35 coaches online • Server time: 11:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Emberglow

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The client doesn't allow to use leap skill if you only have left one movement point (or none). Is this caused by some difficulties in programming or is that the way it should be officially? I've always thought you could roll for GFI before making the leap.

And what is the reason for fouling to use up a movement point? I cannot believe this would be difficult to fix, since actions like hand off don't use movement and they work just fine. I'm no programmer though, so I might be wrong. Actually, i'm often wrong, at least according to my wife.

Thanks
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Just assumptions here but fouling probably uses the Blitz code rather than the hand-off code. Makes more sense to me, tbh.

Regarding the Leap and GFI thing (if this is in reference to that other thread) I don't really think it's a balance issue at all, since it's probably prevented as many turnovers (by keeping us all from failing GFIs) as it would have caused (by allowing people the extra mobility, however small).

I personally don't think it'd be worth potentially breaking the existing code for such trivial fixes but each to his or her own.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap takes up two squares of movement to leap, so if you only had one GFI left you couldn't leap since you don't have enough movement.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I think that is the reason Goallie11...

To code in whether you were using your 1st GFI rather than your 2nd GFI (or even 3rd GFI if you had sprint) sounds way too hard... I am sure a GFI is coded as one thing and to seperate it into "1st GFI" and "2nd GFI" and "3rd GFI" would probably stuff everything else up.

Besides, its more realistic... if you have to really stretch to get that extra yard, are you really also going to be able to leap over that Troll??
Jugular

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm from my knowledge of Java it would seem pretty simple to implement. The more I read about these differences and think about the possible structure of the client the more I want to take a look and see if I can make some suggestions for improvement. I supose ill have to install my Java tools again. Of course without prior knowledge of the structure of the client I could be completely wrong and I'm sure SkiJunkie has explored most avenues thoroughly.
Hope this aint taken the wrong way Very Happy Your a living legend SkiJunkie, cheers for your work on the client.
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of the difference from the board game come out of my lack of planning. Originally I never though I would ever get a working game. I really just started writing the field control to see how the 2d graphics work in java. Then I would think, i'll put players on it. Then, hey, lets make them move. And so on an so forth. I never really sat down and though how will all this work together. So each feature just sorta got tacked on, with no though to future features. Eventaully I got to the point where you could move, block, pass, foul, blitz, and handoff (with no skills). At this point is where I decided I wanted to learn how to make a server / client. So first I had to make the playable game part so I could network it. So yes, there are lots of hacks in the code. And these hacks cause certain things to be really hard to change to work properly. Thus, the differences. Anyone that has ever written a program, knows they could write it better the 2nd time. But who ever has the time... Very Happy And to be honest, if I had sat down and planned it out first I would have seen how much work was involved and I would never have started. At my last count there was about 50+ thousand lines of code. Some of it quite touchy, where every time I mess with it a tiny bit all kinds of things break in completely unrelated game areas to what I was trying to change. These are usually the areas that end up in the differences faq.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It's funny... if a mule had kicked ski-junkie in the head as a kid....

I'd be on battle-net right now

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Off topic: Ski, I understand exactly what you're saying and being a total non-programmer, I am in awe of the amount of code that has gone into this great client setup... But can I ask why you never play? I notic on your profile you have only ever had one team and never played a match? Your creation, but you don't use it... at least not on fumbbl...

Want a game sometime??
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

like mr. klipp said...i am around sometimes and i have been playing on fumbbl when i get enough free time. i use a different name so i can just relax and play and chat normally with whomever. So, who knows...maybe we have already had a game. Smile it is just easier to play and enjoy the game annonymously.

McSwan

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I bet he's really bunnypuncher, head of the emu.. ?
kjwise

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

So it's not possible to add an if statement when using leap skill that checks if go for it has not been used, and if true then prompt to go for it twice, if go for it fails, drop in current square, else test for leap?
Emberglow

Post 7 Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

That's what I thought, it was all because of difficulties in programming. I really am not trying to whine about insignificant details, i just wanted to pointout an excisting deviation from boardgame rules.

This leap bit would've been irrelevant had i not tried to blitz a ball carrier with my wardancer and noticed before take off that i couldn't make the leap...

It's alright with me if you think it's too much trouble (or a potential hazard even, considering the complexity of the code) over small changes. Judging from the frequent patches you are constantly striving to get things work more smoothly so i just wanted to do my bit. Since i'm totally clueless as to what comes to programming, there's nothing else i can do to help you guys out.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

McSwan wrote:
I bet he's really bunnypuncher, head of the emu.. ?

Nice try McSwan Smile

But i only passed year 1 comp. sci at university by having geeks do my homework Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

So it's not possible to add an if statement when using leap skill that checks if go for it has not been used, and if true then prompt to go for it twice, if go for it fails, drop in current square, else test for leap?

No it isn't. Like I said, I wrote the field first. The field does not know the rules. The field just knows how to display stuff and when you click on it it fires events to the game engine. So, no. It won't be solved by a simple if statement. And the situation is also not as simple as you state. Another problem comes when you have 1 regular move left. Then you would be using one regular movement and one gfi. Well GFI is a whole seperate mode. So the game would have to switch modes right in the middle of a move, which it isn't set up to do.

Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2004 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Meanwhile, BRAVO Ski!!!! You've brought back Bloodbowl to me and probably hundreds of others who don't have a place to go and play. Thanks Man!!!!!. So what my leaper cant GFI to crowd some Mighty Blowing, RSCed Choas Warrior. I'll get 'em next time. Smile
 Jump to: