56 coaches online • Server time: 18:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2010 - 15:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
PC, how feasible would it be to have a Major with 8 ko qualifiers split into these categegories:

Category 1: The Damned (Undead, Necromantic & Khemri)
Category 2: The Hellspawned (Chaos, Chaos Dwarves, & Rotters)
Category 3: The Warlords (Dwarves, Ogre, & Orcs)
Category 4: The Mischievous (Halfling, Goblins & Vampire)
Category 5: The Intrepid (Human & Norse)
Category 6: The Eldritch (Elf, High Elf, & Dark Elf)
Category 7: The Lustrian (Amazon, & Lizardmen)
Category 8: The Lithe (Skaven & Wood Elves)

The victors of each of these qualifiers play in the Major.

I think this would provide a truly [B] setting with regard to racial diversity in the final KO. It would also give Duke's Rats a chance to survive to the final KO Very Happy

I could provide more fluff, if you like it.

Thanks,
BillBrasky

In the end this was the idea i took and ranw ith to come up with the Crown Of Sand.

I want to thank all that participated in this thread and gave freely of your ideas. Especially those that put the hours of thought in and came up with fantastically well rounded ideas and concepts. The work of Frankenstein and CircularLogic stands out especially. We still have another B Major to design and it is to this that i shall turn soon, i am sure this thread will again provide bountyfull inspiration.

To reply specifically to Bill and why i didnt just take his group Designs. While i like them, and it is tempting to see all the orcs, Dwarves and Ogres cram into one lethal qualifier, my concern was that the tighness and speicificness of the groups would lend itself to preperation and tailored design of teams. Also part of the brief is to be as inclusive as possible, i hope the Crown Of Sand will encourage team diversity while not punishing anyone for choosing , or even vastly prefering, one particular race.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

After playing some games in (B) and since it's not decided how or if there will be (B) in the future i leave my 2 cents.

Altough i read many players defending the fairness of the random blackbox pairings against the ranked "cherrypicking" I found blackbox even easier that ranked.

in Ranked:

My high ranking scares 50% of my oponents.
I face myself having to play ranked games always against better teams since no one will play me with a weaker team.
If i try to elfbowl my way into majors, everyone that plays me tries to wreck my team in the first opportunity (you're a favourite!)
I can rarely find games.

In Blackbox:

Got 170 ranking in 60 games. How?
Play only with 9 av teams.
Get 2 Dps first 2 skills.
Weaker players are forced to play me.
Very seldom i have to face good players (the only ones that usually dare to face me in ranked in a fair matcup).
I had 2 tough games in 60! (i lost a bit more to dice of course).
Carnis

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting pmg Wink.

Did you "pimp" your teams to get good matchups (optimize TS to be low to get matches with weaker players/teams)?

Do you, like me, feel playing ogres was favourable in the B div compared to R (I see you had a 20-3-4 ogre team)?

I still wouldn't claim getting 170 ranking in 60 games is a null achievement, it still takes a lot of skill, even if you're (if I interpret it right) saying it was easy to achieve by DP spamming.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Also many didn't want ranking used in the scheduler?

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

My record with Ogre teams is pretty similar in ranked, i even won the only Smack Legend with an Ogre team ever, altough with high TS ogres you can only play in tournaments as basically no one will play you in normal ranked match. My main point is that as long as you build 9av teams, you are going to be favoured with the pairings in (B).

In ranked i only get fair matchups against good coaches. Against poor coaches i usually have to play against stronger teams or tough race pairings.

In Blackbox i get to play against a wider spread of coaches which means in general, 80% of very easy matches.

Of course if you dare to play lower av teams, any donk will manage to destroy your team in (B) since you can't elfbowl you way.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw would seem to help mitigate that effect in a ff[b] division? Wink
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I really wish the new main division would use the Blackbox system when we switch over. Let there be an open or league division reserved for those who want to pick their matchups.

PMG, I don't know that 60 games is a good sample size to get a feel for the division. When Blackbox was popular, there were more varied coaches of all skill levels. I played thousands of games in Blackbox, and had many challenging matches. Lately of course the division has died off probably due to the arrival of FFB, and possibly the cyanide game as well.
Flix

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Blackbox is very very good, and i persoanly love Blackbox, but we need a merge of Ranked and Blackbox
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Pmg wrote:

Of course if you dare to play lower av teams, any donk will manage to destroy your team in (B) since you can't elfbowl you way.

3 of the longest running teams in Blackbox are Rats, played by Jimjo, Odi and myself and we all have a record of around 67-68%.

Just because you haven't decided to play AV7 doesn't mean it;s not viable. In fact with bashers gearing up to play bashers, low AV teams have a very high success rate in Blackbox.

As for 'Easier than Ranked' come back to me when you have reached a BWR of 180.
Pmg

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I only played 77 games in (B), and since I got bored with it, i will never have the chance for a 180 (B) ranking. But it would just be a question of time or a good run in a major, just like getting 200 CR in normal (R).
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Pmg wrote:
I only played 77 games in (B), and since I got bored with it, i will never have the chance for a 180 (B) ranking. But it would just be a question of time or a good run in a major, just like getting 200 CR in normal (R).

If you can only get 170 in Blackbox, but 180 in Ranked, then how do you come to the conclusion that Blackbox is easier?

Most coaches (yourself included) have a BWR lower than their CR, because the game enviroment is more acurate.
Pmg

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I played 2000 games in ranked and got 200 CR, to the cost of high elo matches in very hard tournaments. In 60 games in BB i got 170 in 60 mostly easy games and i do not see a reason why pairings would be harder so i imagine good coaches with their ranking going up eternally.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Pmg wrote:
I played 2000 games in ranked and got 200 CR, to the cost of high elo matches in very hard tournaments. In 60 games in BB i got 170 in 60 mostly easy games and i do not see a reason why pairings would be harder so i imagine good coaches with their ranking going up eternally.

However, you have since dropped back below 170 and coaches that have played a great many more games than you (CircularLogic for example) have never even reached 180 without falling back.

So, with you reaching 200 CR and no-one ever reaching 180 BWR, you have still decided that Blackbox is the easier division. Are you not able to see where the logic fails in your summary?
Pmg

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

2000>77 (and 12 majors and something like 70 high elo tournaments) <=> 200cr>170Bwr (1 game in a major and no existance of further high elo tournaments). Put Smacks, Minor and XFL tournaments in (B) and you'll have 190 BWR in a month. Logic enough? No Elo, no Ranking.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are under the impression that tournaments rank higher than normal games, which is not the case.

It will probably be easier if you just prove me wrong, by being the first coach to break 180 BWR.
 Jump to: