29 coaches online • Server time: 02:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ug

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2007 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Reminder: Season 4 TR caps:
NWL – Premiere Division – (TR Cap. 235)
NWL – Veterans Division – (TR Cap. 190)
NWL - Fringe – (TR Cap. 150)

I'd propose lowering the TR Cap on Fringe. New teams come in at 100 and facing up to a 50 point TR difference is not fun.
I'd like new teams and newly promoted teams to have a chance of winning a division in their first season. The chance to win is one of the factors that make leagues fun for me.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

hang on - playing a TR 190 team with TR 130 is better? Fringe needs to be able to raise up to a level where they can slot into Veterans without getting slaughtered.

If there's enough demand, you can have a seperate division that's only for brand new TR 100 teams, that get folded into Fringe after every season
Shaka808

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ug wrote:
Reminder: Season 4 TR caps:
NWL – Premiere Division – (TR Cap. 235)
NWL – Veterans Division – (TR Cap. 190)
NWL - Fringe – (TR Cap. 150)

I'd propose lowering the TR Cap on Fringe. New teams come in at 100 and facing up to a 50 point TR difference is not fun.
I'd like new teams and newly promoted teams to have a chance of winning a division in their first season. The chance to win is one of the factors that make leagues fun for me.

I think maybe balancing out the fringe conferences seedings could be a solution also. I know hes refering to me its bad enough facing 60+ TR diff but then getting hosed by the dice double hurts. I know our fringe div has 2 x TR 150+ teams (though I believe the norse started low and just steamrolled with spps and money.

Another radical idea is to have another "newbie" conference of only brand spanking new teams - if a team gets relegated from fringe they are so disgraced they are forced to retire and the coach starts a new team in the "newbie" division.

Not sure how feaseable that would be with player #'s and all but something along those lines would keep things fresh and possibily combat the big fish small pond strategy of just surviving and dominating the fringe every year insted of trying to get to premiere.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 05:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this goes a bit counter to what we've established, but what if we allow teams to come in lower? Like you can come into the Fringe at 150, but you must stay below 175 or something?

I don't want it to get too micromanaged, or confusing, either. again the idea is that in the post season, you will move up and those up there will be in the same TR range as you, those coming down will make-weight and again be in the vacinity too.

Shaka808

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

What about two fringe divs ? one of 125-150 TR teams taken from upper div dropouts and one of 100-125 TR teams taken from new teams and the ones that diddnt win the conf (those would need to cutdown to 125).

Just more random ideas on keeping newbies intrested insted of relying 100% on scheduleing luck to survive the season.
Domsterlord

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I undersand why all the "mini playoffs" were canceled but will there be at least agame between the two conference winners to determine who won the season? Otherwise nobody really knows...

Dom

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

NWL - No Winners League - You don't win it, you just survive!!!
Ug

Post 14 Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

What about two fringe divs ? one of 125-150 TR teams taken from upper div dropouts and one of 100-125 TR teams taken from new teams and the ones that diddnt win the conf (those would need to cutdown to 125).

Just more random ideas on keeping newbies intrested insted of relying 100% on scheduleing luck to survive the season.

Excellent idea!!! This would get me to stick around and very likely totally enjoy next season! Very Happy
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2007 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

...didn't I just suggest something very similar?
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2007 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Would you be totally against letting teams in that had more than 0 games experience?

The problem here is management of a new rookie team tournament every season will become tedious. We don't want the focus to become Fringe. Not to mention, what do we do if there are only a couple rookie teams? Throw them to the wolves where there is even more chance of getting stomped, or let them play a round robin against themselves over and over?

1. If we allow new teams into Fringe with <150 TR, then we can happily continue with the Fringe as is. If you want in, you can apply for a racial spot then build the team elsewhere beforehand and you should be good.

2. we could also not do a fringe tourney, or make it voluntary with the left-overs (teams not participating) free to play matches against each other, though I foresee new basher teams not getting matches as regularly.

What say you?

Edit: I've thought about this for a couple minutes and I like the idea of allowing non-league games in the offseason etc for Fringe. It allows teams to "reinvent" themselves, train hard and come back as contenders. What do you guys think? TR 150 still in play here.

Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2007 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure (if memory serves) I'd played a couple games with my team before joining, so I can't say I'd have a problem
Shaka808

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2007 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem id have with allowing teams with non league games in is you could easily create a fairly "cherry picked team" or just keep making teams, playing games till you got a bunch of doubles or stat bonus as your first skills etc.

Id rather see either a lower TR Cut or forcing fringe to "retire" after 2 seasons w/o getting out of the fringe. Also if possible stagger the schedule better *dont know if you can force set schedules or if its always random*

Also two four or six man fringe leagues doesnt seem like too far of a possibility. I think even allowing the premiere guys to startup a brand new newbie team or something to give the new league members a chance to get games in.

Da_Todfatha wrote:
Would you be totally against letting teams in that had more than 0 games experience?

The problem here is management of a new rookie team tournament every season will become tedious. We don't want the focus to become Fringe. Not to mention, what do we do if there are only a couple rookie teams? Throw them to the wolves where there is even more chance of getting stomped, or let them play a round robin against themselves over and over?

1. If we allow new teams into Fringe with <150 TR, then we can happily continue with the Fringe as is. If you want in, you can apply for a racial spot then build the team elsewhere beforehand and you should be good.

2. we could also not do a fringe tourney, or make it voluntary with the left-overs (teams not participating) free to play matches against each other, though I foresee new basher teams not getting matches as regularly.

What say you?

Edit: I've thought about this for a couple minutes and I like the idea of allowing non-league games in the offseason etc for Fringe. It allows teams to "reinvent" themselves, train hard and come back as contenders. What do you guys think? TR 150 still in play here.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2007 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
I'm pretty sure (if memory serves) I'd played a couple games with my team before joining, so I can't say I'd have a problem

I assure you this is not the case. You have only played matches against other NWL teams so far, starting with the New Ork Giants, you simply played during season 3 so any matches certainly "felt" random. Surprised)

Shaka808 wrote:
Problem id have with allowing teams with non league games in is you could easily create a fairly "cherry picked team" or just keep making teams, playing games till you got a bunch of doubles or stat bonus as your first skills etc.

True, this could happen, but I think it is less likely to happen here because a) we are not a ranked tourney between a bunch of strangers. b) "a bunch of doubles or stats" would be like 3 a TR 150 c) if anyone here wants to win that badly they likely will have already left due to the quality of coach playing in the NWL.

Shaka808 wrote:
Id rather see either a lower TR Cut or forcing fringe to "retire" after 2 seasons w/o getting out of the fringe. Also if possible stagger the schedule better *dont know if you can force set schedules or if its always random*

Forcing teams to retire doesn't seem fair, and remember there are 10 teams staying each season, seems like a lot of forced retirement. Your killer teams at 150 will not have such easy pickins due to the allowed non-league games to prep for NWL. Maybe we retire the bottom 2 or something.

Shaka808 wrote:
Also two four or six man fringe leagues doesnt seem like too far of a possibility. I think even allowing the premiere guys to startup a brand new newbie team or something to give the new league members a chance to get games in.

Any coach not playing a team in Fringe is allowed to have a second team. It's actually been on the group page all season. I don't want to run multiple tournaments in Fringe, one for newbies one for experienced teams etc. I would rather either see everyone play in a single tourney there, or make it completely free for all. If/when I need a replacement team for Vet, I will take the highest ranked team of the correct type and bring them up to the big leagues. Surprised)

Bacillen

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2007 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd vote no for any sort of forced retirement.
That's a matter of the coach's enjoyment of their team...win, lose or die.

I think the TR cap of 150 for fringe is also fine - new teams (and coaches going for the retire & replace option) are not supposed to have it easy. Playing TR150 teams with TR100 teams is really not that big a deal either - people do it all the time in the SWL and there are TR100 teams that win SWL regional divisions and promote ahead of cut-back TR150 demotees (my Orcs did this for example, but it's not that uncommon).

You also get TR130-40 teams promoting into the TR200 conferences, and being proud to do so ! The idea is you get a buzz from the challenge, not fiddle the rules to make it a cake-walk !

Division size is probably pretty important in all this though: less than about 8 in a div (7 games) would make the number of games too low to close the 50 TR gap in a season.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2007 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote emphatic NOs on:

1. Any forced retirement.
2. Allowing entry to teams with games played
3. Multiple teams in the NWL.
 Jump to: