27 coaches online • Server time: 02:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should Araby be tested out in the dX division?
Yes, this looks promising
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Maybe, but change some things first
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
No, there is no way this will work
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 33

m0nty

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

This page is an interesting source of player-conceived human races for the Warhammer world. One of the races listed there is Araby, an analogue to the real life Middle Eastern races, with the usual fantasy accompaniments. I have tried translating this to Blood Bowl, keeping in line with the usual race creation guidelines.

0-1 Djinn 110000 7-5-2-8 Big Guy, Wild Animal, Frenzy, Mighty Blow, Foul Appearance G S
0-1 Ogre 120000 5-5-2-9 Big Guy, Bone Head, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Throw Team Mate G S
0-4 Dervish 90000 7-3-3-7 Frenzy, Jump Up, Side Step G S
0-2 Catcher 70000 7-3-3-7 Catch, Side Step G A
0-2 Thrower 70000 7-3-3-7 Pass, Side Step G P
0-12 Lineman 50000 7-3-3-7 Side Step G

Re-rolls: 60000
Apothecary: Yes
Big Guys: 1

I modelled the positional distribution on the Norse. The Brettonians are their traditional opponents. Ideally I would like to give the Djinn the Leap skill, to simulate their teleporting ability, but of course Big Guys are forbidden from getting agility-based skills in the guidelines. I also toyed with the idea of the team having one or two Lazars with the Infect ability, as per the description on the abovelinked Araby Bestiary page. I thought that a pretty conformist roster like this would have the highest chance of success.

Last edited by m0nty on %b %20, %2003 - %17:%Sep; edited 1 time in total

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I think as a more balanced team maybe drop the Side Step for lineman as it is too useful. I'd also add 10k to both the catchers and throwers. If not then add 20k to the rerolls. I believe this is a more balanced team. Not through any calculations but just from instinct. I just thought i'd add my tuppennies worth. Otherwise that looks quite an exciting team and I'd be glad to help playtest it
Jugular

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry that was me. In my excitement to get to the forum I had forgotten to sign in first.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I changed the catcher/thrower costs from 60k to 70k as per Jugular's excellent suggestion... I had it as 70 originally as I was juggling skills and stats, but somehow it ended up as 60.

On taking Side Step away from the linemen: since it's based on the Norse line-up which all have the supremely useful Block skill, I thought it would be suitable to give every position the defining Araby skill.
Jared

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

and sidestep isnt too powerful as opposed to block for norse or dodge for amazons as it dosnt help you avoid going down,

XXXtreme ball with added XX
Christer

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 18:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to spoil it for you, but DivX doesn't include rosters that are not published as experimental in BBMags or Annuals. The only exception for this is if the BRBC approaches fumbbl with a request to playtest something.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

And we had fun, fun, fun til Christer took the T-Bird away.
lord_real

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with sidestep is that your opponent have to wait for your selection for each and every block he throws at you. With a slow player this would be unbearable (since it was your opponent that slowed down your own turn as well). SIdestep is ok when it is on 0-4 players but after that it becomes anoying.
A faster skill is prefered.
Colin

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2003 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Sorry to spoil it for you, but DivX doesn't include rosters that are not published as experimental in BBMags or Annuals.

There's no harm in us proposing new rosters anyway, especially as a new division (DivXXX?) was proposed some time ago, which would allow new rosters to be submitted.

As for this one, all the players look a bit too cheap.
Linemen are effectively the same as Skaven but with Side Step for free (drop Side Step, as already suggested, or reduce MA to 6), Throwers and Catchers are similar to Norse/Amazon ones, but with +1 MA for free (increase cost to 80k, though I could live with the Throwers staying at 70k, as Side Step isn't such a help to them). Dervishes initially looked too cheap with all those skills, but lack of Dodge or Block may make them OK at 90k.

Then we come to the Big Guy; he's either way too cheap or way too good. The most similar existing BG is the Rat Ogre (trading 1 point of Ag for 1 point of Ma, and prehensile Tail for Foul Appearance), and Rat Ogres cost 130k. In reality, Ma is more valuable than Ag to a Wild Animal, and a Djinn with Break Tackle and Pass Block would be simply frightening. I suggest upping cost to 130k, and dropping Ma by 1.

Final note: This team will suffer horrible player losses, like Skaven, without the scoring potential of the Skaven, so in play testing my cost increases may actually make the team impossible to develop, because of constant player turnover. I guess this is what play-testing is for Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

m0nty wrote:
0-1 Djinn 110000 7-5-2-8 Big Guy, Wild Animal, Frenzy, Mighty Blow, Foul Appearance G S
0-1 Ogre 120000 5-5-2-9 Big Guy, Bone Head, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Throw Team Mate G S

Oooh! I love new team ideas. Although this one's 2 years old it's new to us newcomers. Araby is an interesting idea that fills a gap in the Warhammer-to-BloodBowl conversion.

However, according to this list linemen should definately be 60k to account for their extra advancement compared to 50k linemen (skaven, norse, human etc.)
The djinn is excellent fluffwise and has a neat incorporation of the wind factor and its amaterial essence in foul appearance. But, since it's way better than a minotaur (-horns, -TS, +MA, +MA, +FA) it should natuarlly be more expensive (130k).
A more interesting change would be to lose MB. Not every wind has hurricane strength. However, I propose to replace foul appearance with break tackle. It's more windy that way and having both of them would be too awesome.
I don't think the ogre reallt fits here. Sure, there are ogres all over the world but they just don't adapt to this teams agile style.
Also I think the frenzy + jump up formula is becoming old. Let the dervish be a little more original. Replace either skill with block and possibly give it agility access. Having 5 frenzy on start is definately not according to my guidelines to a reasonalbe team.
So, here's my proposal.

0-1 Djinn 120000 7-5-2-8 Big Guy, Wild Animal, Frenzy, Break Tackle G S
0-4 Dervish 90000 7-3-3-7 Jump Up, Block, Side Step G S
0-12 Lineman 60000 7-3-3-7 Side Step G

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

m0nty wrote:

G acces to BG must be a mistake. The lines are effectively or too cheap or too good for the price. For me MA 6 fits better (human and elves are usually MA 6). I don't see them beeing really strong at high TR but they might cause some problems and have a good feeling. Especially vs cagers. Side Step is a pain for them to form properly a cage (combined with jump up frenzy side step blitzers) BUT AV 7 will hurt them a lot. I d say ok to this team (with line beeing MA6)

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Edited because the necromancy was intentional o.O