14 coaches online • Server time: 06:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Macavity,

Why aren't you out buying beer for the Grey Cup?

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
That depends on why the rule was created.

If two coaches who never foul agree not to foul in a certain game, how is that unfair to anyone?

It is still illegal for London taxi drivers to drive their cabs unless they are carrying a bail of hay. Smile

Ah - but when you start agreeing not to foul pre-match it starts a vicious cycle. Some coaches will eventually end up only playing coaches who answer "No" to the question "Do you foul?".

It encourages cherry picking, limits the amount of opponents and devides such things as Ranked into different groups of players (namely non foulers and the rest), and as such works against the spirit of competitiveness that is the foundation of Ranked. You can not be truly competitive unless you play a wide variety of opponents and teams.
If you refuse to follow these rules you are actively abusing the Ranked system.

If some people refuse to play a game on the basis that they know that their opponent <i>might</i> foul it's against the spirit of the game.

If some people know that they can casually dance along the sidelines because you've agreed not to crowdpush you are making it easier on yourself and your team.

That's why it's not allowed - at least that's how I view it Wink
Korenn

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

where does it say that it's not allowed to have turns longer than 4 minutes? Only in the LRB?
pushbloke

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I think points should be awarded for fouls, just like the old days, one blitz, one throw, one foul. points if successful, it would immediately stop all the whinging
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Hey Macavity,

Because I'm married to football. The two biggest football fans I have ever met are my wife and father-in-law. Grey Cup and SuperBowl are always holidays with more snacks than even I can eat, and GOOD beer (Yes, you crazy Belgians, it does exist here). If they have time, the In-Laws will even go buy Guiness just for me! My Dad and little brother will probably come this year, as well. To bad there isn't a team worth cheering for.....

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:

Ah - but when you start agreeing not to foul pre-match it starts a vicious cycle. Some coaches will eventually end up only playing coaches who answer "No" to the question "Do you foul?".

It encourages cherry picking, limits the amount of opponents and devides such things as Ranked into different groups of players (namely non foulers and the rest), and as such works against the spirit of competitiveness that is the foundation of Ranked. You can not be truly competitive unless you play a wide variety of opponents and teams.
If you refuse to follow these rules you are actively abusing the Ranked system.

If some people refuse to play a game on the basis that they know that their opponent <i>might</i> foul it's against the spirit of the game.

If some people know that they can casually dance along the sidelines because you've agreed not to crowdpush you are making it easier on yourself and your team.

That's why it's not allowed - at least that's how I view it Wink

Good points RedFish. But does that mean that it is unfair?
If the game is a one off though it is against the rules I don't see how it is unfair to anyone.

People already avoid other teams because they have DPs, MBs, Claws, one turners e.t.c.

I am not disagreeing with the rule I am just asking why is worse than agreeing to 5 minute turns. Smile

I would have thought that the rule also covers agreeing to long turns.

I also think that some people, maybe because of disabilty, should be allowed longer turns.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

pushbloke wrote:
I think points should be awarded for fouls, just like the old days, one blitz, one throw, one foul. points if successful, it would immediately stop all the whinging

Honestly I think it's a terrible idea. I don't care if people foul me in T16 but the last thing I want them to do it have an excuse to do so.

If you do it then at least have the guts to admit you did it because you wanted to - for whatever reason.

It would also increase the amount of tactically less sound fouls. It would vastly increase the number of DPs on all players as it would be <b>THE</b> SPP earning skill. Why give your guy MB when you can give him DP? Greater chance of injury, greater chance of SPPs and it keeps your star safe in the dug outs after the game is decided.

Why add insult to the injury when the other guy is already down to 3 players and you are ahead 5-0 late in the 2nd half. "Im just gang fouling your guys with my players for SPPs so don't worry..."

It just wouldn't work.

Cheers, by the way! Razz
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Korenn wrote:
where does it say that it's not allowed to have turns longer than 4 minutes? Only in the LRB?

Isn't the LRB enough?

As we don't have to roll the dice and check the tables maybe we should have less time than RL.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Good points RedFish. But does that mean that it is unfair?
If the game is a one off though it is against the rules I don't see how it is unfair to anyone.

People already avoid other teams because they have DPs, MBs, Claws, one turners e.t.c.

I am not disagreeing with the rule I am just asking why is worse than agreeing to 5 minute turns. Smile

I would have thought that the rule also covers agreeing to long turns.

I also think that some people, maybe because of disabilty, should be allowed longer turns.

pre game agreement are cheating and it goes against the -supposed- fairness for ranked.

What about:

"let us have a soft high scoring game and foul less"=>these 2 coaches are just improvng their team, farming, on mutual agreement (not one just beeing better than the other).

Now 5 mins agreement.
=>what the hell. On 99% on the time, a 5 min coach can take 5 min or 10. Except getting me bored, it doesn't make any difference. He just fail to properly preparre his moves. Just when a real great coach try to preparre a genius move and this happens not that often.

Slow players are boring and annoying, but not getting any tactical advantage over you.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

pushbloke wrote:

Though it sounds right and in the spirit of the game I don't think that encouraging more fouling is the way forward. Smile

Fouling upsets people. That is an important consideration whether you think that they are right to be upset or not.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, fine. You want a serious answer, here is a serious answer.

Slow Play can be very irritating (as has been stated 100s of times). People often set aside specific amounts of time for matches, so long play can really mess things up (as has been stated 100s of times). Sometimes people do get called away do to phone calls, children, or whatever (as has been stated 100s of times).
If you know in advance, it is obviously polite to mention that you may take a while. If you know in advance that you are in a rush, announce that pre-game. The concept of penalizing slow play is pointless and ridiculous and takes away fro mthe game. I'm sorry if you find Slow Play irritating, but checking first is all you can do. Keeping within the outlined (4 minute) time limit, is polite and can, to a certain degree, be expected. Fumbbl has a response time of 15 minutes as the absolute limit to wait.

Realistically, unless you are in one of those situations where your time is extremely limited, you are getting too stressed about it. Really. I'm not the world's biggest expert, but I've taken many psychology courses, and am married to a Nurse (well, she will be shortly). Stress kills. That simple. If you find yourself so easily annoyed at people you are playing a game with, take a break. Take a walk. Wasting your worry over someone in another country who added even a full hour to your playing time is a sign that there is much else wrong. So stop. Read my forum signature one more time. Shut down the computer. Walk around the block. Sing a nice song to yourself (Folk, Jazz, or a hymn. calming songs). Come back. Eat something, drink some water, and re-open fumbbl on the computer. If you're remotely healthy (psychologically) you should feel much better. If you're really lucky, Mezir will have locked this thread!

Mac out.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
koadah wrote:
Hey Macavity,

Because I'm married to football. The two biggest football fans I have ever met are my wife and father-in-law. Grey Cup and SuperBowl are always holidays with more snacks than even I can eat, and GOOD beer (Yes, you crazy Belgians, it does exist here). If they have time, the In-Laws will even go buy Guiness just for me! My Dad and little brother will probably come this year, as well. To bad there isn't a team worth cheering for.....

I'll try to watch it this year. It still looks kinda wierd to me. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Ok, fine. You want a serious answer, here is a serious answer.

Slow Play can be very irritating (as has been stated 100s of times). People often set aside specific amounts of time for matches, so long play can really mess things up (as has been stated 100s of times). Sometimes people do get called away do to phone calls, children, or whatever (as has been stated 100s of times).
If you know in advance, it is obviously polite to mention that you may take a while. If you know in advance that you are in a rush, announce that pre-game. The concept of penalizing slow play is pointless and ridiculous and takes away fro mthe game. I'm sorry if you find Slow Play irritating, but checking first is all you can do. Keeping within the outlined (4 minute) time limit, is polite and can, to a certain degree, be expected. Fumbbl has a response time of 15 minutes as the absolute limit to wait.

Realistically, unless you are in one of those situations where your time is extremely limited, you are getting too stressed about it. Really. I'm not the world's biggest expert, but I've taken many psychology courses, and am married to a Nurse (well, she will be shortly). Stress kills. That simple. If you find yourself so easily annoyed at people you are playing a game with, take a break. Take a walk. Wasting your worry over someone in another country who added even a full hour to your playing time is a sign that there is much else wrong. So stop. Read my forum signature one more time. Shut down the computer. Walk around the block. Sing a nice song to yourself (Folk, Jazz, or a hymn. calming songs). Come back. Eat something, drink some water, and re-open fumbbl on the computer. If you're remotely healthy (psychologically) you should feel much better. If you're really lucky, Mezir will have locked this thread!

Mac out.

You addressed this one to whom? And why are you asking it to be closed?

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Do not discuss or agree on in-game strategy before the game is started. This includes agreeing on not fouling or any other type of in-game events.

Oh I found it. It's a local FUMBBL rule.

Well if one would like to enforce that then coach pages should be reviewed and censored. I've seen a lot of them saying: "I will not foul if you do not start fouling". That's agreeing on not fouling before the game is started, isn't it?

Doesn't matter. Usually I'm playing wiht non-stunty teams coached by experienced coaches who know that one doesn't need to foul to win the game. Furthermore IMO one doesn't need DP to foul. So if I play opponents without DPs it doesn't matter whether they foul or not.

koadah wrote:
You have quite a good win percentage. Would it be such a big problem to keep to 4 minutes?

I had a game with four disconnects within the one particular turn. As the game was restored from SAV file I played that turn four times from the very first move. There were blitz, pass+catch and some dodging. It took me almost 2,5 minutes to just 'move' the players for the fourth time - no thinking as I learnt what to do by heart.

The other reason is calculating the odds. Some say that I have 'a daring game style'. To find a best solution I usually need 2-3 minutes to analyze the situation on the pitch. This totals with 'just moving' to the 5 minutes which I try to not exceed (too often). However if opponents are loaded with skills (specially Tackles and Guards) it happens that I need even 8-10 minutes per turn.

My shortest game took 55 minutes (opponent conceded in the 11th round) while longest - 3 hours 15 minutes (which only my old buddies can stand).

Post 3 Posted: Nov 26, 2005 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

One more thing. I would very appreciate and find it very helpfull if I could set up JBB client to signal not only 4 minutes but also other periods.
Example:
- '2 minutes' ring saying: "enough thinking, start moving - go, go, go, go!!!",
- '3,5 minutes' ring saying: "all or nothing - do it NOW!!!"