85 coaches online • Server time: 22:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 04:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,
Looking to get some advice and help from some of the folks that are familiar with running Leagues, please?

I am looking to set up a league where the top team gets to basically be titled as the 'Champion'

I was thinking that I could use the Swiss format since it automatically stack ranks each team and even keeps track of wins, losses, ties, TD's and CAS.

I was also thinking of running a subgroup where new teams or teams that need a recovery period coul play in an Open Round Robin to get into shape to compete with the rest of the main group (Swiss Tourney).

The main question I have is if a team can be inserted and removed from a running swiss tourney?

Eg. A team from the Open Round Robin being added to the existing Swiss Tourney.

I look forward to your help and guidance.

Thanks in advance,
PPM
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

it should be possible

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

i guess another good question is if there is already a league that is already using this idea?
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll elaborate some of the thoughts I had which brought me to wanting to try out this league...

The cool thing about leagues is that it is a semi competitive enviroment that allows people to meet others and develope a team with some cool fluff and history.

One of the things that I have found common in most leagues is that integrating new teams into an established league is sometimes tricky and more often than not, if the team starts off with a dicing their first game, ruins the rest of the 'season' for them and kind of reduces their desire to continue in the league...

This is the reason why I was thinking of having an Open Round Robin for new teams that join the league to get some games in to develope their team somewhat but more importantly, to be a suitable place to jump down into to get a recovery game if absolutely needed.

This is where my knowledge of the Swiss Style is limited...
If I wanted to step away from the concept of Seasons and gear it more towards an ongoing format where the Winner/Champion/King...or whatever the top spot is isnt crowned after a set schedule or season but needs to stay or top or fight their way back on top week in and week out.

There would obviously be some form of tracking to show who has help the title the longest or for how many times but that part of the fluff is simple to work into it once i get a better understanding of the flexibility that i can do with the two groups in the league, the Main Group (Swiss Style) and the New/Recovery Group( Open Round Robin)
johnalex

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

You could do it as a "ladder."

Main page posting of players like this:

1-*)Johnalex
2-C[10/24])propuppetmaster
3)third_dude
4)lastexample

each person would be able to challenge up to so many ranks on the ladder above their own... say 3. If you won your challege you would go up one rung of the ladder and the person you challenged would fall to where you were. etc. etc. If you failed your challenge you'd fall one space and the guy below you would rise up AND you'd lose the right to challenge until either A) you got challenged or B) (to help those out at the bottom of the ladder) after a predetermined amount of time... say a week.

Above the notations are as follows: * = champ and C[date] is someone who has lost challenging privileges until [date].

New entrants would obviously be welcome at any time... at the bottom of the ladder of course.

All challenges would of course be mandatory to accept so long as they were within the given conditions.

The initial 10+ that it would take to make a league of this nature interesting would need to be arranged randomly. (I suggest random.org using pre-released configurations based on the features using a preset data group for a certain day... but just make it a future date and wait until then to reveal the order.)

After so long (to make things fair) the game could evolve to regular seasons which would still encourage new teams at any time. Say in three months, which team -defended- the most games while still the king of the hill.

*Naturally I would be highly interested in a league like this.*
Please comment, haha... no intention of thread hijacking, I just think this is perhaps what you are after.
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 08, 2012 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

i think loners solved big part of the "getting beaten the first game" issue, as well as i has removed the desperate need for recovery games. Regarding your format, the problem I see is you'd like to have an everlasting swiss where the teams have to work their way to the top. Well, swiss formats are usually short (5 or 6 games) and if it goes longer the top teams will just play easier games every round as they complete their games vs other top teams. It also means that a newcomer that enters with the league advanced will face the leader directly.