45 coaches online • Server time: 14:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Inscription JBL Sais...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fela

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As a general rule the box is pretty recovery-friendly. A beaten up team will automatically be paired up with another beaten up team or with a weaker opponent....

..or meet ogres due to the broken TS calculation.

Reason: bone head is usually a sign that the player is a big guy, thus a TS discount is justified. But in an Ogre team they are just regular players. The bone head roll can be rerolled, so there is no certainty that the specific discounted player will only act on average 5/6 of his turns. But only that certainty justifies the TS discount.

So please, either remove the TS discount for non big-guy negatraits or remove ogres from the box altogether. Since the race is only played by sociopath coaches or as a "fun team" by others there would be no harm done in removing them anyway, the box needs neither.
XtremeXwing

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

no.
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree. I think the box needs all the teams INCLUDING ogres.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an Ogre team at the moment, which I find quite interesting, as long as you are not seriously expecting to win Razz

Ogres can be painful to play against, perhaps, but they can also be easy to beat. Anyway, you can't pick and choose the races you want, what next no Khemri? no Dwarves?

Nex tthing you know, we will only have Elves left, which is about as far away from the point of Blackbox as you can get.
Fela

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:

Ogres can be painful to play against, perhaps, but they can also be easy to beat. Anyway, you can't pick and choose the races you want, what next no Khemri? no Dwarves?

As you can see above, my first (i.e. preferred) option was fixing the TS calculation abuse. We're not talking about peanuts here, depending on the number of Ogres in a team we're looking at 30 TS upwards.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
As a general rule the box is pretty recovery-friendly. A beaten up team will automatically be paired up with another beaten up team or with a weaker opponent....

Reason: bone head is usually a sign that the player is a big guy, thus a TS discount is justified. But in an Ogre team they are just regular players. The bone head roll can be rerolled, so there is no certainty that the specific discounted player will only act on average 5/6 of his turns. But only that certainty justifies the TS discount.

So please, either remove the TS discount for non big-guy negatraits or remove ogres from the box altogether. Since the race is only played by sociopath coaches or as a "fun team" by others there would be no harm done in removing them anyway, the box needs neither.

Hmmm? What's wrong with easy wins? And what's wrong with sociopaths? And "fun teams"?

You're definitely not a libertarian, that's for sure! Wink
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

ogres suck. they are easy to beat. please leave them in the box as i like easy winz

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

soultoken wrote:
no.

what soultoken said.
grow balls.
svemole

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

While I dont think that ogres ever will be removed from the box. I do agree with the first post. Ogres are boring to play against and a Big guy team doesnt belong in a black box environment. In rank they are ok as a team you can choose to play against when you want to play something different.
Wraith

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

So using a team reroll on a BH roll isn't a disadvantage? How about no access to general skills, except on doubles? Ogres are balanced just fine in TS... your argument is like saying "Oh noes, it's not fair, my opponent apo'd his niggled player... undead teams don't have apos... give undead apos to counter balanced this!". Teams are designed the way they are, each has pros and cons, if you cannot deal with that fact... go play in a single race only [L] or something.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ogres aren't that bad. Seriously, get over it.

Last I heard, the "no longer present for a year" sociopath(s) played Khemri.
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

i had a ogre team and they ALL went bonehead in 1 turn! 6 of them. Its the risk you take. i've had bad beats by them and fun games against them. its only a game so just enjoy it.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I almost agreed, then Wraith brought up an excellent point. You still end up wasting a reroll for bonehead.
treborius

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:

if, by broken ts, u mean too high ts as compared to what their true capability is in winning games: yes

if, by broken ts, u mean too low ts as in winning is easy with ogres based on equal ts-match-ups: no - try
proving that by playing 20 games with an ogre-team and having a >50% win-percentage.
i'll have fun watching u fail Wink

of course some coaches do have good records with ogres, like this team, but that's either 'cause they're
excellent coaches or they rolled lots of doubles on skill rolls (can't even get block, otherwise) or both.

And it's much harder to find those winning teams for Ogres than it is for other races, for instance if u
look at the best teams for each race (highest win-percentage) which have played at least 20 games
(in the box) u get those win-percentages:

WE: 88%
Chaos: 83%
Orc: 81%
Dwarf: 81%
Fling: 73% (!)
Necro: 73%
Norse: 72%
Human: 71%
Ogres: 70%
Nurgle: 66%

...i only bothered doing this for 10 races, but u get the idea - Ogres are by no means undervalued in terms of ts Wink
...of course, some races are played more frequently and thus have a higher chance of including a team that
made it to the top, but look at Flings - they are the rarest race in the Box and their top-team still tops Ogres Wink

EDIT: just saw, that Vamps are even rarer today than Flings and their best team with 20 games has only 61%
so ok, there are teams that are (even) worse, but Ogres still rank below average when matched on a basis of even ts

Last edited by treborius on %b %23, %2009 - %02:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2009 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea of the "box" is to take what opponent you get and quit bein' a bellyachin' sissy. Learn to play 'em... Learn to beat 'em... or go cry in the corner about your broken numbers.
 Jump to: