20 coaches online • Server time: 03:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

With so many new coaches on fumbbl, I'm noticing that many of them are making the same mistakes in team creation that I used to make.

I'm posting this hoping to keep new fumbbl coaches from making fatal errors in the design of their teams.

While it may be none of my business (and it really isn't) I'd like to pass along a few suggestions on creating a new team.

I know it is tempting to create a position player roster that looks powerful off the bat (lots of blitzers, catchers, lion warriors, ogres etc) but in the long term management of your team it will turn out bad.

A stacked roster with 1rr and 2ff will be great for the first game or two, but as soon as you start losing players you'll find you don't have enough money to replace them.

RR: rerolls double in price after you start your team.. and you will need rerolls no matter how skilled your position players are. And again if you took a low ff, you'll never be able to afford new ones.

Big Guys: Yes they are cool. Yes they are big. But guess what they are also turn killers and unreliable in the beginning. That 100K+ can be better spent.

Bottom line....

All my newer teams start with 8-9FF and a *minimum* of 2 re-rolls.

Yes this means you will need to buy mostly linemen, and your first few games will take some inginuity to win, but in the long run you'll thank me for it.

The loaded player / low ff / low rr teams all seem to end up in fumbbl's trash bin.

Just trying to save you some of the pain (and umpteen retired teams) I went through before I started listening to the experienced coaches and began thinking about team development in the long term.

If any other coaches have additional advice post it here.

Cheers!

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hear, hear! I'll just add that you should check out the User Guide Strategy and Tips section, especially the Team Creation part:

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=Strategy%20and%20Tips

If any more experienced coaches have anything to add to the User Guide, they can go right ahead and edit it.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2003 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

My first team ever was here on FUMBBL about a year ago. I think I had 7 beastment, 3 chaos warriors, a minotaur(!), and (whatever it comes out to. I'm too lazy to figure it out) 2 RRs and 2 or 3 FF.

It was the worst team I ever had. My record was something like 2/4/20 by the time everything got wiped for the new system. And this was before Wild Animal was implemented in the client and Minos had Really Stupid!

My second team ever was built along the same lines that BP just suggested. Their record was not quite up to .500, if I remember correctly, but infinitely better nonetheless. Heed the advice unless you really want to do otherwise for fun. Really.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

yea Guys I here Ya. I have started three teams now. 1 skaven 1 orc and 1 Dark Elf.

I thought that my orks were invincible. They had three rerolls and were pretty strong up front with three blockers and an ogre. But they only had a fan factor of three. Now it is one. They have never won a game and I don't think they will. ff1 (started at 3) rr3

My dark elfs lost their witch elf first game. They suck because they can't replace him and can't do anything about it. ff3 rr2

My skaven on the other hand have a (1/1/2) record and those losses came vs two goblin teams with 140 points (both of them.) ff10 rr2

My advice is this:
Don't try and take too many teams on that are just way more experinced then you aare (it is discouraging)
Make a team with a decient fan factor. 3 ain't good enough.
grab rerolls at least two. cause they really help.
Get a big guy if you want but be wary of wild animals, they arn't too usefull till you get pro or block. Don't count on ur big guys
Don't worry about not having "that" player. Get them later. start off small.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

*Always* take FF 9, or 8 for elves. It is the best investment in the growth of your team you can possibly make. Also, it is a good idea to start with at least a few rerolls. You can buy that blitzer for the same price a few games down the line, but rerolls cost double as soon as you start the team, so buy them while they are cheap.

The Finishing Touch
Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I'm any expert but "always" is a pretty strong word considering all the teams and roster combinations you can choose. I would agree that 6-7 is probably the minimum to start though.

I've started with 6 and got back up to 9 in 3-4 games.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

lucky you... Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree. I have several teams that front loaded on cration and have done very well. Those teams that front load and end up in the trash bin are because the coches sucks. There is no BOTTOM line on team making.

Rerolls can always be purchased later. The fact they cost double can help keep TR down. Also starting with better players NOW, and getting them valuable SPP means longer term survivability.

FF, everyone here starts with high FF, BORING!! I have an undefeated Chaos Dwarf team with 5 FF. FF goes up and down and is mostly out of a teams control is you roll bad or good.

So my advice to vetern coaches is shut your yap and let others decide what suits their interests and fun in this league. Lose the "my way is better and you will have more fun my way" attitude.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

"My way is better and you will have more fun." We aren't telling you to shut your yap, yet you appear to be doing it to us. It's supposed to be advice, not "This is how you're going to do it".

In any case, I must disagree with you on getting your positionals first and getting them spps fast - in the case of Big Guys, Black Orcs, etc that holds true. However, what use is it to get your Dark Elf Blitzer as many spps as fast as he can? You're better off developing your line-elves - you can always get the Blitzer spps since he's faster and more versatile, so why do it immediately? A strong base will help you more in the long run. The same is true for Orc Blitzers, Chaos Warriors (ag 3, get them two touch-downs when you buy them later). Chaos Dwarfs are an exception, since they get cheap re-rolls and have av 9 - so yes CDs can afford to start with a lower FF. However, elves can't, nor can Chaos - one because you'll lose players, the other because you really need to get RR fast.

You're free to build your teams as you like, and you're free to give advice to others as you see fit. Let us do the same. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I agree Mez, but the condescending tone is what I don't like. I CONTRADICT what bunny is saying is his 'better' opinion for team creation. I've done both with equal success. Starting a post to ALL NEW COACHES, HERE IS THE FORLULA TO MAKING GOOD TEAMS, is kinda arrogant don't you think?

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Plus, where was this post when I was new and didn't know how to play or make teams Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

i always take ff 9...
my gobbos are down to 4 now Sad and i won as many games as i lost.... well.. would i have started lower it would be even lower than 4 now i guess...
Jugular

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

It's just Maths Darkwolf. Given an average amount of luck a team with a higher FF will make more cash and find more games therefore most people will find it easier and more enjoyable to play that team for longer. I can see ur point about team development. Not everyone has your obviously great skill on the pitch and needs every bit of luck stacked in their favour, therefore I think the statement is pretty sound and nor is it stated in a patronising way. You may notice BunnyPuncher uses the phrase "suggestions" and is quite selfeffacing in his intro.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
Hey, I agree Mez, but the condescending tone is what I don't like. I CONTRADICT what bunny is saying is his 'better' opinion for team creation. I've done both with equal success. Starting a post to ALL NEW COACHES, HERE IS THE FORLULA TO MAKING GOOD TEAMS, is kinda arrogant don't you think?

I have no idea how you could think what i posted was in a condescending tone. All I was doing was giving advice based on my experiences, the opinions of others whom I respect, and general observations.

You are correct in that there is no one right way to build a team, and coaches should do whatever they want. However, at the time as a new approval monkey, I was a little concerned when I noticed about half the teams I was approving had 0-1 rr and 1-2ff. To someone who is new to the game, ff looks like an unimportant stat, it doesn't do much for you in game and it costs money. All I intended with my original post was for people to consider the importance of rr and ff in the long term development of their team.

I titled it "New Coaches" because the majority of the more experienced coaches have already adopted this method or been exposed to it and rejected it.

All it is is advice, imho, good advice. Take it or leave it.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Not that I'm any expert but "always" is a pretty strong word considering all the teams and roster combinations you can choose. I would agree that 6-7 is probably the minimum to start though.

Perhaps instead of "always" I should have said that taking the maximum FF is mathematically proven to be a huge payoff. There was an article on it detailing the statistics of the gains you could expect to see from it. If I find it again I will post it, but keep in mind by saying always I am not saying always in my opinion, but always by the odds.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: