49 coaches online • Server time: 13:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Whaddya think?
Good Idea but I won't be playing in the Box anyway
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Good Idea but I would play in the Box anyway
14%
 14%  [ 11 ]
Good Idea and will significantly increase the chance/frequency of my playing in the Box
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Bad Idea but I don't like the Box anyway
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Bad Idea but I'd play anyway
29%
 29%  [ 22 ]
This would put me off from playing in the Box
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Banoffee Pie -there's fruit so it's health food!
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 75

freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually come to the races point, I would like to see the box recognize which races you have played in the last 3 games and lower the quailty score for maches against thos races (i.e 15% lower for last race played, -10% for 2 games ago and -5% for 3 games ago.) This would be cumalitive, so that if your team had still been placed against a certain race 3 games running your next draw against that race would be seen as -25% quality.
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not just make a elf huggy Box and a basher Box. That seems to be the easiest way to implement what some of you want to happen. X races play in the elf huggy Box division and Y races play in the basher Box. Simple solution to most of people's complaint about the box. If the elf huggy types would like to play bashy races...all they have to do is run to R and I am sure they'll get plenty of play time from the bashy races.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It can be rough getting a game in my time zone. I'd certainly use a blacklist of any sort sparingly. That said, there are a couple coaches I could live without ever playing against, who suck the joy out of the game via their play-style and attitude (and contrary to someone's earlier snarky comment him not getting a game, I've got no beef with Calcium).

I have no problem with teams designed to win via hurting stuff (heck, chaos and dwarfs would hardly win at all), but rather with teams that hurt instead of trying to win.

That happens in Ranked too though. I recently won a game because my opponent Got The Ref against me. He devoted his whole team to (sadly ineffective) gang fouling, rather than taking shots at my ball carrier (who was a bit exposed due to a 6v11 situation).

Still, it's a tough call sometimes between stupidity and malice. Stupid players will sometimes have it dawn on them that all the cas in the world don't help if you get outscored. Malicious ones realize at some point, but don't care. Those are the ones I don't care to play. The ones who think "I'm khemri, I've got to foul like a madman to win", well they just might not know any better.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Hero164

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm against this generally because there are generally few reasons to avoid a player in the box which is an anything goes type of enviroment. Lets think about reasons why people blackball people.

a) My opponent fouled turn 16/fouls constantly/kicks me when i'm down. Now in the box or any time fouling a team to death is a harsh experience but as Deathclaw once said to me: "I once gave people a break, but then I saw a tree rip on a -3db". If they are up they are a danger. Ive been scored against by a single woodie catcher which didnt go down after 6 dice. Unless I'm 3-0 up and the opponent is not blocking I understand people removing players. Forcing a concession can give valuable funds. The box is no holds bars anything goes, if you want to 'blacklist' those who play with that attitude then you will never be happy in the box.

b) My opponent plays slow: I have a lot of sympathy for this but as I have said before, this would be better resolved through removing the 'abuse' of the emergency minutes in the client generally than blacklisting.

c) My opponent plays Khemri/Chaos/Orc/Ogre/Dwarf: The bad news is that these races make up half the box blacklisting on the grounds of race generally goes against everything the box is about. Play ranked. Or better do what I did and create 21 teams to increase variety. I would very much like to see previous race played added into the calculation as Freak said above.

d) My opponent is a complete asshat: well all you can do is hide the chat at that point or report them to the admins.

I dont know why else people blacklist, id be interested. But I do know that this three game thing would be a nightmare as you would see some people see who was currently activating, look at their teams, think I dont fancy that match up, avoid it for their play session and then the blacklist would expire.

All in all a bad idea!

Stella for President!!

Need a new challenge? Here's all the challenge you will ever need.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19352
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
Actually come to the races point, I would like to see the box recognize which races you have played in the last 3 games and lower the quailty score for maches against thos races (i.e 15% lower for last race played, -10% for 2 games ago and -5% for 3 games ago.) This would be cumalitive, so that if your team had still been placed against a certain race 3 games running your next draw against that race would be seen as -25% quality.

This is a very good idea, freak. I'm all for it.
asharak

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:

Quite like this idea Smile though wouldn't it be 30% down after 3 games running?

And as for whoever said the lef-box and bash box or whatever... I like the mix. I just dislike getting a series of bash-fests. I play a mix of races in the box - I've got some bashy guys like Khem (no DP khem, so not *ultra* bashy, but still) and some squishies like skaven. I enjoy the odd game of elf-ball, mostly as it is an abnormality for me but if it were on offer every round I'd decline. There is a big diference between your comment suggesting people hate playing vs. bashy races and my view that I hate playing coaches who only want to bash. If they are trying to play for the win and break my team along the way thats fine. If they are playing to break my team and happen to occasionally get a win despite this then this is less than fun. Being able to know I'd avoid them for a while would be nice, as it'll be an hour that I really won't enjoy.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2010 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah 30%, excuse my maths
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The goal isn't just to improve the schedule but primnarily to make it more attractive to people who don't like B as it stands. It strikes me that it would be more useful to have this going for the changeover in terms of attracting new coaches but that probably isn't practical.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Calthor wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:

This is a very good idea, freak. I'm all for it.

Also in support of this.

The other thing I suggest to increase the potential variety in the Box is that to activate you must activate X number of teams (I suggest 2 or 3) and those teams must fulfill certain criteria. You must submit at least one Baller team and at least one Basher team. Divide the teams down whatever lines you like.

The Basher teams (dwarves, orcs, chaos, cds, ogres, khemri, etc.) are overly high on the supply side in the Box as it is. It is the Baller teams that there are never enough of (elves, skaven, humans etc.).

Some coaches that ONLY play Bashers in the Box do not take the same risk of having their team pummeled and having a boring hour of their leisure time wasted. This way everyone has some "skin" in the game.

It would be OK I think if you wanted to activate 5 Basher teams and 1 Baller team. But the coaches that ONLY play bashers every single game ruin the balance of the Box and make it a less disirable place to play.

If my Humans want to play Bashers I can find that 24 hours a day in Ranked. That gives me no reason to play Humans in Box. I get more variety in Ranked than Box can currently provide.
asharak

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I expect if you did this people would just make e.g. a rookie woodie team, retire all but one guy & then activate them knowing they'll never get scheduled or something equally stupid :S
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

No, you should not be forced to play a team style that you do not like. There's nothing wrong with being fond of the bashing style of play. Forcing those players to have 'baller' teams as well would just alienate those players from the box, something we do not want.
On1

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
If my Humans want to play Bashers I can find that 24 hours a day in Ranked. That gives me no reason to play Humans in Box. I get more variety in Ranked than Box can currently provide.

You are forgetting the respect you earn in [B] when coaching a non-basher team Razz
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Calthor. I accept the box is too bash heavy, but forcing coaches to use teams they don't want is probably not a good idea. Rather i would like to see diversity rewarded, maybe with a monthly league table of who performed best with each race.
svemole

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont want my chances to be paired up for a game to be lowered for any reason And I dont think I had to play that much more bashers in the box anyway.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:

You are forgetting the respect you earn in [B] when coaching a non-basher team Razz

Probably not as much as running a 'take the first offer' team in [R] Wink

The funny thing about all this is that I am now probably less likely to play [B] than before you started your threads.

Inducements mean that the silly offers that you used to get in [R] are not quite so silly any more. If your team gets hammered you can still limp along thanks to journey men.

I got a nice 3-0 win last night thanks to two journeymen doing the nasty jobs and taking the damage on the line. I would have had no chance in LRB4.

For many the whole point of [B] was to get a fairish game without loads of waiting and haggling.

If you use a wussball team you can quickly get a game and journeymen/inducements can carry the strain if it turns out badly.

Edit: The best blackball option for me would be to have the option of a 1,2,3 and/or 4 minute.

Jump to: