47 coaches online • Server time: 15:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Inscription JBL Sais...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
truckerpunk

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2008 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a MAJOR problem. Hope someone know what to do. First of all I run Ubuntu Linux. Here's what the problem is. EVERY time my opponent inflicts a CAS on me, and I refuse to use my Apo, the game freezes and you have to load. This is a serious problem... But if I use the apo it keeps going without any problems... Any idea what to do? It's pretty frustrating.. No one wants to play against someone when it's basically impossible to inflict a CAS on me... Understandable enough... Really frustrating... And I have tried to reinstall the client and the patch several times. What makes the problem even morer serious is that I mostly play Skaven... Witch means that I need that apo pretty often... Fragile little vermin. Smile
Meech

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2008 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no knowledge of what to do to help you.... the only thing that I know that fixed my freeze problems was updating network card drivers.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2008 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey truckerpunk -- I just found out I have the same problem. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and Sun Java 6. Let me know if you find a solution.

Has anyone else running Ubuntu encountered this problem with the apothecary?
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2008 - 06:54 Reply with quote Back to top

You may be missing blood graphics, have the bloodgraphics in a format the client does not recognize or load, or the file that references the blood decals is missing or has invalid entries.

Since you already tried reinstalling, which usually fixes his problem, make sure you are running Javabowl from it's own directory, not any temp directory or zip file.

Search your hardrive for any multiple copies. Delete all copies except the files in the directory you run it from. (Also check that you don't have a another copy of Javabowl installed in the javabowl directory. ie a couched program.)

If you have nothing to lose, I'd even delete all copies and install fresh.

If the game works when you play a local game not over the network or internet, then I'd say it is a problem with Java and your modum.
Paragon

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2008 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

MSpanke wrote:
You may be missing blood graphics, have the bloodgraphics in a format the client does not recognize or load, or the file that references the blood decals is missing or has invalid entries.

I don't believe it's an issue with blood graphics. I can kill, maim, and burn my opponent endlessly without a problem, and I had no issues with casualties on my teams before getting an apothecary. This issue only appears when I decline to use the apothecary on one of my players.

I'll see if a reinstall will help. It would be comforting to hear if any Ubuntu users out there are successfully able to decline using the apothecary.
truckerpunk

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2008 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I've found that it was in fact a Java problem. Run run an distro of linux called Ubunut... The standard Java interpretor(or what these things a known as) is called/based upon OpenJDK... This is the probem... Or at least was for me. After installing the newest version of Sun java the problem has disappeared like a Skaven linerat after about three games Smile. Hope this helps. Of cause its of out most importance to remember to choose the Sun Java as the default Java-thing. If you are running Linux here's a list of the Sun Java packages you need:

Sun-java6-bin

Sun-java6-fonts

Sun-java6-jre

Sun-java6-plugin

And afterwards you'll have to set SunJava to be the default Java... This is done by typing the following command in a terminal:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

and selecting Sun java.

Hope this helps anyone else who has experienced the great sadness of not being able to play Blood Bowl at Fumbbl.

See you on the pitch... And thanks for all the replys.
Paragon

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2008 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

truckerpunk wrote:
Hope this helps anyone else who has experienced the great sadness of not being able to play Blood Bowl at Fumbbl.

Thanks truckerpunk -- after following your post, it looks like I had been running OpenJDK as well (even though Sun Java was already installed on my PC). Hopefully the switch to Sun's Java will clear everything up.
Ludovicious

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2008 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried the very same thing two weeks ago on my dad's comp. He uses that version of Ubuntu (8.04). I know that when he had a slightly older version of it there was no problem with the apo/freeze thingy... and that he had Sun's Java installed both then and now.
mdeppe

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2009 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for this thread, I had exactly the same problem (game freeze when choosing not to use the apo, running Ubuntu 8.10), and apparently it's fixed now, by changing to Sun Java as default.

Also, the graphics look nicer using Sun Java, it seems there was some kind of scaling problem for the player pictures (the large ones, not the ones on the pitch)!

Very Happy
Grod

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey cool I have previously had the same problem about 3 times after declining to use an apothecary, also using Ubuntu, although the problem hasn't occurred recently. Perhaps the upgrade to 8.10 did the trick?

In addition I could never get the menu working for conceding matches, syncing etc. However I am already using the sun version of java, so I am not sure if that is the solution for me, at least for the menu problem.

At least I don't feel so lonely with my strange problems anymore!
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The menu does open on alt+m, but unfortunately only in standalone matches it seems. So that is not very helpful.
But you can still sync by typing /sync in the chat line.
I don't know about concessions, i never do that. Alt+q might or might not work for it. Maybe you could even try to type something into the chat line akin to that /sync command.
 Jump to: