22 coaches online • Server time: 09:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Muusu

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

Does anyone keep beat up Blackbox teams (ts<100) and try to recover?

I have already retired two teams that got beat up in their first games in Blackbox and now have another that managed to win but has fallen to 99/80.

Is it worth keeping? Does anyone try to recover? Are there enough recovering teams for me to get a match? Should I retire them and make a new team yet again?

Thanks

Edited for clarity

Last edited by Muusu on %b %11, %2010 - %21:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 19:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My [B] chaos dwarves, Happy Bunny, started with an amazingly bad First Match. They recovered just fine.
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Recovery is allways possible even if you have 0 players.

The real question is do you have the time and desire to attempt to rebuild?

Bottom line for me is if your team gets blown up in its first game and you dont want to attempt to rebuild, then slag and start over.

Also that is not really rebuilding if a starter team gets beat up in the first game.

True rebuilding is if you have a team you really like that gets so bent out of shape you are forced to retire/gut your team and faced with the fact that it will take you around 20 games with some love from Nuffle to get the ship righted. Now that is true rebuilding.

No first game can go so bad that you could not get back to base line in under 2-3 games. the one assumption is of course you did not front load the team and give it a 1 ff and you are playing a elf team.

Last edited by PainState on %b %11, %2010 - %20:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
maysrill

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Good reasons to retire a team:
-they are beat to heck and you don't care about them yet
-you made a fundamental flaw in their startup (i.e. my first try with vamps, when I took 6 vamps and 1 reroll to start)
-you don't enjoy playing the team and/or race anymore

Bad reasons to retire a team:
-they lost badly in their last match
-your favorite player aged/died
-they are very beaten up and will take work to fix, but you still like them

For me, it usually takes more than a bad starting game to retire a team. My noob Blackbox CDs took a RIP and a niggle in their first match (ogres +24 TS), but I kept em around.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
lemf

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

As Pain says do you want to spend time on keeping a team. I have only binned 1 team and continually struggle with rebuilding.
But that is the way I personally want to develop and play my teams.
THEmaverick

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

My current dwarf team (yeah i know you all hate dwarves) in Ranked lost a troll slayer and had a blitzer lose ST in game 3 and then had a runner die in game 5, now played game 17 and they are a realy strong team which no-one likes to play. It can be done!

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

it i posible and easier than to get a new team name and player names (in my humble opinion). my darkies recovered from very few players in the box (they are still recovering, but it works)
Lomack

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=development&team_id=471934

< look at the bit where I go sub 95 TR/TS

Wink
Muusu

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I should have worded my question better. What I am wondering is if a lot of people in Blackbox play/keep sub 100 TS teams?

ie. will this team ever get to play again seeing as how someone else would have to have a sub 100TS team or one with a considerably higher TR than I. Or will it take forever to be lucky enough to get a match?

As I understand the matching criteria with my team being 99/80, I would need an opponent with similar, or a TR/TS of 111/100 to even qualify.

Basically just wondering if I will ever get a match with a 99/80 team or if I just need to start another.

Thanks to those that have replied, I know that team recovery can be a long and painful, and sometimes futile effort.

Edited for clarity, as well as initial post.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Muusu wrote:
I guess I should have worded my question better. What I am wondering is if a lot of people in Blackbox play/keep sub 100 TS teams?

ie. will this team ever get to play again seeing as how someone else would have to have a sub 100TS team or one with a considerably higher TR than I. Or will it take forever to be lucky enough to get a match?

As I understand the matching criteria with my team being 99/80, I would need an opponent with similar, or a TR/TS of 111/100 to even qualify.

Basically just wondering if I will ever get a match with a 99/80 team or if I just need to start another.

Thanks to those that have replied, I know that team recovery can be a long and painful, and sometimes futile effort.

Edited for clarity, as well as initial post.

Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. You'll likely end up matched against a rookie team with low TS (like vamps, ogres, gobbos) or a new team with 1 game played and no skills, and are like 112/95. You also have the possibility of finding another team in a similar situation to yours.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2010 - 21:47
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed on the difficulties you may face finding the second match. Don't lose hope, here' s what happed to my chaos dwarves for match two (remember 2 RIPs and 2 niggles in match one)

Match Two

Rookie flings and gobbos are great for providing this sort of recovery match.
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2010 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

My dark elves spent games 2 to 4 at TS 80. It wasn't hard to get a game, although that was just when Blackbox had started. I can't say those games were particularly fun. Playing under-strength with no skills against ogres is far from my idea of a good time. But it didn't last too long and there is something satisfying about doing it.
Nantti

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2010 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Rebuilding is always possible so if you think you will have fun rebuilding, rebuild. If you don't, don't.
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2010 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Recovery is always possible i have recovered teams from 5 players before(not in {b}). The box makes the process longer and more difficult. DO you love the team enough to want to try. I also have to say i think my recovery of my team made me a better player tactically and mentally. Helping me develop a never give up attitude and a realisation that there is fun in a game you lose against fun opponents and that you make it so for your opponent also.

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2010 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Recovery is allways possible even if you have 0 players.

Not true in B, if your TS goes below 50, you're gonna have real trouble Smile

Playing rats, recovery is part of the theme Very Happy
 Jump to: