33 coaches online • Server time: 10:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you want Blackbox to get a timelimit?
No, it should remain as it is.
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
Yes, it should be treated like all competetive divisions.
30%
 30%  [ 27 ]
Yes, but extra time should be just 5 mins in all competetive divisions.
21%
 21%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but there should be no extra time in any competetive division.
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Box should be treated different from other competetive divisions and get less extra/zero extra time.
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
There should be a way to allow less then 5 mins extra time.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I want Ski to fix the client and allow to give only a one shot extra time or sth. similar.
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Other (state below)
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Don't care
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 90

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, everyone who remembers the introduction of extra time should know that 15 mins extra in the channels indicate that you have unlimited time.
However this knowledge seems to have largly disappeard lately, probably mainly because noone ever sees the end of those 15 mins.

Now feel free to discuss the question if we should have a time limit in Blackbox at all.

I say yes, it's a competetive division, it used to be beta, but it's not anymore. It should get the same treatment as Ranked or Faction. However argueably all these divisions should have their extra time changed.

The reason why I offer only 5 and 10 minutes extra time as poll options is because in the league format there are no other amounts of extra time available. EDIT: Not true, just vote the less then 5 mins option.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %14, %2009 - %14:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
pubstar

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel justified saying this, as I'm quite a slow player myself, and have posted a blog in favor of taking it easy on slow players...

There should be one-shot extra time, or something to that effect for emergencies only. I will never complain about a 3:59 turn, even if it's *every* turn, but 4 minutes is the rule. I'm no programmer, so I can fully accept and understand rules variations like OFAB, but this seems like an easy fix.

lawman

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted other: I think (and i don't know how this compares to the real guidelines)
But 2 minutes extra time for box/normal games.
5 min extra time for tourneys.

But I would be fine with 2 each.

Something should be done to limit extra time. I agree. I've played over 1,000 games on Fumbbl and perhaps have overran my extra time once? Where I couldn't move any of my players. But it was a tourney.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, ok |L| allows now any kind of full minutes. Uh well then just vote the "there should be less then 5 mins"- option for it ... lazy as always with my research Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd vote for TWO shots at the extra time because stuff happens. My last two attempts to get into the box failed due to not enough coaches so discouraging more people isn't helping it.

SkiJunkie doesn't seem to be still maintaining it so we're probably talking about Kalimar's client now.

The option to specify a (preferred for BB) turn time limit e.g. 1,2,3,4 minutes.

Bigger and more prominent time clock.

Audible and visible warning a configurable number of seconds before the time limit.

I am sure that some of you wouldn't want to play me either Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't suppose we can count on SkiJunkie changing the client so:

Lower the extra time to 5 min( or zero?) for Blackbox now and if the extra time use can be changed to one or 2 uses only then there can be more
It could be argued that 4 mins is not necessary for internet games as rolling as book keeping is so much faster. I think 3 minutes turn time would still allow in most cases more game time than 4 minutes in Tabletop BB.

I'd rather see coupse of turns wrecked and most other games go extra smooth than have people be able to misuse the extra time.

Having unlimited setting time still remains and could be the place for those smoking, food grabbing and other bio breaks.

Without client changes babies crying will just make you lose a turn, which is sad but still no point on allowing all the extra time misuses for the few babies crying, people with wire phones and door bells ringing etc.
Can't have something for nothing. Sad

Summary: 0-5 extra time and 3 minute turns for Blackbox
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Once the game has started (i.e. as soon as the kicking player has placed the first player on the pitch), I would like a max of 4 minutes for setting up as well.
Psilocybe

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

for me id go with the 5 min for every league/division/game there is as extra time, that is actualy plenty of time even for slow players, cause like the rules say, the extra time is for people with emergency´s ( like having to suddenly go to the toilet cause you have a bad stomache is as good a reason as any Very Happy ) and in case something really big happens, one can always ask for a delay of game until another day and state the reason to the fellow coach one is playing Smile
The extra time is NOT for thinking about extra moves or looking up what movies are on tonight on the tv. the occasional "thinking about your moves so the 4 min runs out and you start working the clock im a slow player" kinda guy is always out there and i dont mind having to wait like 30 extra seconds, but done repeatedly is, as the rules state, simply not allowed and if this happen you can always tell this to your opponent, drop the game after, and if need be go talk to an admin about it. so time is not really an issue. people is ! Smile

http://snigernissen.mybrute.com
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The usage of extra time is currently not covered at all in the site or division rules. The way how client handles it now is the only rule.
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This whole idea of extra time is very frustrating. When the 4 minute turn limit was set it was based on physically rolling dice, physically moving your players and probably a couple conversations involving rules disputes.

The client does MOST of the work for us and allows for:
- more conversation when taking your turn(sweet!)
- instant dice and rules implimentation
- clicking instead of moving your players for regular movement or even chainpush situations
- standing guys up? Anybody relate to the convenience of clicking to stand a Treeman or BoN ?

I strongly feel that if there is any kind of situation that would warrant the need for 'extra time', the game can simply be reloaded!!

How do you guys feel about this?
Is it too late to change over to this philosophy?

Maybe it can be an option that is able to be selected before the game for very valid reasons, like playing against a new coach, where you would expect the coach to take more than the allowtted time?

Getting back to Blackbox... I feel the same about all divisions cocerning the time limit, unless we open a 'Chat Division' hehehe
lawman

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The client is a little slow on movement. you have to click each step. Normally on table you can move your guys much quicker. Moving your guys as if you were throwing a ball (well not ignoring TZ anyway) may help at times. Especially for "fast" teams that dodge/move a lot such as Woodelf.

Also, as you get to know your figurines, you never have to look up what skills they have. For the most part, the client still has to look to the corner and see who you have. If you have a small monitor this could be an issue.

Also you can talk over the board. I'm not a fast typist so anything i write is generally going to take about 10-15 seconds.

There are some things you would have to take into consideration.

Java 1.6.0.13 I think

Last edited by lawman on %b %14, %2009 - %18:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Sinnyil

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2009 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

lawman wrote:
The client is a little slow on movement. you have to click each step. Normally on table you can move your guys much quicker. Moving your guys as if you were throwing a ball (well not ignoring TZ anyway) may help at times. Especially for "fast" teams that dodge/move a lot such as Woodelf.

Also, as you get to know your figurines, you never have to look up what skills they have. For the most part, the client still has to look to the corner and see who you have. If you have a small monitor this could be an issue.

Also you can talk over the board. I'm not a fast typist so anything i write is generally going to take about 10-15 seconds.

There are some things you would have to take into consideration.

What version of Java do you have?

I had that problem until I updated to the most recent version. Not all versions of Java play nice with JBB.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2009 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there anyway we can make this poll a bit more convoluted please?

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2009 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely a redution in the reserve tank from 15 mins to 1min would sort out most problems? Rarely do I go over 4 mins but when I do it is only by the odd second or so. With a small reserve time this would still be the case and not cause problems. PEople who abuse the reserve for extra thinking time would be sorted out pretty quick.

One annoyance I have is if someone depleats all their time that the turn still stays with them until they end the turn. Why it doesnt auto end always baffled me.
aggborough

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2010 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Why doesn`t each coach have an overall time limit for all his turns, as in chess, rather than 4 min/turn + extra? Say 25 min per player per half including set up.
Only problems i can see are:
1.Not in rules, does it matter? 2.Programming - no idea myself on this. 3.Possibly reduce chat during the game, probably biggest argument against it, personally i don`t mind.
I can understand why the table top game does not have this, but it would be an interesting experimentif its not too difficult to programme.
 Jump to: