61 coaches online • Server time: 21:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I seem to be having some trouble getting the new Beta Client to launch on my machine. When I try to load it, it comes up with the following error:

-------------------------------------------------------

OS Version:

Mac OS 10.4.11

Java -version:

java version "1.5.0_19"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

Java Web Start error message:

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: FantasyFootballClient
Vendor: www.balancedbytes.com
Category: Unexpected Error

Unexpected exception: java.lang.Exception

-------------------------------------------------------

I think the problem may be that I am using java version 1.5, rather than the newer 1.6. SirOrange mentioned in the IRC that he had the same problem and it went away after he upgraded his java. Garion also reported having a similar problem.

The problem for me is that I am using a PowerPC mac with Mac OS 10.4, which, as far as I know, can't run java 1.6 (I've looked into this before). So, to get java 1.6 I'd have to upgrade my OS. Admittedly, that's not a big deal ... except that I don't wanna play the new client in 4 days time when I get a new OS on Ebay ... I wanna play it noooow ..... :,(

A similar thing happened before with the Alpha client, which I raised in this thread here. That time all it seemed to take was a very small tweak in the java launch file and it worked fine after that. If any such minor fix could possibly be found to get round this new bug, I'd be most grateful.

Otherwise I'll just have to be patient and wait until my new OS arrives ...

Thanks in advance ... Jelly Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I also had this problem it was fixed by installing Java 6.

I checked firefox to see if Java was enabled for web start and it was already so I'm not sure why it didn't work with Java 5 but installing Java 6 fixed it Smile

This was the error -

Unable to launch FantasyFootballClient

when you click on details it says the following -
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: FantasyFootballClient
Vendor: www.balancedbytes.com
Category: Unexpected Error

Unexpected exception: java.lang.Exception

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Just thought I'd add that on Kalimar's Beta test release notes it does say that the FFB client should work with Java 1.5, and that actually 1.5 is recommended for Mac, as it's more stable:

Kalimar wrote:
You need Java 5 (1.5) or 6 (1.6) installed on your machine, with Java Web Start integrated in your browser (this is usually automatic upon installation of Java). For Windows and Linux users the latest version (currently 1.6.0_18) is best. For Mac users the Java 1.5 release is more stable.

Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Please try whatever works. I have no Mac myself so I am relaying second hand information here. If you guys come up with a configuration that works best I'll put it right into the Release Notes. Perhaps Java 1.6 is better now on the Mac as well (the info I got on that is from last year)?
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, although I should probably point out that Garion wasn't using a Mac - he was using a PC with Win XP and he had the exact same error message. So it seems that the problem isn't Mac-specific, but maybe a more general problem with Java 1.5?

It may well be that Java 1.6 has been improved on Macs now, so I'll certainly look into it and report back.

Thanks for the awesome job you're doing on the new client Kalimar - I can't wait to have a go! Very Happy

Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi JellyBelly. I just checked - it's my fault I think. The new build file doesn't generate the code for Java 1.5 (as it had before). Will change that, rebuild, reupload and put a note in here when it's ready for retesting, ok?
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Please try it again now and tell me if it works (it should load the client anew).
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! Thanks very much Kalimar, and sorry to trouble you with silly backwards-compatibility issues for us poor Mac users.

As soon as you've re-built it I'll try it straight away and let you know the outcome. Once I get it working I'll certainly be keen to start playing and helping out with the Beta-testing. SmileSmileSmile

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, that seems to be working now - it re-loaded the client and came up with the main screen asking for my pword and to pick a game name, etc. Very Happy

Oooooh ... I wanna play it now, but I've got to go to work ... Sad I'll certainly be trying it out this evening though.

Thanks again Kalimar!

SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a PPC Mac too. Thanks alot Kalimar!

BTW PPC Mac users can install a Yellow Dog Linux onto their computer. IBM announced a JRE6 PPC developement version which could be used on linux.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

So I mark this as fixed in Version 0.4.1 (the current one).
 Jump to: