29 coaches online • Server time: 17:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

My sidestep catchers die like flies... Sad

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

new to Fumbbl yes

new to blood bowl no

new to gaming no

new to game desining no

new to game balancing no

the skill is unbalanced in its present form an easy way to fix it would be to allow the defender to choose which of the eligible push squares he falls in or gets pushed to. Not the foward moving squares they can do now. It makes no sense either. I push you, you fall foward???? does that sound right to you? I push you, you adjust your fall to fall back but left. now that makes sense.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Side Step is fine I guess. The skill that really buggers me is sure hands. Come on reroll a pick up??? In "real life" you never can reroll stuff.

Very Happy

Honestly. Sidestep can be avoided quite easily, either by putting your assist that way that the sidestepper end up in a square bad for him (next to your tackle mighty blow guy) or taking him down with a tackler.

Okay, agreed side step is a skill accessible to agility guys. Thats Elfs, catchers, stunties and Vamps; in difference to Stand Firm which is a trait. But wouldn't you think that if side step would be more powerful than Stand Firm most strenght access players would choose side step over stand firm? No. Do I say Stand Firm is overpowered? No! And honestly: most elves coaches pick sidestep as 3rd or 4th skill. After block, dodge, tackle

Maybe you should work on your coaching or skill choices Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait till you get a load of sidestep/diving tackle...or Sidestep/Frenzy so ppl can crowd you all day and you can't receprocate.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith wrote:
new to blood bowl no

new to gaming no

new to game desining no

new to game balancing no

Well, some of your skill-selections more than just suggest the opposite. Wink
Optihut

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Tor_AlKir wrote:
How is Side Step more overpowering than say....Stand Firm?? Easy cure for side step...planning and a POW. Let him side step to wherever he wants as long as when he's finished he's on his face.

Exactly, standfirm is superior to sidestep, but then again, it's also a trait. The big dilemma of elf teams is that there are just too many good skills to choose from and before a lineelf takes sidestep, I'd think block, dodge, and tackle are first in line.

EDIT: Again I get thwarted by missing the second page and seeing that what I wrote has already been said. Bummer.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

A team full of sidesteppers may be annoying, but what about a team full of dirty players, guards, blodgers or claw/rsc/po-freaks.
The TS-system takes into account that some skills are more valuable than others. What it doesn't consider is the synergy of a bunch of such players.

Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith, SideStep is a gorgeous skill. It is very useful when used properly. It is an AG skill. AG skill access is almost exclusive to low armour players, and often to STR 2 players. Making it harder to man-handle them is good, because when they do go down, they go down HARD! Believe us that the balance isn't off on this one. (Especially with ageing)

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith wrote:

(stuff deleted)

the skill is unbalanced in its present form an easy way to fix it would be to allow the defender to choose which of the eligible push squares he falls in or gets pushed to. Not the foward moving squares they can do now. It makes no sense either. I push you, you fall foward???? does that sound right to you? I push you, you adjust your fall to fall back but left. now that makes sense.

I push you, but you are agile enough to get out of the way and jump into the area I just left. THAT is what sidestep does.

I've played blood bowl for a long time on the table, and I've never heard of anyone complaining that sidestep was broken. That's like saying nerves of steel is broken because its not realistic that I can pick up the ball and throw it downfield easily with 5 opponents around.

You want fun? Take giving sidestep to a Black Orc with block and guard. Someone in my old league did that. Hard to get him off the LOS, that one.
Lazerus101

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

To me this sounds like Strength teams whining because sidestep stops the classic block chain technique they so love to employ to kill off your star players.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
SideStep is a gorgeous skill. It is very useful when used properly. It is an AG skill. AG skill access is almost exclusive to low armour players, and often to STR 2 players. Making it harder to man-handle them is good, because when they do go down, they go down HARD! Believe us that the balance isn't off on this one.

Amen to that. Sidestep is annoying, but not at all overpowered.

Those who complain about sidesteppers should just learn how to handle them. Try to provide more takle zones and NOT block the guy, making it difficult to dodge away. Most of the times I see coaches employing several assisters, then they block/blitz the sidestepper and he simply side-steps (Wink) and dodges away in his turn.

Learn from mistakes instead of saying "it's broken"!
Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Its not broken.

Sidestep alone is fine. When its on a blodger then its alot better. When that blodger has diving tackle or shadowing its just a plain pain in the ass.

My prefect ghoul 7 3 3 7 dodge, block, sidestep, tackle, diving tackle. Thats alot of skills and SSP

By then I'd expect an orc blitzer with 6 3 3 9 block, guard, tackle, mightyblow, pro to smack me

If you dont take tackle in your teams then blodge sidestep will destroy you. Nuff said.

Eddy

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

well, to have sidestep and guard, you need a normal and a doubles, unless you're playing vamps (w00t, so overpowered). if your elves have block and sidestep, they don't have dodge. to have blodge + sidestep they need to have 31 SPP, at which point you should have a couple of tacklers (otherwise you just don't build teams correctly). etc etc.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well i really like Side Step and shadowing on my catchers, stick like glue to any slow ball carriers and hold things up for my blitzers/wardancers to get stuck in and get tha ball

Sidestep/Diving Tackle is good too but not as good Smile
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Just crowdpushed a damn sidestepper.

Sure, it takes 5 guys, but it feels sooo good.