67 coaches online • Server time: 23:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Johnny_Ryce

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2007 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Rest brave warriors of Odin, for season 4 was not for you. Gather your strength and return for glory in season 5!

Season IV Stats for The Icy Black Hand of Death:
(Record: 0-0-3)

Team Records
CAS for: 8
CAS against: 6
TD for: 2
TD against: 4
Total Fouls for: 0
Total Fouls against: 2
Highest gate: 82K vs. Elfland Hawks
FF change: -1

Individual Records
Most Completions: Arinbjorn X Prez w/ 3
Most Int: None
Most CAS: Sven Forge w/ 4
Most TDs: Tie Jorunn Sleet and Hawkeye Halldor w/ 1
Increase in SPPs over the season: Geirmund Glacier w/ 9
Most Fouls: None again.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2007 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The Delbstadt Ducks have broken their losing streak!
Delbstadt Ducks vs Men in Skirts

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

congrats to Tautology for wrapping up a the Premiere division with a WIN!
lets get this post season tourney under way, shall we!

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay technically The way fumbbl plays it if two teams finish with the same points, fumbbl randomly assigns a winner. For next season, not only will we have a longer season, more games, but we will likely combine the two Premiere Conferences, so we will have a head-to-head tie-breaker, and I will also put other points, for TD difference, and possibly Cas difference. So hopefully my lack of foresight will lead to us once again improving NWL in the off-season.

Using the obvious tie-breaker of TD differential, it is actually Craftnburn with Blud n'Gutz that 'wins' the conference and the playoff tourney will be seeded as such.

again this is my fault, so apologies all around, I will start the tournaments for Premiere soon so we can find out I'm relegated. heheh Evil or Very Mad

Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:
Using the obvious tie-breaker of TD differential, it is actually Craftnburn with Blud n'Gutz that 'wins' the conference and the playoff tourney will be seeded as such.

Actually Tautology and I are dead even on TD differential (6/2=+4 vs 5/1=+4). But I beat him out on Cas differential (10/4=+6 vs 5/6=-1) to win the tiebreak.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

prophane wrote:
congrats to Tautology for wrapping up a the Premiere division with a WIN!
lets get this post season tourney under way, shall we!

I see your loyalty is only Greenskin deep! Wink
Fool

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

greenskin.... greenscale.... whats the difference?

GO ELFS!!!
screech

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2007 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I don't understand these regulation tournaments.

Now I'm still stuck in the fringe, with only a loooooong shot chance of promotion, so it doesn't affect me directly, but this new full round of tournaments makes no sense to me.

First of all, wasn't the whole point of the "Season 4 Tournaments" was to see how well each team ranks. So basically, except in the fringe, you get to compete in 2 tournaments for a season.

Ok, so now teams who are destined to be deregulated down, have the great opportunity to thankfully gain more TR from this new set of tournaments, which they of course must now shed because of deregulation. Seems counterproductive.

Not only that, now that every other teams get at least one extra game in, they will be that much tr/ts stronger from the new promotions, (and yes I know that potentially a team could be destroyed rather than improved from more games, but I think that for a majority of teams the improvement is more likely). This make it that much harder for the newly promoted teams to compete in a new division next season. This will make the divisions clique-ish and insulating, preventing a fair fluidity amongst the divisions.

So my question is; why should the losers of the tournament be given a bonus?

Right now half of each division are in contention for the championship of their division. So what does that mean? A team had to ensure they only lose 1 of their 3 games, and not necessarily win the other 2? I mean Tod clarifies a few posts up that technically Craftnburn won his conference over tautology, but what difference does it make they're both in contention for the Championship?

I think that if everybody really wants a post-season(and I'm not totally adverse to a post season), it should ONLY be the 2 top teams competing in 1 final game. That way not only will it give us a clear-cut winner, there will also be some advantage for being the leaders of a division.

Now I understand with growth of the league you might want some sort of playoffs to see who are the season champions, but right now with only 8 teams in a division, it seems like overkill. And why deregulation tournaments, it only rewards losing teams, and even more cruelly, rewards some losers, before requiring them strip themselves of said benefits.

…but then again, what do I know?

Last edited by screech on %b %01, %2007 - %06:%Feb; edited 4 times in total
prophane

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2007 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

after talking with screech and reading this post, i think i agree with him. this does make sense. what do you all think?

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2007 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

okay, first, I decided to split each division into 2 4-team conferences because I was worried the NWL might go extinct if we suffered another season like S3. A quick season that saw some success would be good for the league, a bad season would be deadly.

The tournament idea came to be because everyone not in fringe kept asking me "why only 3 matches for a season?". "fringe gets 5 games?! Do we have to wait for them to finish before season 5 starts?"

Furthermore, to answer directly some of what Screech asked, I think of the season the place to "develop" and the tournament is the place to find out who is best. I seeded the winners of each conference with the 2nd place of the other conference. Only the winners of the tourney first round will get another game so 4 teams will get a 5th match. I still don't understand the argument. These teams are all "staying up" the teams coming up are not supposed to come up and be equal.

That being said, I am already aware of things I would change in hopes of improving for season 5, and here are some of them, let me know what you think.

1. Premiere go back to one group, 8 teams, 7 matches in the season.
2. Veterans may do the same (need to see season end retention)
3. Points may be given for TDs scored Casualties inflicted.
4. Tie breakers will be head-to-head, TD+/-, Cas +/-
5. No tournament at season end.
6. The TR caps have been and are being hotly discussed.

I'm going to try and redefine "fair" I think this will go a long way to help many coaches on fumbbl enjoy a longer and happier life here. Surprised)

Let me know here or via pm any other ideas you have, or any suggestions comments about these changes or whatever.

Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2007 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I still like the YE tournament and think the top 4 (or top 2 teams) should play for the championship and the bottom 4 (or 2) should play for relegation. I like the day DTF did it this year (except for the short season). The relegation tournament gives teams one last chance to stay up.

This is good in case one of the 2 divisions was much harder than the other.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2007 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:

Furthermore, to answer directly some of what Screech asked, I think of the season the place to "develop" and the tournament is the place to find out who is best. I seeded the winners of each conference with the 2nd place of the other conference. Only the winners of the tourney first round will get another game so 4 teams will get a 5th match.

My point of contention is these regulation tournaments. Yeah I think the championship games should only be a 1 off amongst the conference leaders, but hey I'm a true blooded American, so I like winners like the rest of you, so whatever.

Back to the point, let’s look at the veteran relegation tournament as an example. Four teams are participating in this tournament to prevent them from being demoting to the fringe, and having to cut TR from their team. 3 out of the 4 teams are already at least 15 TR over the fringe limit, with the 4th team at 148 TR, meaning 1 more game will also, baring a massacre, push them over the TR cuts for the fringe. Looking at these teams shows also that they are not hoarding mounds of money, so they will have to cut players, or RR’s rather then just dump the surplus.

So these teams play their 1st round in the regulation tourney.
The losers face the ignominy of being first; Losers, second; demoted down a division, and finally; any possible gains, must also be shedded, due to the TR limits of the lower division. Harsh. These teams (ok 3 out of 4) are already over the limit, and now they gain more just so they can drop a bigger load.

That seems to me to be....how do you say...CRAP? But then it's not over because the 2 winners get to compete to see who is the winner of the losers, or at least the least loserish of the losers. Not only do they get an extra game in, which isn't to prevent a de-relegation, because only the first game of the tourney decides that, but they get an extra game over the teams that did better then them in the season, but lost the first game of the championship. I state again that this game is superfluous, and only helps to inflate losing (but not LOSING) teams TR, and for the prestige of what? The award of being crowned the median team of the season.

Quote:

I still don't understand the argument. These teams are all "staying up" the teams coming up are not supposed to come up and be equal.

These extra games help inflate the tr/ts of teams, who didn't do outstanding during the season. Yeah new and upcoming teams aren't supposed to be equal, but why exacerbate the difference? On average you gain about 7/8 TR per game played (just looking at TR progressions of a handful of my teams, so this average is no way scientific); this will skew the existing division teams higher. I'm thinking that will lead to more unequal matchups as the new teams, who are more likely skewed down in TR, vs the already established division teams, who will be skewed up in TR (too many skews). These mishmashes of TR will, I think we can agree, favor the higher TR teams as the winners in these games. Thus lower teams will be promoted, but due to these extra games raising the bar for the competition, will odds on in competing in the higher division for only one season, before be regulated back (and I won't mention the extra tr that must be shedded due to the regulation tournament). I mean I could be wrong, and only time will tell, but I think this will cause an unfair advantage for established teams.

Quote:

That being said, I am already aware of things I would change in hopes of improving for season 5, and here are some of them, let me know what you think.

1. Premiere go back to one group, 8 teams, 7 matches in the season.
2. Veterans may do the same (need to see season end retention)
3. Points may be given for TDs scored Casualties inflicted.
4. Tie breakers will be head-to-head, TD+/-, Cas +/-
5. No tournament at season end.
6. The TR caps have been and are being hotly discussed.

I'm going to try and redefine "fair" I think this will go a long way to help many coaches on fumbbl enjoy a longer and happier life here. Surprised)

Let me know here or via pm any other ideas you have, or any suggestions comments about these changes or whatever.

I understand that this is a league in progress Tod, and I appreciate your time and effort in keeping it running, and thank you for listening to me.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2007 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Somewhat OT but still concerning Season 5.

Question:
How does changing your team race work in NWL?

Answer:
As I see it, Premiere coaches ought to have 1st crack at a new race. the reason for this is 3-fold.

1. By being in Premiere they have demonstrated that they will get their games played (we will not allow a flakey coach to advance). And giving an unknown coach in Fringe first choice doesn't seem fair.

2. By dropping out of Premiere it is an automatic drop to Fringe thereby allowing new teams/coaches advancement into the top tier Divisions.

3. When I say new race I mean it, said coach must choose a different race than the one they are retiring. I would like to require a change in type of team too, like you cant retire your orcs and choose Chaos, you should have to play Agility or betweener team, but that might be too restrictive.

At the end of each season it would be great if coaches would PM me their intention to change races, and their top 3-5 choices for race.

So if anyone is thinking of not playing or switching races and starting again please feel free to let me know now.

prophane

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2007 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

St Louis Hams
team & individual stats for season iv (Record: 0-1-2 [again]):
Team Records
CAS for: 10 (improved by 5 here!)
CAS against: 4 (improved by 1 here!)
TDs for: 3
TDs against: 6 (improved by 1 here!)
Total Fouls for: 1
Total Fouls against: 0 (played much nicer teams this season!)
Highest gate: 70k vs Northern Wastes Jihad Squad
Lowest gate: 51k vs Dead Body Love Affair
FF change: 0 (0+1-1)

Individual Records please list number, player name, position, and number of stat:
Most Completions: 11, Marc Bludger, Thrower with 2
Most Int: n/a
Most CAS: 2, #76 Orlando Pain, Blitzer with 3
Most TDs: 3 tied wth 1 each
Increase in SPPs over the season: 12, #81 Gory Holt with 15
Most Fouls: 16, oh no! with 1

next season, were comin down to the VET league! watch out!

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2007 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I just had an epiphany! Screech you are correct in that; with one hand we were giving an extra game to help "loser teams" build while with the other hand we potentially take away by dropping them down to the lower division and make them cut TR, but by doing so, they are "buying" their way to competing against much softer opponents against which they will rebuild for a season.

Team management is a huge part of bloodbowl, especially long term leagues and an aspect of the game that is often overlooked in the online world where team recreation takes about 15 minutes from start to approved.

Now in an effort to make NWL run smoothly, here's the deal for Season 5.
1. Premiere and Vets will each combine their conferences into one division, i e (1 8-team Premiere, and 1 8-team Veteran Division)
2. season 5 will be 7 matches long
3. TR Caps will stay in place as is for season 5. we need data. Surprised)
4. 1st tiebreaker is hth competion, 2nd is TD differential, then cas differential.
5. relegations/promotions will stay as is, i think.

There is still time to make suggestions, so PM or post soon.

Season 5 will start approx. 1 week after season 4 Fringe finishes.

Jump to: