46 coaches online • Server time: 13:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Secret League zombie...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well the year is drawing to a close, the nights are drawing in, the SAD sufferers in Finland have begun killing themselves, Santa is in every shop window, children under 5 are being extra good to stay off the naughty list, children over 5 are drawing up present lists that would shame major childrens charities and the magazines and fasion shows are full of swimsuits.

Yes. It's winter. 2008 is down to the salty dregs and 2009 nearly upon us.

Time someone sorted out what sort of R Tournaments we will be having next year. That someone is me. (gulp)

So....

This is NOT a democracy and while i will feel in NO WAY AT ALL bound by anything anyone (including me) writes here, I am interested in what people thought about the R tournament scene in 2008.

So feel free to post your thoughts, feedback, ideas, loves, hates, general abuse, wishes, fears and random musings in this very thread. Feel free to dissagree, debate, persuade, beseech, implore, cajole, incite, prevail upon, influence, inveigle, threaten and attack.

just don't for a second think it will definately mean that anything from this thread will happen. It might, it might not. But it certainly will not if you dont take the time to think things through, consider the ramifications of any ideas you have and confine your grand visions to the world of the possible. It also certainly wont happen if you dont express your ideas here at all. So go on, you know you want to.

NOTHING is ruled out here, but there are certain areas that i can tell you now are unproductive, either as Christer has expressly forbidden them, or because i have:
There will be no TR capped majors.
There will be no Majors/Minors where stars and wizards are not allowed.
There will be no official Tournaments of any kind that forbid any race, skill or play style.

There are also some areas that i am actively looking into (though change in other areas is also possible) and you may be interested in that list too, so here it is:
Is 5 majors the right number? should we go back to 4?
Have the majors got enough of a unique feel to each of them? If not what feel should they have?
Was the Tour worthwhile? Should we do it again? How do we make it MORE fun and less dominated by certain races and stars?
Just what is the point of the Minors? Are they different enough from the Tour?
SFC's, is there any need/market for them at all outside of birthday abuse?
The prizes for majors, are they TOO good?
Why will some people always apply with 4 teams, all over 200TR to a TR150 Minor/Tour?
Why does Pigstar69 win so many things and how do we stop him?

So. What did you like/hate this year?
What do i NEED to hear/consider before i impose a 2009 schedule you all hate and despise me for?

PurpleChest pulls on a hard hat and takes cover

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion he tour and the minors are just too similar.

I would prefer the tour to have the TR cap set for every round not just for the tournemant start so you have to trim your team. That way it won't be swarmed by buffed up teams.

The temple guard and the FC prizes seem a bit too mch to me.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate you and everything you stand for! You are always wrong and a right bastard!

There... Abuse taken care of Smile

On a more serious note:

Awesome work this year!
I have a few griefs/comments... SFC's... Bleh. Get rid of them. Especially now that we have B. Or at least disable them on B-day. Still, I'll argue that they should stay if people care alot. I do not.

FC... Sort of died with the introduction of B.... That was less fun then last year, but who knew that B would be the best thing since fermented grapes?

On the prices of majors, It would be fun if they where unique and different each year. This obv means more work for whomever designs them. I do not see them as overpowered, rather some teams are so very uber. A major winner should be quite broken and not pose a problem in this respect.

Regards,
Enar
Borgen

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

On the topic of majors:

4 majors is plenty, 5 means there is always one running which leads to over-saturation.

Opening a major to blackbox teams might be interesting.

Having different ways of qualifying to majors would be a good thing as well - one major can admit the longest-lived teams, one major can admit the teams with best winning %, one major can admit teams with highest TR, one major can admit teams coached by highest CR coaches, etc.

Bringing back quick-start qualification to majors might also be interesting as well.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Scrap the GLT!

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

quick starts were normally teh cherrypickers way to get into majors (who me?)...

I agree tour + minor are too similar.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

i would love to see the idea where there are 2 "golden tickets" into each major
14 of the 16 places are up for grabs in qualifiers as per usual
2 of the 16 places are reserved for the winner of the previous years FUMBBL Cup, and the previous winner of the respective major (The winner of the WO 08' is guarrenteed to make the final of 09')
it would give the FUMBBL cup an even bigger prize, as the winner is given a "Passport" into the whole of next years majors, where they can prove that the team isnt just a 8 game wonder, and it would also guarrentee that last years champion is free to come back and slug it out to defend his title without needing the formalities of the qualifiers, after all, champions dont need such trivia Very Happy

as such, if people want it so much, you could possibly nerf the FUMBBL cup's prize(s), as this one would be a 4 stamp passport to all the other majors, thats a fair prize in its own right

of course, if the team died mid year, or if the same coach owns both tickets, then you could open the 15th or even both to the qualifiers as usual

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a TR Capped Major?

Sorry, but just couldn't resist it Twisted Evil

Minors were great!

Scheduled Smacks look great but I haven't been able to fit one in yet.

TR150 doesn't really suit me for the tour. Maybe you could just take the top 6 Minors finishes and have more Minors.

What would be really cool would be a capped Major. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok here are some of my thoughts (I will surely have forgotten a lot):
- Majors: 4 is just enough with all the Cups around. One for every quarter of the year with the highlight of the FC at then end of the year. LC should be deleted. GLT has the worst price it should be something better and funnier. Prices for majors that give you a powerfull player should just stay untill the next years major cup.
Minors&Tour: I like Candlejacks idea here, do the tour with all TR Caps but still give the points to the coaches. Should be a real tour then and not a "Count"-Cup. Also I would prefer more brackets then like 201-225 and 226-250. Tour points should be shown regulary too not just at the end of the year.
- SFCs are great and SHOULD be there and used more often by all those lazy coaches!!!!!
- Piggy wins that much because I told him how to do it
Cheers, Melmoth
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

May I say I especially liked the XFL!

Many compliments to the staff!

I recommend you don't change a single thing about that great format. Cool

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

f0rd wrote:
Scrap the GLT!

No, it's cool with the random cheaters. But the prize could be sexier. Perhaps a random cheater as a prize?
Pirog

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I would still really want to see a tournament like the XFL, but instead of one race competing it will be hosted by a different race each month (or whenever it is time to play it) and where the price for winning would be a unskilled rookie lineman from the hosting race.

I would also like a TR cap on this tournament (it's not a Major...) of perhaps 175 to get a lot of participation and to allow everyone to have fun and not only the über elite and the 24/7 cherry pickers.

I think such a tournament would be very popular, very fun and also give room to some more diverse and interesting rosters.

Well, that's my thought Smile
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

WEll I still have a lot of hate in my heart because of that SI-N you put on Krikack. That injury will be revenged!!!!

My only thought on the majors is this.
5 Majors is nice BUT we need to switch one of them up. The UI is the only "unique" major by dividing the teams into bashers and ballers. The other 4 are standard KO tourneys. Here is the idea. My one complaint on majors is since Iam a north American player playing in minors and majors makes it very difficult for me to play. Can I work it out, sure but the time zone issues makes it so Iam playing the majority of my games at 4AM my time. I think the reason a lot of North American and Aussy players do not play in majors is because of the time zone issue. SO here is the idea.

Take one of the majors, your choice, and divide the toruney into 8 16team tourneys (128 total teams) 4 of the brackets are made up of Euro players. 2 Bracket from North America and 2 bracket from Aussie land. The Top 8 teams make the finals Tourney and in a perfect world all get together one weekend and play the wholle thing out over 2 days. I realize the time zone issue is still a problem so the final 8 would probally still take weeks to play as most of the Major games are played on weekends.

I think this would increase the popularity of that major because now time zone issues for the qualifiers would be eliminated and thus get more coaches interested in playing in it.

The prizes are just fine by me.

The Tour and Minors are fine, but the TR cap issue is an issue in my book due to the fact it favors certain teams over others.
But once again the Tour and Minors are primarilly a Euro tournament anyway. I have been in 2 "tours" and both of them at the start only had 4-6 North American coaches playing. When I played in it, and I have not played in all.

In summary change up one of the Tournaments to my idea so we can get more coaches from the three main areas that fumbbl is popular. Obviously the criteria to get in would not change just the location of the coach, which obviously makes it little harder to get the thing up and running but Iam sure there are ways to get around that IF you decide that is a good idea.

EDITED: to follow up on what I said earlier. The BIGGEST issue on majors is participation. Sure coaches bitch about balance and this and that BUT last years FC had 500+ teams. WHY? because a lot of coaches for their own reasons put all that BS behind them and took part in the FC to have FUN! If we did my idea for nexts year FC (or any other, it does not matter) and eliminate the #1 reason people from North America and Australia do not play them. Well we could probally get 512 teams tourney again if everyone in the qualifiers could play their game at a reasonable time for them during that period. Obviously the "main draw" will have the same timezone problems, but the winners would know that going in and should not be a problem.

Going all out here with this one. I think ALL the majors should be done in this fashion because it increases particpation by ALL coaches from fumbbl not just the "hard core" NA and AUS players. BUT I stick by my original thought to make it just one of the tournaments but would support ALL of them being done in this fashion.

Last edited by PainState on %b %20, %2008 - %22:%Nov; edited 2 times in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal opinions;

1. Merge Tour and Minors into the Tour. Reduce to 6-8 per year, have a yearly Tour winner with points for winning an event, coming runner-up and reaching the last 4 or last 8. Each event has it's own seperate background / fluff such that a different race or set of races scores double points that event. Such as 'Regen Roundup' where Undead, Necro, Khemri score double points. 'Lustrian Lespite' where Zons, Lizzies, Humans double up. Variable TR cap. This makes the events distinctive and not just a Count race, coaches will have to work out if they want to run a powerrace or take Pro Elves that time becuase of double points. Someone with better creativity can fix it up if it gets taken on. Very Happy

2. Majors. Boy... I didn't like them before, and they're about as relevant as international Football friendlies now. Even the FC has dropped off the radar.

I don't mind there being 5, but if you're going to have 5, they need to be more varied than they are currently. 4 identikit tournaments and a big KO doesn't really cut the interest mustard. Different qualification methods are a start.

3. Insert normal teams that enter Majors stuff here. Can anything be done? Is it too much work? Etc, the usual.

4. Bye-bye, SFC's.
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Just what is the point of the Minors? Are they different enough from the Tour?

Personally I loved the Tour/minors. Although I did not see the point of running both the Tour and minors TR150. Maybe there should be one tour with different TR caps? Anyhow hopefully it will continue coz t'was great fun. And the only solution to the dominatioon by some races is to limit the applied races, but that won't happen I guess.

Jump to: