79 coaches online • Server time: 22:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daku

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

Newish player to bloodbowl (it's been years!). I'm having a real tough time matching up dark elves vs. dwarf when just starting out.

My dark elf team is marginally faster then the dwarf team, so keeping the ball away and not getting tied up is difficult. The main kicker is everyone and their dog has block/skills, where I'm down to 2 guys with block the rest skillless (9 linemen + 2 blitzers). I can't stop any advance, cage forms slowly (nor can I play any keep away), and breaking his cage is next to impossible (I lose vs. block). It didn't help that almost every move he made was 'going for it' and the dice gods were all over him. I had some luck in dodging away, but my guys were just getting murdered out there. I couldn't figure out a way around him other than meeting him somewhat head-on, which has not worked out for me.

So how does one play a starting DE team vs. dwarves? I've lost this matchup 3 times (not on FUMBBL), and about ready to retire the DE's for something more bashy.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

only a few things
1. The matchup is disadvantagous for Darkelves on low level, don't raise too high expectations.
2. Focusing on making the tie and the own offense can be all it needs to make your opponent panic and decide such a game for you.
3. In defense don't forget that you need your players to make a good offense and don't try to waste them in unnecessary 1:1.
4. If you don't attack the dwarves, the dwarves will attack you. Focus on strategies to fight them off. Due to block they have much better odds to knock you down then you them. Even a normal 2-dice-block on them has still considerable risks for you being rather skillless. Higher armor and thick skulll will make it almost impossible to remove them from the field but if you do, it's a reason to celebrate.
5. Against unbreakable cages many coaches suggest fouling game. It's not the best one can do IMHO, but it's kind of a last resort worth giving a thought. .
6. Play aware of your own equipment with block. If you decide anyways to get into a 1:1 try to set a block-skiller on a block-skiller and a blockless on a blockless.
7. There is one reason for you to risk wasting your players: Dwarves are not being only slow they are also for big parts not agile enough to get out of a tacklezzone. Use contact as a last resort to bind them on a spot and move freely. But be aware that this will only work very few turns and you will get outbashed very fast. Eventually you have to think of a strategy to reformate your players into better positions.
8. In that regard, give your opponent little room to move without directly coming at him. Spread your players as wide as you can. Minimize his moving area. Make sure there is a second line of defense so that he can't break through your ranks with a blitz. Due to his slowness proceeding will be very difficult.
9.About avoiding: In a 1:3 against you, it might be the better approach to just dodge away rather then giving in into a fight to knock one of his guys down and end up being connected to several of them. But of course you wanna rather fight then dodge: Fighting has the better odds in 2:1 and if you don't fight enough, it will be a reason for him to come at you even harder. He may think he is involunarable. Make sure the dwarf coach understands, he is wrong about that.
10. Don't panic, be aware that your opponent has the odds on his side. If you see an opening, it's ok to take a risk but don't take it too often and make sure that it sticks, when you do.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %05, %2010 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
odi

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually play the waiting game vs dwarves. Keep a screen in fron to the dwarf (not in their TZs, but 1 square away.) cage so they can only advance 1 square per turn. If they fail something, strike! If they dont, they'll still be in a hurry to score on the last couple turns, so that might leave an opening.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

another question: what is your starting lineup?

lrb 4 should be: 10 linos, 1 blitzer, 2 RRs 9 FF to beat dwarfs, while LRB 5 could be 1 Blitzer, 10 Linos, 3 RRs, 4 FF - you need 3 rerolls for dark elves to perform ok, 4-5 to perform nicely - you only need 1 block guy at the beginning for crucial blitzes
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
I usually play the waiting game vs dwarves. Keep a screen in fron to the dwarf (not in their TZs, but 1 square away.) cage so they can only advance 1 square per turn. If they fail something, strike! If they dont, they'll still be in a hurry to score on the last couple turns, so that might leave an opening.

Yup, that would be my advice as well. Also sneak someone in the back (just a lino). Try to shift the cage to one side -> Easier to screen

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

An option if you start in ofense is delaying your touch... trust a bit in av8 (no Migthy Blow in starting Dwarfs) and dodge and burn RR's and try to score about turn 5-6 if posible. Dwarfs are slow and not very agile, chances are the half ends 1-0 to you (may be 2-0 if he fumbles something) and that's good enought, 2nd half your opponent has to choose to either settle for the draw (8 safe turns for you to try to win) or risk an elfy touch (even Dark Elves have a good offense to worry bashers)
Optihut

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought I was a genius in this particular matchup (6/1/1), but now that I've checked my games, I've noticed that either my team was significantly stronger or my CR was higher... So yeah, cherry picking would certainly help with the tough Dark Elf - Dwarf matchup, but it's not a good option. Following other people's advice in this thread and practise is the way to go.
 Jump to: