recommend Going Postal or Small Gods. They're all good though Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Crazy_Lemur

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks SillySod, i'll do a bit of research into it, see if i can get some good prices. I do think I got wee free men when i was like 10 so you might have a point there.

The other one I have is aimed at not so younger readers (I think) Very Happy

-CL
Royston

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Crazy_Lemur wrote:
Thanks SillySod, i'll do a bit of research into it, see if i can get some good prices. I do think I got wee free men when i was like 10 so you might have a point there.

The other one I have is aimed at not so younger readers (I think) Very Happy

-CL

Wee Free Men is definitely worth the read. Very funny.

I'd recommend starting with Guards! Guards! as Godreg said, but that is because the Watch are my favourite characters. Very Happy

I'd also suggest going to the library, picking up 1/2 dozen Discworld books (any of them, you don't need to read them in order) and reading them, that's what I did about 6 years ago, now I've read them all and quite a lot of Terry's other stuff too, except (I think) the Johnny Maxwell series.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2009 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Read "Interesting Times", since our first Round is favouring it! Smile
Grin

Post   Posted: May 22, 2009 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Bloody first match for the Mighty Silver Horde. But hey, what did you expect from Barbarian Heroes?! Wink

!ROAR!
JoeMalik

Post   Posted: May 26, 2009 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

There are some nice anthologies of the german versions but I dont know if they exist in english.
I mean Moving Pictures and Reaper Man or Witches Abroad and Small Gods for about 8 Euros is just brilliant
FraServitus

Post   Posted: May 29, 2009 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Headology vs philosophy, headology vs headbutt-ology; the witches of Lancre beat the philosophers of Ephebe and the golems in the first two match of the first international, interracial, interlocal bloodbowl league of the Disc. By the way, how could the shamans take better accomodations in the local hotels in Sto Lat, as the famous, fabulous stars of our team? Scandalous...
Royston

Post   Posted: May 29, 2009 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

*Wanted Dead or Alive*

Clint the Troll for the murder of Constable Wade Winchenbach of the Pseudopolis City Watch.

While demonstrating the latest crowd control techniques at a Blood Bowl match the Watch were set upon by a group of Trolls led by tiny blue Pictsies. Immediately the Watch decended on the wee ones and started to control them as best as possible. However the early death of Wade "In the Mud" Winchenbach spurred the Watch on to new heights and they quickly overcame the Pictsies, even managing to stop them in their attempt to perform an illegal TTM movement.

Captain Kronberger had this to say when cornered, "Nos venit, nos vultus, nos ledo suum solum in Cruor Scaphium agri".