51 coaches online • Server time: 11:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nanouk

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

In my last game I thought me and my opponent rolled very many ones, so I had to find out if it really was that way or if it was just my mind...

D6: 1(257) 2(145) 3(186) 4(172) 5(174) 6(199) Total(1133)
Shocked

But I still believe the generator works...
It just had a bad day Razz

Can't forget a block by Mighty Zug. 3 dices. All Skulls... Smile
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, this thread's so funny... DaBoss, since you don't want to listen to the proofs we bring you, what about you go to www.sun.com and ask them about their Java Random Generator ? maybe Engineers working for this company for over 30 years might convince you they made everything possible to have a workable generator.

Last edited by Eddy on %b %12, %2004 - %18:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

LA LOI DES GRANDS NOMBRES. Rolling Eyes (1000=beaucoup, bravo)

I can't traduct it in english. maybe someone?
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Cor blimey guvna lots of numbers. Rolling Eyes (1000= is loads, jolly good old chap)

I can't translate into english can anyone help?

Also if you meet a really good looking english girl say 'can I feel your norks they look squishy, I am a serial killer'. Drives em wild Wink
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, you live in newcastle ? Very Happy
Delta

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

LMAO...it's true...honest!!!
Hell...it even works better with the ugly ones!!

I'm guessing the translation would be....."Thats a lot of numbers" but I am about as good with languages as I am with women. Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

"Law of large numbers." I think this is a reference to the fact that in said Law, 1000 is still considered a small number.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

mezir is right... it was an ironical post, to mock someone who is referring to the law of large numbers with the tiny number of a thousand results...

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno, being an typical ignorant Englishman I only understand err... English

But 1000 rolls seems like a fair benchmark to me plenty of time for odd trends to show themselves.
If it looked like that after 10,000 rolls I might be more enclined to believe the randomiser was being a bit funny.

and nope I live in Birmingham, after a few beers the girls stop listening anyway...

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 21:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
what about you go to www.sun.com and ask them about their Java Random Generator ?

The Java engineers didn't write the random number algorithm. And you don't really need to ask Sun how it's done as they explain it in quite a bit of detail in the API documentation:

Here and here

Ofcourse, I've quoted this before.
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

sigh ( I skipped the second page, sorry if i repeat anyone)

Just after a friend of mine posed the idea that the dice favor one team over the other ( if you have a good game : your opponent must have a bd game) , I had a few games where both my opponent and I were rolling equally well or equally crappy(roughly). Down goes the balance it out by screwing the other guy theory.

So, there is an old saying/joke about oputting a thousand monkeys in a room with a thousand typewriters (kind of like laptops with paper instead of a screen ). The idea that is EVENTUALLY the apparently random assault on the typewriters could, in theory, produce the complete works of Shakespeare.

The problem with random, is that it can appear to be structured. Pi looks relatively structured. Last I heard, the numbers are still going with no repeats.

I seem to remember someone saying that SKULL is actually affixed to a 6. If that is true, then when you are rolling the block dice and get a SKULL and you roll alot of 1's on other rolls you are not 'just getting 1's'. So while in the minds of us tabletoppers that have played without blockdice a SKULL is a 1, the client may not agree.
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2004 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

typewriters (kind of like laptops with paper instead of a screen ).

Shocked
I am getting old if there are people that actually need this description, but now I am behind at work after all that laughing.
Laughing

Quote:

I seem to remember someone saying that SKULL is actually affixed to a 6.

It was like this near the beginning but was flipped ages ago. Some people without block dice were complaining. Smile

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

SkiJunkie wrote:

It was like this near the beginning but was flipped ages ago. Some people without block dice were complaining. Smile

Lol this maybe the funniest thing ive heard in this thread yet. Did people really complain about that. Shocked

Heh. That just doesnt make sense.
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks SkiJunkie. Unfortunately that stops that argument though Smile.
Grave77digger

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Whether the die rolls are 100% random or not shouldnt be the focus. Facts are that alot of people are unhappy with the dice roller in this game and after playing a good handful of games I think they have every reason to complain/whine/quit. Theres always a human factor in rolling dice and the current generator doesnt simulate that well. Having 10 bad games followed by 10 really good games isnt my idea of randomness, let alone its not fun! lets stop talking numbers and realize the current dice system is killing the enjoyment factor. A fairer (and more enjoying) system would have the rolls balance out over the course of the 2 quarters, not over the course of 1000 games.
 Jump to: