30 coaches online • Server time: 09:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2009 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm for such an avid fan it seems strange that the Sultan would not have an extensive coaching staff -is he just less willing to share them than his harem?

Also, I've been asked to enquire whether it would be appropriate to bring gifts to the Court (to be handed to the Vizier naturally)?

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2009 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose that there would indeed need to be a 'gift' phase in there, where the Vizier gratefully accepts - on behalf of the impoverished but deserving, widows, orphans, and so forth, of course - any cash he may find over 70 000 gold while he's doing the scheduling. Otherwise, teams could exit this tournament looking rather...troubling.

As far as the coaching staff goes, I'm confident that everyone around the Sultan agrees when he maintains that he is an expert on the game. Why should he need other coaches? And why would he assume that visitors would welcome some so-called expert advisors?

Cheerleaders are quite different. As visiting teams, the Old World entrants into the tournament lack specific local fans. In order to provide a better experience for the attendees, it's only appropriate to assign some harem members to help the fans with the traditional songs and cheers of the teams.
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2009 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Got an idea for a small event or achievement prize: Healing potion that only works on player with 0-30(50?) spps.
Frankenstein

Post 20 Posted: Dec 30, 2009 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
We also need formats and ideas and names for the 2 other BlackBox Majors.

Fluff:

Blue waters, bright sunshine and lush jungles: Welcome to the Rainbow Islands, a small tropical archipelago located northeast of Lustria. Each year, wizards and other magic users of all colours and trades from all over the world gather in the capital of Habantanamo to hold their annual fair to discuss, amongst other things, the latest developments in the fields of sorcery, witchcraft, necromancy, demonology and warpstone technology, trade enchanted items as well as magical treasure and demonstrate enchanting and conjuring skills.

Naturally, all of this is just a cheap excuse to get away from wives, families, breeders, slaves, demons and animated furry things that make 'eek' when you poke them for a month and celebrate one of the world's most spectacular mega events instead, wich, purely coincidentally of course, happens to run exactly at the same time as the congress:

The Rainbow Challenge

Similar to the colorful assortment of the Wizard Covenant's participants, this tournament is renowned for its unrivaled diversity:

In order to ensure maximum revenues from cable vision broadcasting, ticket sales, media coverage and sponsoring, the most famous and popular teams from all races are given a shot at the trophy (most elves, by far the wealthiest group of the audience, wouldn't want to view endless brawls between orcs and "dorfs", therefore a considerable number of their teams unfortunately needs to be invited too. On second tought though, can there be a more blissful moment than witnessing soft elf-flesh dismantled between the razor sharp claws of one of Khorne's chaos warriors?). However, only the most illustrious, glorious and successful teams of each race can expect an invitation!

The Rainbow Challenge itself is played as a knock-out tournament with 64 teams, seeded randomly. However, no bracket of 16 teams can contain more than 1 team from any given race.

Not only does the winning team earn glory and treasure, but also magic items of unmatched craftsmanship and a free wizard for their next upcoming game! Outstanding players who win one of the 5 categories will be rewarded magnificently as well.

Format:

- Coaches can apply with as many teams as they want (not more than 1 team from any given race, obviously)

- Participating teams are selected by FF (working down the participant's list from highest FF downwards)

- A soon as a team is selected, all other teams of that coach are discarded

- As soon as a race has 4 participants, all other teams of that race are discarded

- 64 teams overall

- Once the tournament has been created, make sure that no bracket of 16 teams contains more than 1 team from each race

(Proceed as follows: From the top to the bottom of the schedule, switch the second team of any given race in a bracket with the first eligible team of of the next eligible bracket, i. e. neither team must have another team of the same in their new bracket. This is not as difficult to handle as it may appear at a first glance.)

- No dynamic winnings

Prices:

Code:
               FF   Cash   Misc
Champion       +5   100k   Magic Item
Runner-up      +2    50k
Semifinalist   +1    20k

The winner receives 1 of the following magic items (randomly determined):

Code:

- Amulet of Strength    : ST+1
- Circlet of Agility    : AG+1
- Lightning Boots       : MA+1
- Talisman of Protection: AV+1

The coach may allocate the item to a player from the participating team (but NOT on players acquired after the final).

Rewards for individual players (cumulative):

Code:
Most SPPs overall : Leader-skill / FF+1
Most touchdowns   : Pro-skill / FF+1
Most completions  : Pro-skill / FF+1
Most casualties   : Pro-skill / FF+1
Most interceptions: Pro-Skill / FF+1
Rookie Award      : Pro-Skill / FF+1 (SPPs, must not have played any games prior to the tournament)
Larsson Award     : FF+1 per Larsson

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %09, %2010 - %18:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Espionage

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I know it's not a democracy, but if i did have a vote I like both BillBrasky's and Frankenstein's ideas, If coaches are comming in to B just for tournament's, lets ghem an incentive to to try a different race.

In terms of fluff for Bill idea:

The Useless iNiative Commitee (U.N) have decided host a demonstration tournament showing all the races of the old and new worlds getting together for some feirce but friendly competition. How can there be conflict in a world where High Elves and Orcs, Dwarves and Goblins, meet on the pitch yo play a game in the spirit of the game? Maybe sombody should have explained the rules of Blood bowl to them...

The U.N have agreed to sponsor a tournament in the city of Marienburg to demontrate the styles of bloodbowl to the masses who are yet to discover it (it's huge in the empire but only has a following amongst the die-hard fans in the city-state). To ensure the finals have the right mix of styles, they are holding qualifying tournaments keeping distict playing styles separate until the finals in the City. To ensure the tournaments success sponsor sfrom several wealthy merchant families has been secured and the dockside bookies have seen unprecedented leves of gambling on the event. This level of support from a cross section of society is sure to make sure the U.N gets a message across. What the message says however is another story....

Or if sombody with more experience in writing these has a better idea, or just wants to clean up this one, I look foward to reading it.
Tathar

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
We also need formats and ideas and names for the 2 other BlackBox Majors.

The Rainbow Challenge

Prices:

Code:
               FF   Cash   Misc
Champion       +5   100k   Magic Item
Runner-up      +2    50k
Semifinalist   +1    20k

Since qualification for this tournament is based on FF, I don't think that the prize should give you any (or so much) FF.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2010 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Some random drafts and ideas:

Blackbox Majors Suggestions: Overview

Blackbox Major: Black Cup

Blackbox Major: Rainbow Islands Masters

Blackbox Major: Altdorf Champions Legue / Tilean Old World League

Blackbox Tour (or Minors) Suggestions: Overview

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %18, %2010 - %00:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2010 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

This looks very promising!

I'd like to suggest an elaboration on the magical items for the Rainbow Islands Championships.

(Btw, there's an archipelago of the coast of Araby called Sorcerers Islands. Lies beyond the Shark Straits. I don't know - there's just something a bit too Super Mario about the Rainbow Islands Wink)

Whichever it is: The many wizards on the islands this time of year bring with them many strange and fantastic tricks and items of magical power. Instead of having 4 pre-named items, there is a "new" item to the winner every year. Of course they will be either ST, AG, MA or AV, but the nature of them will differ (as will the text in the player's skill list). Since they are soulbound, they are more like spells, rather than physical items.

Here are 4 examples:
ST - Brand of Khorne
The terrified player gets branded by a Shaman of Khorne in a violent ritual. The smell of burnt flesh is repulsive, but the player now bears the mark of the Bloodthirster and his muscles grow in size before your very eyes. The player gets +1 ST and a year's supply of popkhorne.

AV - Bark Skin
The player is enchanted by an Elven Spellweaver from Athel Loren, humming an eerie and lingering song. There's a look of amazement across the player's face as all of his movements come to a complete halt. Unabled to move, he falls over and lies helpless on the grass. He then starts to shake as his skin hardens and turn darker. The player gets +1 AV and deluxe pack of elven pants in 10 different colours.

MA - Vermin Ooze
While being pinned down by a pack of skaven slaves, a plague monk inserts a syringe of dirty blue ooze right into the player's chest. He screams in agony for many minutes, but standing up again he appears to move quicker than before. The player gets +1 MA and complementary pipe for warpstone fumes.

AG - Blood Pact
The player looks perfectly comfortable kneeling down to drink from the Strigoi Vampire Count's cut wrist. After a while, the Count laughs as he lashes out at the player sending him sliding several yards away. When he stands up, he looks euphoric. The player gets +1 AG and 5 cans of spray-on tan.

Also: Such spells could be given to more than just 1 team a fumbbl-year.

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %10, %2010 - %12:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2010 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

FBBF: Is one of the World's Edge teams meant to be Skaven? If not what's there aside from Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf?

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2010 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
[...]

Awesome stuff! I like it! Smile
Quote:
Also: Such spells could be given to more than just 1 team a fumbbl-year.

I really tried to make prizes something special and unique, yet to remain reasonably within official rules and easily implemented. Therefore I took deliberately a rather conservative approach here.
Timlagor wrote:
FBBF: Is one of the World's Edge teams meant to be Skaven? If not what's there aside from Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf?

All races can apply for the World's Edge championship and its correlated Opens (that would be true for all FBBF-events btw).

The host races merely would have slight advantages (namely guaranteed slots, a slightly higher TR-limit in Opens, and foreign teams may not exceed the TR of the host team with the highest) TR.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2010 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Really like that rainbow challenge idea; it will nicely reward racial diversity & a high fan factor and should be relatively easy to implement.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2010 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

But it will require to have the FF given in the tournament application page. At the moment, the tourney-admins would have to go through each team by hand and check the FF. So it requires coding and if that coding will come (in time at least)... I don`t think so.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2010 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Frankenstein"]
Balle2000 wrote:

Timlagor wrote:

All races can apply for the World's Edge championship and its correlated Opens (that would be true for all FBBF-events btw).

The host races merely would have slight advantages (namely guaranteed slots, a slightly higher TR-limit in Opens, and foreign teams may not exceed the TR of the host team with the highest) TR.

OK.. but I'm really asking what that little icon is supposed to be (words would have been so much easier imo).
..and if it's not skaven then where's the skaven on that page?
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2010 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Timlagor wrote:
OK.. but I'm really asking what that little icon is supposed to be (words would have been so much easier imo).
..and if it's not skaven then where's the skaven on that page?

Ah, that! The "little icon" is a gutter runner, the FUMBBL Wiki uses that icon for skaven. Wink

For example here:

Check out the 9th Veteran SMACK winner (Exodus, IX)
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2010 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Had a thought for a differnt style of Tournament, box style.

Thoughts - Start a tournament with fresh teams, let everyone make teams (and say exclude star players) then match everyone up box style. Commence round 1.
Simply - winners move to round 2.
Again match everyone up and repeat.
Right up to the finals.
Yes, I realise that the final matchup may be unfair... but lets face it everyone started from the same point, If your teams is in pieces by then well....

This would put an intresting spin on team choice.

Sounds like fun to me, what does anyone else think?
 Jump to: