42 coaches online • Server time: 11:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you joining [B] in the new client?
Yes i will join, I played [B] in the old client also!
53%
 53%  [ 68 ]
Yes i will begin to play [B] because of the changes in the ruleset!
7%
 7%  [ 10 ]
I will stick to [R] because i like to pick my games
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
I will stick to [R] because that's where the majors are
7%
 7%  [ 10 ]
I will play both [R] and [B]
17%
 17%  [ 23 ]
What is [B]???
9%
 9%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 128

shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2010 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

unfortunately, roracle, i can't give you a good answer to my thoughts on that, since i'm pretty biased against LRB5/6 in general....wouldn't really be a fair answer...

--j

ImageImage
On1

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Here, here. Right now I'm sat looking at a dry gf and almost made a bb team but after listening to On1 just couldn't bring myself to do so.

thanks.. really.. :/

Listen.. all of you can do what you want, i really don't care. I have not been offensive towards anyone, and i actually thought people were intelligent enough to read between the lines, when i call [R] coaches cherry pickers in the main channel.. Don't you think i know that 90% of the people reading my statements are [R] coaches? do you think i'm stupid? it's called being provocative, and sometimes it leads to a heated debate and the debate is what i'm looking for.. The thing is.. i never meant to hurt anyones feelings in the process.. only to talk about [R] vs [B] ... So please.. it has nothing to do about what I think of people playing [R] as individuals....

Anyway... i myself say no to bashy offers in [R] even though the matchup might seem fair. I love the fact that i don't have the option to choose my game in [B]

And to all those people talking about having to play against slow, annoying and bashy coaches... well how competitive is that? I understand that a game is supposed to be fun and all... But still... [R] is supposed to be the most competitive league... not a knitting club where you eat cookies and compliments each others cuteness while you play...

I know my statements are a bit random... and my wording a bit off...

Edit: oh and i don't waste time playing blackbox or ranked atm... i test the new client instead... i suggest all of you do the same... and make bug reports!! make a huge amount of bug reports!!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
And to all those people talking about having to play against slow, annoying and bashy coaches... well how competitive is that? I understand that a game is supposed to be fun and all... But still... [R] is supposed to be the most competitive league... not a knitting club where you eat cookies and compliments each others cuteness while you play...

Annoying, slow coaches are a COMPLETELY different issue than bashy ones.
I don't dodge bashy ones, but I WILL make sure I avoid annoying and slow ones. In the Box, I can't.

As for "how competitive is that", Synn or Purplegoo or Purplechest can anal rape me just fine in R, thankyou. And they are classy enough to be make me like it, even.

Now... being the sucky coach I am, the box sure can grant me the same sort of man-love, but it can't grant me the same amount of fun in the process, because I don't get to pick my opponent (as in "pick a guy I respect and I enjoy a friendly banter with").

No need for B to look for challenges.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
On1 wrote:

Annoying, slow coaches are a COMPLETELY different issue than bashy ones.
I don't dodge bashy ones, but I WILL make sure I avoid annoying and slow ones. In the Box, I can't.

As for "how competitive is that", Synn or Purplegoo or Purplechest can anal rape me just fine in R, thankyou. And they are classy enough to be make me like it, even.

Now... being the sucky coach I am, the box sure can grant me the same sort of man-love, but it can't grant me the same amount of fun in the process, because I don't get to pick my opponent (as in "pick a guy I respect and I enjoy a friendly banter with").

No need for B to look for challenges.

There is a difference between a challenge and something being competitive... I have nothing against the friendly elements this game bring, don't get me wrong Razz but a friendly banter is often not very competitive. (it can be)

Anyway... I am just looking forward to [B] in the new client.. i will try teach myself that people are different and have different perspectives.

My brain contains universal truth on this subject... I can't seem to find the words Sad
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

friendly banter, in itself, is not competitive...

but competition can breed friendly banter....which is where i think you're missing jan's point, on1....he has competitive matches against coaches like synn & purplegoo....and in addition, has friendly banter against those people, which is part of what he enjoys in the game...

blackbox can't guarantee that...

--j

ImageImage
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The point about slow players is good and I see On1 sidestepped it nicely. One of the few good ideas Cyanide had was to allow people to choose their turn limits when looking for a game. I'm not completely up to date with the new client, but something like that could be nice. Granted, our player base probably isn't large enough to support different groups looking for a two-minute game and others looking for a four-minute one. At the very least, I'd like stricter turn limits as an option.
Resarf

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

the new client lets you end your opponent's turn if it goes over 4 minutes.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup its true, i wonder if anyone has actually pressed that button yet because I haev had loads of chances but haven't had the bottle.

I think all this debate while interesting is a little moot as people are making reference to the box as it is now in LRB4 and personally I think it will be a different kettle of fish and a lot more appealing in LRB6. Also journeymen might bring in more so called finesse teams like pro elves to the table which I think will benefit the league and also please the existing box users, and I'm sure if people are going to press the end opponents turn button anytime it will be in the box Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

In short, Yes. I will.

Off topic however, people seem to be getting upset about On1's comments. That confuses me. If On1 is serious, then I for one, would consider him a twat and ignore him. If he is Trolling hard he needs to Troll harder. If he is just being jocular then I like him and look forward to seeing him on the [B]attle field. Jan also makes some good points for [R], so I don't plan on giving it up yet (although I play hardly any games online...) Does this make me a Hy[B][R]id?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I will treat the end turn button like i treat slow players now.

First time they go over 4 minutes i will not comment

Second time they go over i shall politely remind them that the extra time is not for thinking, but for emergencies.

Third time i would press the button, unless of course they had good reason. (i wish i could do thid now.

As for whether pressing the button will be more prevailant in the box, i have had plenty of occasions when playing in the box of opponents have to answer a phone etc without fuss.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
The point about slow players is good and I see On1 sidestepped it nicely. One of the few good ideas Cyanide had was to allow people to choose their turn limits when looking for a game. I'm not completely up to date with the new client, but something like that could be nice. Granted, our player base probably isn't large enough to support different groups looking for a two-minute game and others looking for a four-minute one. At the very least, I'd like stricter turn limits as an option.

On Cyanide the standard seems to be 2 mins. People who want to increase their chances choose 2 or 4 mins. People who choose 4 mins only accept that they could have to wait a while.

Having a hard 2 min cap may actually bring in more coaches. The "2 or 4 min" option could also allow you to state your preference.

It might also be better if the end turn is automatic. i.e. If the person say "sorry phone" then you can press the button to stop his turn from ending. If you get fed up waiting you press it again and the turn ends.

Ideally whether to use a hard cap should be configurable by division or league.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah thats not a bad idea, or a pause button that both players need to press to stop the turn clock.

Although I think it is okay at the moment really, I just think if you warn your opponent that they are taking too long and that you may end their turn in future then nothing else is required really.
Resarf

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

as for the journeyman comments from sweet jesus zombie, I am pretty sure the new rule around having to fill up the roster and not intentionally running short handed is to deal with flaws advantaging shorthanded teams in FFB.

as for the end oppos turn button: it's fine,stuff like "It might also be better if the end turn is automatic. i.e. If the person say "sorry phone" then you can press the button to stop his turn from ending. If you get fed up waiting you press it again and the turn ends. " is ridiculously nitpicky. If you're too lazy for one mouseclick you really shouldn't be playing should you?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet-Zombie-Jesus wrote:
Off topic however, people seem to be getting upset about On1's comments. That confuses me. If On1 is serious, then I for one, would consider him a twat and ignore him. If he is Trolling hard he needs to Troll harder. If he is just being jocular then I like him and look forward to seeing him on the [B]attle field.

it's part trolling, part seriousness...

plenty of people claim "oh i'm just joking around har har, can't you take a joke?" but this line of thinking has been around for a long time, and it's a major sticking point for why a lot of coaches don't embrace [B] more, because it's not just On1 who says it, it's quite a few of the vocal minority within [B]...

it's a lot easier said, than done, to just say "oh just ignore him"...in [B], we can't ignore him if we get drawn against him, and a lot of coaches don't want to be associated with him in the division, and much less in a game, due to the mentality that he brings to the table about other coaches in other divisions...

--j

ImageImage
On1

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2010 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Sweet-Zombie-Jesus wrote:
Off topic however, people seem to be getting upset about On1's comments. That confuses me. If On1 is serious, then I for one, would consider him a twat and ignore him. If he is Trolling hard he needs to Troll harder. If he is just being jocular then I like him and look forward to seeing him on the [B]attle field.

it's part trolling, part seriousness...

plenty of people claim "oh i'm just joking around har har, can't you take a joke?" but this line of thinking has been around for a long time, and it's a major sticking point for why a lot of coaches don't embrace [B] more, because it's not just On1 who says it, it's quite a few of the vocal minority within [B]...

it's a lot easier said, than done, to just say "oh just ignore him"...in [B], we can't ignore him if we get drawn against him, and a lot of coaches don't want to be associated with him in the division, and much less in a game, due to the mentality that he brings to the table about other coaches in other divisions...

--j

Are you refering to me? :/

Seriously.. What is wrong with you guys? Yes i have some opinions, but i hardly cause any of you any harm...

Fact: in [R] you can choose/pick your matches...

everyone will abuse this at some point, myself included... I think [R] is a bad format for the most competitive league... I wanted to have the majors moved to [B] back in the time because of that, and yes i admit i called [R] coaches pickers! Smile this spawned some debates, me likes.. But i guess i offended some people in the process.. I wonder if the insults had some truths to them Wink

LATER some majors were developed in [B] so i thought to myself, perhaps i should just enjoy [B] as it is.. and i did.. I still think [R] is infected with the fact that you CAN pick. (i really don't care how, when, why and who does not pick)

I am not an annoying person to play against and i am friendly by nature.. (Sometimes i whine when i get diced, calling my opponent lucker etc... slowly learning to stay calm though) so i see no reason for avoiding me on the pitch..

Have fun.
 Jump to: