24 coaches online • Server time: 04:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Score of the matchup posted by the OP:
[@BowlBot] - Ignaz vs funnyfingers (Chaos Dwarf 108/106 vs 110/91 Goblin) @648
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
maysrill wrote:
Christer, is it possible to maybe favor "no match" over "awful matchup"? (...) The [B] motto ought to be something along the lines of "fair matches, no haggling", rather than "suck it up, we got you a game, didn't we?"

Please define "fair matches" for me.

I think a good start would be no more than 10% TS difference (10TS isn't the same at TR200+ as it is for <125) and no more than 1 handicap either way. Add the racial factors in before calculating the TS difference. Fiddle a bit with the numbers, but that's the concept I'd look to.

Maybe this is too strongly restricted, but that goes back to my original contention that my order of preference is to play a fair match, not play, or play an uneven match.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
no more than 1 handicap either way.

My team, at one point was 207/125 ... waiting for a match up with only 1 handicap could take years.

Avoiding handicaps is already a factor in the calculation, but beyond that would be a big step backwards, in my opinion.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
maysrill wrote:
Rookie dwarfs and rookie amazons?

Is a perfectly fine match up... Wink

With those dice I would have lost to no-tree halflings...

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:
maysrill wrote:

Hey my no tree halfings are 11/3/9!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=474568

Nothing wrong with losing to some halfings:)
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes.. no-tree flings win vs no-RR-vamps more often than not...
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
Cloggy wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:
maysrill wrote:

Hey my no tree halfings are 11/3/9!

My no-tree halflings are 2/3/2...but hey they only played dwarfs. Wink
Chingis

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

As a lot of the kerfuffle is about "handicapped" games:

Handicaps seem to me a separate argument. Personally, while being something interesting in a game, I think they don't belong in the Blackbox, at least not in their current form. Blackbox bases "fair" games on an equal TS; handicaps are to balance out "unfair" games, based on TR. If we are going to use TS, then handicaps should be based on that, or not at all. The current system is just illogical.

But if we are going to assume that handicaps are useful and fair in the box, you can't use that as an excuse for saying games are unfairly scheduled, else you risk muddling two different points.

From Christer's explanation, I'd have thought there ought to be a more elegant measure than "total sum" of suitabilities. Anyone mathematically inclined like to comment? Razz

Edit: I'm not that mathematically inclined, but I have been thinking...
Some weighted system towards the lower matches, would that be better?

i.e. if you had n matches, instead of suitability sum you could have sum of:

suitability * i / sum(1,...,n)

where i is the ordered suitability (best match = 1, worst = n).

too give you a weighted average of suitabilities.

Or for a weighted absolute value equivalent to the total sum (which I assume is so that the scheduler will schedule three @700 matches rather than two @900 matches), just times by n.

In other words:

n * sum(suitability *i) / sum(0,...,n)

I'm sure that's very clunky, but something along those lines could cajoule the scheduler into picking 3 matches @800 over 2 matches @900 and one @600, couldn't it?
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
Christer, is it possible to maybe favor "no match" over "awful matchup"? I know I'm fairly new to playing [B], but I've already been on both sides of matches that I think would have been better off not being played.

Rookie dwarfs and rookie amazons? If a first-time player offered me this match I'd take the time to give him a little talking to about what zons should and shouldn't be trying to play. I was embarrassed to play this matchup and my opponent needed a new team afterward. I'd have been ok with sitting on the sidelines if this was all the scheduler could manage.

Maybe playing too much [R] has narrowed my view of what an even match is, but I think [B] might be too liberal. The [B] motto ought to be something along the lines of "fair matches, no haggling", rather than "suck it up, we got you a game, didn't we?"

Hey I do consider that this matchup (rookie dorfs vs rookie zons) is fair enough.

If you start on this road then my rookie chaos shouldn't play rookie zons, my elves would take too much cas against a claw+RSC loaded team... and so on

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a matchup like the one I got in the overall scheme of things is fair. Maybe adding in a Khamra system would be nice. I would think it should be on a per team basis though.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2009 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Kharma being ... 10 matches at the short end of the stick should get you a better chance on the other end of it. Nothing big.
treborius

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2009 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Chingis wrote:
Blackbox bases "fair" games on an equal TS; handicaps are to balance out "unfair" games, based on TR. If we are going to use TS, then handicaps should be based on that, or not at all. The current system is just illogical.

i agree
BroadAsImLong

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2009 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2732935 this is a funny.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2009 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

treborius wrote:
Chingis wrote:
Blackbox bases "fair" games on an equal TS; handicaps are to balance out "unfair" games, based on TR. If we are going to use TS, then handicaps should be based on that, or not at all. The current system is just illogical.

i agree

I don't: I would certainly not be happy to play that TS140 team with my TS 100 team just because 5 handicaps brings the game into the 15 TS range.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2009 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
treborius wrote:
Chingis wrote:

i agree

I don't: I would certainly not be happy to play that TS140 team with my TS 100 team just because 5 handicaps brings the game into the 15 TS range.

ok, i guess i wasn't being too clear (and might have misinterpreted Chingis' post):
i'm for HCs based on TS only after match-ups have been created (same algorithm as now), thus you'd still have a mismatch of 15TS max.
if i now get scheduled -15TS vs. a team i'd be more happy to play it with 3 HCs (1HC / 5TS) in my favor than with 0 Wink
regardless of TR.
 Jump to: