28 coaches online • Server time: 08:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you time out an opponent?
Yes if they were consistently slow.
20%
 20%  [ 34 ]
Yes, but only if I'd warned them first.
38%
 38%  [ 65 ]
Yes if they went over, just once, for even a second.
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
No I wouldn't, but I've no strong view on it.
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
No and I'd consider it unsporting.
14%
 14%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 168

Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
Timlagor... Thinking you have the right to bend the rules past the 4 minute turn limit for any reason is a douchebag move.

OK this is getting tedious so I won't be responding to any more of your misrepresentations after this. I said you can use the rules to use the 4 minutes you do have.
t0tem

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
It is indeed an action game... so wasting more then 4 minutes on a turn, takes all the action out of it. Oh, and I'm not saying it should be more stricter, more that people should stop whining about something that is in the rules and there for a reason. Let people use it how they want it.

having an opinion is not whining and i think we all agree that people who DO press the time-out button the second it pops-up have done nothing illegal. as i recall however, OP was asking if players considered it unsporting to do so when engaged in a friendly chat or when opponent specifically asks to be excused for a minute.
besides the rules are written primarily for TT not online play. there are practical differences.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

having a whiney opinion is whining

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
pythrr sure is Fumbbl's mr sunshine Very Happy
Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

t0tem wrote:

besides the rules are written primarily for TT not online play. there are practical differences.

No. I believe there is an appendix in the rules that deals with lag.

Last edited by EvolveToAnarchism on %b %24, %2011 - %20:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing almost all of the people that think using the Time Out button when it pops up is nice nice or douchey or whatever seem to continue to ignore is the benevolence of almost every coach in this theard towards real life situations causing your turn to exceed the time limit. Somehow the notion that all of the mean people who might use the button in accordance with the rules have stated that they would gladly allow an extension of your turn time if only you notify them of your situation.

It is your own fault if you get timed out while on the phone, answering the door, or experiencing lag with your computer/connection and you didn't inform your opponent of a real life situation. It is your fault that you didn't appeal to your opponents sense of benevolence. Your opponent is not being MEAN for pressing POW when he chooses Block dice and he isn't being MEAN when he presses the timeout button.

For those that just regularly play too slow learn to play faster and think faster because the rules are the rules. I don't like how overpowered several different skills or skill combos can be but they are part of the game. You don't see me whining about them like a child railing against his appointed bedtime.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
t0tem wrote:

No. I believe there is an appendix in the rules that deals with lag.

There is indeed something that does deal with lag... communication... tell your opponent.

Besides this there are so many more things that must be done on Table Top that would take so much longer than playing the game here on Fumbbl that the potential lag you have is already taken into account.
In TT you would have to count for your self how many Block dice you must roll each Block Action, pick up the dice, roll them, choose the result you wish (or potentially roll again), then choose the square your opponent will be pushed in, move his piece there(possibly place it prone), move your on the follow up or not (possible place it prone)... maybe then pick up more dice, roll them, count the results, compare them to the players AV, perhaps pick up the dice again, roll them again to determine a stun, ko etc..., then if a Serious Injury is determined pick up the dice again, roll them again to determine what type of serious injury, and likely wait for your opponent to decide whether oir not to use their Apothecary, and then roll for the apothecary...

All of these possible steps to make 1 Block eat up so much more time that is eliminated in the client.
Click your Player, Click Block Action, Click on the Target of your Block, Choose to Follow Up or Not, Wait on your Opponent to Use or Not Use their Apothecary. ACTION COMPLETE.
All that rolling, and counting of assists is done instantly by the client saving your all sorts of time.

I may have some of these things out of order in who rolls which dice and in what order (in fact I do)... but the POINT is that the client gives you back so much time by doing so much of the thinking and calculating and moving and measuring (for passes) that it is ridiculous to complain about a little bit of lag.
It is even more ridiculous to complain about people timing you out for lag when almost everyone in this thread says they would grant you extra time if only you would tell them.
But then... some people are always ridiculous.

Let's go start some threads about Gang Fouling, Stalling, building 1 Turners, the Claw/Mighty Blow/Piling On combo, Dwarf Armour, Amazons not playing anyone in Ranked that has enough Tackle to beat them, or any other beat to death whining thread.
t0tem

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

here the programmer has chosen to interpret the rules as: your turn begins when your opponent's end. but strictly speaking this can not be entirely true because the rules state that a player's turn ends either when a turn-over is suffered or when all players in the active team have taken an action; however some rules and effects take place after a coach's turn has ended but before the other coach's turn begins. to me this implies that a player must actively start her turn.

i would not recommend implementing a "time-in" button but as far as the rules go we must allow that there is always going to be a modicum of interpretation necessary.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

We can always predict lag and if you can't you are ridiculous.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

we needz moar buttonz. Do we?

PS: please excue me i kow this is not a qualified contribution, my brain hurts.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2011 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
... in accordance with the rules ... because the rules are the rules ...

The rules don't state that your turn begins at the instant the other's turn ends. That is the important part why the 4-minute-rule as enforced here is not in accordance with the rules.

Quote:
It is your own fault ... experiencing lag ... and you didn't inform your opponent

I don't agree on this part: the information that I am lagging can well reach my opponent way too late, and is out of my control.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2011 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

So what the hell is the point of this thread? This seriously seems like 9 pages of people going nowhere fast.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2011 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Good thing you stepped in to help Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2011 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

That we'll never agree, Fouly? Smile

I guess BigC will make a call, and we'll live with it. Democracy isn't going to cut it here.

I had a game last night where I d/c'd, came back, and finished my turn. I could then instantly time out my oppo. Good thing I'm not a jackass. The game was friendly, laggy and full of chat, I'll bet we went over 4 minutes more than once just writing and enjoying ourselves. But we wouldn't want that, it gets in the way of a rule / a guideline no-one uses on tabletop, a different format of the game entirely, anyway, would we?

We should have been punisherising each other! Wink

In all seriousness, the thread is probably past the point of being useful now.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2011 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The point of this thread was to get people's opinions on it, which has happened. That we don't all happen to agree is hardly surprising.

Do I get some sort of badge if we reach ten pages? Very Happy

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
So what the hell is the point of this thread? This seriously seems like 9 pages of people going nowhere fast.
 Jump to: