32 coaches online • Server time: 09:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2009 - 02:47
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we are up and running now with [.b] Tournaments and have the 2nd B major hefting into voew on the horizon.

So...
General

I am happy with the start we have made, though more players in [.b] would always be welcomed.

I am proposing to move the date of every B Tournament to the 3rd Wednesday of the month for applications to open, and the 4th Wednesday for the Tournament to start. this will prevent conflict with R Tournaments, which will be having a uniform application on 1s Wednesdays every month and starting tournaments on the 2nd Wednesdays.

This should give each divisiona fair chance to be advertised, and to be the 'main attraction' for a time.

The B Minors

I have been thrilling with how the random generation of TR cap has worked. To me it still feels very '[.b]' and so far the Tournaments have proved popular and compeitive, with a record of getting the games played that is an improvement over similar formats in [R]. thats odesnt mean all games are getting played though, which in tournaments of only 16 teams is a shame.

I see no reason for change here.

The B Majors

I thought the Black Cup was a huge success, i feel the division needs 1 huge, everyone that enters will be in, knockout major, the Black Cup is that one. Essencially the Fumbbl Cup, run in [.B].

I would love to see some fluff generated for it, but have little time myself. If a 'fluffer' wishes to step forward, please announce yourself via PM to me.

We also need formats and ideas and names for the 2 other BlackBox Majors.

These ideas need to be within the realms of the easily possible.

So far i am toying with one B major to have only 32 teams, with maybe a swiss style elimination, in groups, to get it down to 8 teams, and from there have a KO to decide the winner.

for the other maybe a random redraw of pairings every round. technically this ould be done seeded. But as has been said before, this creates a worrying possibility of games getting less fair and less even as the Tournament progresses, so maybe uterly random is better. Maybe also with a TR floor (say 175TR) to create at least reasonably competitive matches for all.

We also need banners for all three B Majors, and i have anartist standing by (who did the excellent B minors banner) as soon as we have firm ideas/formats/names.

Please to remember this is not a democracy, you are trying to persuade and interest me, both in your idea and in how easy and user friendly it will be to run. ultimately though, i will decide.

Last edited by PurpleChest on %b %11, %2011 - %02:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2009 - 08:09 Reply with quote Back to top

thx for all the efforts put into B, i really wonder why B (after it's been around for more than 1 year) still feels like the "underdog-division" (to me).
why is BWR not equally important as CR. it's not promoted on the coache's homepage, on the "games" page or in match-reports, even B-ones.
in fact, it's near impossible to find out about a coache's BWR if he's not among the top-10 B-coaches and (s)he's not yourself.
('only way is if you've played him, and deduct his BWR by the delta_BWR you have experienced after that game while taking into account a zillion other factors and tables that are hard / impossible to get a hold of).

'not meaning to rant, though - B is great.

fantasy-football 0.5 in B is on the very top of my wish-list for 2010 Razz,
some improvement for arranging games is next (i.e. notification of B-channel-coaches if 1 or 2 players are missing for a round in combination with a 60-sec-extension of the activation-period),
last but not least is to put BWR where it's supposed to be: next to CR.

Edit: Forgot to say 1 tourney / month in B is awesome, doesn't have to be extra-special as compared to R-tourneys, but random TR-caps and new seedings are nice features / B-like regulations Smile

Last edited by treborius on %b %09, %2009 - %08:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2009 - 08:13 Reply with quote Back to top

B rocks. Go PC

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 02:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

really looking for some help/input here.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think ramdom re-seed is awesome, but also agree that they need to be random to increase the liklihood of balanced matches.

A swiss-style tourney would be interesting, but I would favor that for XFL type tourneys, mainly because of racial issues. Racial balance for AV7 teams can be complicated in comparison to AV9 teams due to injuries. So a longer tourney may see unbalanced bashers in control.

I wouldn't mind seeing an XFL style tourney major in B with 4 to 8 or more squads to qualify for a pairing. Then of those 16 or so winners, a brawl for King of the XFL's for a Final. With stunty winners earning a BYE with some other low TS teams.

Might help increase racial diversity some.

Thought I'd mention the BOX has been a very good idea and fun. Good work as well PC.

Last edited by lawman on %b %10, %2009 - %05:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Racial diversity is good!
Quite a few people seem to be going for a (near) full set of race-teams now though: letting the bot decide which tema tehy play in true [B] style Very Happy (I'm workingmy way up slowly myself)

I'd like the bowlbot to pm everyone in the Blackbox channel at he 5minute mark cos pm's are harder to miss and I'm not the only one who thinks he's too cool to get an alarm clock Wink

I don't really know about tournament formats but I'm very glad to see them! here are some thoughts anyway Very Happy

I think Swiss (that's the one where everyone plays everyone else right?) would be great but those do take a while so anything that can be done to ensure they actually get played would be good.

Being a "Major" doesn't really impress me but having a tournament that everyone gets to play in certainly seems important. More promotion of [B] would definitely please me too! (is there any good reason for [B] games not to count towards CR anyway?)

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought that BB should have a cup based around the scheduler system. Each round has to be fully completed before the new round is drawn a la the BB scheduler. No purchasing after each draw is made. Problem is tha tthe final could be quite unbalanced as you could end up with a really high TS side and a low TS side.

Fluffwise I was thinking something along the lines of dungeonbowl. Teams entering a wizard sponsored tournament where they wandering around trying to beat teams and get out. Meanwhile the wizards creat fogs and telport them around to "fix" the matches. Potential Names: Labyrinthian Cup / Dungeons of Darkness / Shadowy Shield.

My other idea for a major would have qualifying groups like LC and UI, except the groups will be based around the prevalent racial BWR & BBR stats (or a function of them) with some randomness, to promote use of some of the less favoured races in [B]. Maybe have 4 qualifying streams? Maybe Low BBR, High BBR, Low BWR, High BWR or mixes. Fluff wise could be some sort of Noah's arc idea. Names: Charcoal Chalice, The Goblet of Gathering, Cattle Market Cup,
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As posted previously in another thread, I would like to put forward the idea for a No-Overtime Major.

If the 2 teams are tied at the end of 16 turns, the lowest TS team would progress.

I know this may not be straightforward to setup, or might need a little coding from Christer, but it might be worth looking at and asking the question.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

meh, why?

in a game of 221 Ts vs 220 TS, that would just encourage the 220 to play for a draw.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

could the scheduler work with 4 coaches? All to often the scheduler fails because of the cursed 5 coaches! Other than that, B is a breath of fresh air in FUMBBL, and really the only thing I look forwards to playing.

Oh yeah, my take on BWR. Keep it private outside of the dreaded top 10. Don't even get me started on the friggin B top 10. All very good coaches for sure, but let's all create an Orc team + attempt to get there, get to a high ranking and not play B again (isn't that right FORD?) I'm sure there's one or two exceptions to my 'analysis' and respect is due to those coaches. Other than the usual clowns thinking Orcs are their saviour, racial diversity is not a real problem imo.

B is less about competition and more about the true essence of BB imo. Play any coach, any race, anytime. Let the retard division have their 'look how big my dick is' CR, B doesn't need an equivalent.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like the idea of a World Cup style tournament, with teams assigned to certain Groups, and each Group would have a round-robin phase to select who advances to the main tournament.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Malmir

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've been putting off recreating a bb team for too long (don't really know why, possibly the constant putting down of ranked irritated me for a bit as it seemed so needless) but now is the time so see you in there.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2009 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

If we're splitting teams into groups it could be interesting to manufacture racially diverse groups or racially similar groups (so that the final KO is racially diverse with the best of each)

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Deleted

(please find a more elaborated idea for a major on page 5)

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %30, %2009 - %18:%Dec; edited 3 times in total
lawman

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 06:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of a World Cup "RainbowCup"
With Qualifers from the far regions of the BB world facing off in mini groups of 4.

The qualifiers being of equal race (but not nessicarily equal talent). With 64 finalists drawn from the Swiss-style tourney. With atleast 3 rep's of each race.

Pretty much what Frankenstien says. Except some races may have more than 4...in which case maybe some play in matches to make the 64 cut. Which would balance it out. Kinda like a mini playoff.

Perhaps with FF prizes for winners (of swiss and mini-cuts).

Finals winner gets to pick a linemen worth less than 80K off any squad with two rolled for (non-aged) skills. Smile Sounds fun.
 Jump to: