54 coaches online • Server time: 18:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post What To Do In My Tur...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
CRP/lrb6 wodies need the Tree?
Tree for the winner, prevent global warming and has av10
62%
 62%  [ 37 ]
No Tree and get a laught at all them Claws
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Apple Tree for the pie
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 59

nin

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this doubt came to me in much the same way that I have doubts with the Rogre.
Rogre is expensive, unreliable and frail for such a player in my opinion.
Now, Tree is tough and cheaper, seemingly perfect to save money at the LOS... but there are teams with strong Clawed players out there.
(Chaos, Norse, Underworld and posibly Nurgle, Pact and Chaos Dwarves)

My point is, playing against such teams it makes little sense to put a Tree on the LOS so... what do you do with a ma2 player then?
(Those teams have strenght to take the Tree down and Claw players won't be chasing av7 elves)

(I plan on playing BBox and/or Tournaments, so not playing such teams is not an option)
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't start with a tree because I prefer to start with wardancers. But they are uselfull because they attract fouls which is always good when you have players like wardancers on the field. So I would deffo buy one at some point.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

nin you do make a good point. with the new claw rule the tree's job of being well, a tree is much negated. iit only takes one claw player to go after it to push it into the AV7 woodchipper. is the st6 enough to stop that?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

bxnyc wrote:
nin you do make a good point. with the new claw rule the tree's job of being well, a tree is much negated. iit only takes one claw player to go after it to push it into the AV7 woodchipper. is the st6 enough to stop that?

The teams that pack a claw won't be too deterred by the ST6, especially since the claw is useless against the rest of the team (barring +AV upgrades). Chaos, CDs, Pact, etc. all have easy Guard access and natural high-ST players.

That said, whoever said you had to line up the same against every opponent. Maybe the tree rides the bench against the 4-claw chaos team and gets back to LOS duty next game against dorfs.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 16:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

take the tree every hit they use is one less on the players u dont want them hitting.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

He's still ST6. They still have to knock him over for claw to take effect. Every assist he ties up to help the claw player do this is one less player covering the rest of your team. With Wood Elves, this is A Very Good Thing (TM) as it allows you to get the little red thing over the white thing on the grass. If your tree isn't injured by the end of the game, he hasn't done his job properly, as there's more hits he could have taken! Very Happy
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for those answers and oppinions.

I see the point on it gets hits that would otherwise land on elves, that's why I use them in lrb4 woodies.

Thing is it's 120k and has little use outside LOS duty, so it looks like an expensive bench rider.

I don't really care my elves diying, I'd sacrifice all of them just trying to win, the Tree is about team management and in game it just ties some players wich is handy but not neccesarily a match winner and if it's not going to help in some matches... still with doubts.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2010 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

From a TV managment stand point you are right about the tree. He cost 50,000 more than a regular joe lino. So that regualr joe could get 2 skills or a skill and double skill at the same cost. So in the TV managment world the Lino with 2 skills is far superior to a tree who just stands there and gets smacked around. The case for a tree is if you are planning on actually using him, like throwing blocks, blitzes and trying to get him up and running on the attack. Most Woodies never really seem to "use" there tree and it just wanders around throwing up its guard skill now and then and then takes root and just stands there, ignored, alone and becomes a bird feeder until the score.

SO if you dont mind losing players then dump the Tree and use Lino for their main job, take their lumps on the LOS and get more skills for the bucks you save.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

There are also plenty of teams that dont have claw. And if you are using your woodies in a blackbox environment against those teams - like humans, goblins or dwarves - the tree can be worth its weight in gold.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Defo have one:

1) LOS against none claw teams.

2) Offensive LOS for 3DB with MB (& Guard), usually Woodies don't have much MB (or guard), partially good for turn 8 kick offs. Potentially he could be pretty helpful for OTS's too.

3) Against claw teams leave him off the LOS, after the initial receiving kick of advantage it will be tough to get a 2DB on him. If they do manage it, it will have probably been a waste of there resources. Most claw teams (I'd say all except skaven) would like to bash straight down the center, so he will be a nuisance.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the tree was much better in lrb4 as he was cheaper and mb was important to get the FF up. Also standfirm does not allow free dodges anymore so dodging into the cage for an assist is not so easy anymore.
I dont know if he is good enough for its TV in lrb6 because I dont have enough experience. Str6 is still hard to knock over without big guys. Low agility teams cannot ignore the tree so they have to put the assists to knock him over. That ties up some players which is always good. And that guard is very much needed. I am really undecided till know, but will try at least one woodelf team without a tree.
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Any team that is focussing on your tree is not targetting the rest of your team as much as they could. That is a good thing.

Oscar Wilde
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I think this is a good example of someone over-thinking the change in rule set.

In LRB4, the Tree was a roadblock that was removable if you dedicated enough resource and the correct skills to it, but the Woodies would prefer you to go at it than other, more important things. This isn’t different in LRB6, the mechanism is just slightly different.

In the majority of situations in a progression team, you’re better off having one on the roster than not. The game is no different, the Tree does the same job, it’s reasonably hardy and any block on him leaves a WD free somewhere else. Smile
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for the tree... but only because of the environment
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2010 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Personally, I think this is a good example of someone over-thinking the change in rule set.
Smile

I definitely over-think about the rules in general, not just the changes .
My rats don't have Rogres either 4th or latter and I was thinking if noTree could work for woodies too (in lrb4 it's allways usefull, now I have doubts due to the rock/paper/scissor very fabled thing). I just enjoy getting my teams thin if posible (being myshelf an undersiced gobbo).

Probably will make some experiments with my woodies to see if it fits/doesn't fit.

And thanks a lot for the oppinions.
 Jump to: