45 coaches online • Server time: 20:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2016 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

They have +1 av and +1 ma over snotlings. For 10k more. I don't see that as a bad deal personally, they're still very cheap. Definitely not giving them regeneration though.

As for A access on the Gors or warriors that's not happening either, A access is Slaanesh's thing.

I think we need to wait until the changeling is in the team as well as I think he'll make a big difference. I don't consider him to be a vanilla big guy either.

I get that they aren't the best chaos team, I've found them tricky at times as well, but if I was to buff them I think I'd increase their warriors av to 9 before doing anything else.

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2016 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Burnalot wrote:
There was a forest folk team in one of the bb magazines or compendiums iirc. Do you plan to include those guys?

Not really, that was just a fan submitted team, nothing written officially iirc it was from a citadel journal then put in one of the compendiums.

I can't remember the team off the top of my head exactly but I remember not liking it because it didn't really fit in the world.

It had satyr and centaur I think. In warhammer/blood bowl world that would equal Ungor and Centagor really. Nymph would be Dryad really who wouldn't not go near the other two. And didn't it have a forest gnomes or something? Which are completely made up gnomes live with the dwarves in dwarven mountain strongholds.

I'm not averse to a forest folk themed team at some point but I'm not sure a good fitting roster could be made for them really, If you've got ideas I'm happy to hear them Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2016 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I get that they aren't the best chaos team, I've found them tricky at times as well, but if I was to buff them I think I'd increase their warriors av to 9 before doing anything else.

Tbh my interpretation of fluff tells me it's kind of crazy for any Chaos Warrior to have a lower AV than the established norm of 9. Chaos Armour is Chaos Armour, regardless of what the warrior it's fused to can or can't do.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2016 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

True enough, which echoes my thoughts too. But as with every team I went in the side of caution, for fear of them being too good. After all they're chaos with 2+ pick ups and hand offs, plus ignore tackle zones on pick ups so they sound pretty scary.

Av9 would certainly be more accurate to the fluff though. I figured the rationale for them being av8 was the removal of their helmets for hypno gaze so didn't seem too much of a stretch.

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2016 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Burnalot wrote:
There was a forest folk team in one of the bb magazines or compendiums iirc. Do you plan to include those guys?

Not really, that was just a fan submitted team, nothing written officially iirc it was from a citadel journal then put in one of the compendiums.

I can't remember the team off the top of my head exactly but I remember not liking it because it didn't really fit in the world.

It had satyr and centaur I think. In warhammer/blood bowl world that would equal Ungor and Centagor really. Nymph would be Dryad really who wouldn't not go near the other two. And didn't it have a forest gnomes or something? Which are completely made up gnomes live with the dwarves in dwarven mountain strongholds.

I'm not averse to a forest folk themed team at some point but I'm not sure a good fitting roster could be made for them really, If you've got ideas I'm happy to hear them Smile

When I get home on saturday I will post the roster, but t had satyrs, forest gnomes and centaurs iirc.

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2016 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Its ok, I had a look after posting and I was correct on all counts, for me it just doesn't fit in the BB/warhammer world. Something could be done though, but you would really have to do some serious hunting to find creatures that could play BB that I havent already got in the game really.

if you are so inclined i think reading through 1st and 2nd edition warhammer rules might turn up something. either that or 1st ed fantasy role play.

its been a long time since I read the 1st edition warhammer rules, but Im pretty sure there is loads of stuff on slann in it
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2016 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Having finished the slubba league game set. I've got my comments on the Treemen team I played.
I'm quite certain I wasn't playing the team that well, and didn't fully adjust my tactics right for the team. To me, it felt markedly weaker than a halfling team, though that could be play mistakes.
The team tends to lose pitch presence very fast, as the spite get taken off so easily once they're hit, and the trees, while numerous, tend to get rooted after awhile, and even when not rooted, they can't reposition well. The spites alone have a very hard time actually taking anything down, as their st1 makes it much harder to get blocks in than it is for st2 stunties; and the st1 means the opponent can throw safe 3db on them if you need to use one to mark something or otherwise be next to something.
I had poor luck ttm'ing with them, and that's mostly the only way they score, as you can't advance a tree cage far enough to walk in, or at least it's very hard to do so.

One setup that I found important to use sometimes, is 5 trees on the LoS, evenly spaced and spread out, so that noone can cross without dealing with a tree. The problem is that a lot of teams have some way of breaking through that well, and once they open up a hole, they can go through and reform on the other side and you can't really stop them well.
The tree bashing power is nice, but they don't bash well enough to outpace your own spite losses, or to hurt the other team enough to gain significant pitch advantage.

Tossing spites at an enemy ball carrier to hope to knock him over helps occasionally; and spites can always walk into a cage and do a -3db, which is of use on foes with no defensive skills, though still mostly fails of course.

As with many similar teams, there's little benefit to most skillups; it helps some, but non-doubles just don't add much. having a couple spites with catch is useful for scoring, as saving the reroll on the handoff helps you get to tossing them sooner. Guard doesn't help much on trees, as even with assists spites can rarely block anything usefully, and trees can block anything without help anyways. So maybe only 1-2 guards to help with LoS opening. I went grab after that, which helps hold people near a tree.

My biggest mistake early on was not starting with a full roster, while having more trees was nice, I never got enough cash to make it to 6 trees; and running short-manned just hurt too much. Having the bench is important with how much spites just disappear during a game.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

nice write up, yeah I think 6 trees is pretty vital with tree teams, that way you can cover the whole width of the pitch from turn 1, but yeah, they're never going to be the strongest race because of their obvious flaws, but I've enjoyed playing with and against them. One thing I find with Treemen teams is their games are extremely quick, which is nice.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion: are you planning to add the Lustrian Pact to SL? We already have chaos pact and Tilea is pretty much like the Old World was back in the day.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure really, I have been thinking about it. I never liked that roster because of how much zons would hate lizardmen and just wouldnt play with them. That said I could do, just stick animosity on all the players, and the BB mag they appeared in (2 I think?) does provide fluff etc...

It'd be easy to do as well.

So at some point I'd imagine so.
Smile
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

5 trees is enough to cover the whole pitch; though it's a rather thin cover.
The games did tend to run very fast; quite a few were under an hour.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I'm not sure really, I have been thinking about it. I never liked that roster because of how much zons would hate lizardmen and just wouldnt play with them. That said I could do, just stick animosity on all the players, and the BB mag they appeared in (2 I think?) does provide fluff etc...

It'd be easy to do as well.

So at some point I'd imagine so.
Smile

yeah, I don't think lizardmen are going to share a team with those that wear their skulls as trophies on their heads.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2016 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

But it's a pro sport. Therefore necessity is different. If you think of the BB world and if you do include 'alliance teams' i.e. like the American Football probowl? Then there is merit. You do have to make a difference between Warhammer old/new World and BB old/new World.
sicksyzygy

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2016 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The gnome Bombardier is spelled "Bombadier".

Any chance of some kind of pro-Halfling team like in the Stunty league?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I was browsing the Union Referee team and I thought that it might be named RARG team (Referees and Allied Rulekeepers Guild).
It's a name closer to the BB fluff, the 0-16 Humans could be renamed Rulekeepers.
Just a suggestion, of course.
 Jump to: