64 coaches online • Server time: 23:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday, less than 20 games was played all day in Black Box.

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=games

In fact the popularity of Black Box is dropping for some time. Meanwhile, Ranked, F and League are all becoming more popular. I know there are some fanatical coaches who are against adding a scheduler to Ranked. These same coaches say that Black Box is perfect and argue against just about any changes to FUMBBL that might affect BlackBox. But I suggest that something is wrong with Box, and it is not as popular as the fanatics would like to pretend it is...

So what to do? Let Black Box die a natural death? Change the scheduler times again? Let Black Box move to FFC? Will it all turn around by itself?

Oscar Wilde
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps it was so popular for a while because it was new, fresh, and exciting (not having to wait 30 minutes to find someone to accept your challenge.) But now that enough people have played it regularly, they want to choose their own matches again, don't want to face a heavy dose of bashy teams, etc.

In time these things usually work themselves out.

Don't drop the soap.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

This should get funny.

/me grabs some popcorn

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I, for one, am not playing much at all (except L) as (a) the weather is so nice and (b) as I can't be bothered building up my teams only to have them reset come FFB time. This might not happen, but it also might, so my lnewer (ie: B teams) lie idle.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
This should get funny.

/me grabs some popcorn

<3 you clog
Ulrik

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason for rankeds popularity could be the majors and preperation games for that..

If so that and the new ffb are probably taking something away from box atm.

Atleast I know this is the case for me. Not that ive been overly active in box, but it has kept my box games close to zero for some time now..

Atleast the overall number of games seems to have a positive tendency again Smile

Hoping ranked and box will be merged in the ffb client, so you have both options in the competitive devision with the majors.
Twonky

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I started playing ranked again as ironically I found it easier to get games there than the box
maysrill

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

B offers:
-fair (or fair-ish) matches
-once every 15 minutes
-coaches permitting
-randomly assigned (at least from the perspective of the coach)

R offers:
-fair matches if you can find them
-on demand
-if there's at least one other coach on
-manually
-of your choice

So aside from being on vacation and not playing at all much lately, I either A) find a game myself with whoever is on in R, or B) hope there are enough coaches for B to process. I choose option A any time it's available, since I actually like most of my Ranked teams, and enjoy playing them. The B teams are just to play whatever BB I can find; the teams themselves are mostly interchangeable and disposable.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

To me it seems like many [B] players are currently playing [F]. At least [B] drops almost at the same rate as [F] rises.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Yawn, didn't we discus this in the many other threads about the declining games on fumbbl?
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I killed Black Box
benjysmyth

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

You know one thing I really would like to die?

The "Death of Ranked/Black Box" threads currently appearing ad nauseum.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

What we really need, is a testing division for FFB in Blackbox.

I think you will find that alot of Blackbox players are playing the new FFB Client.

It would be interesting to see how many would play Blackbox in an FFB enviroment.

The reality is probably more 'Death of Blackbox in LRB 4', as I think it will only get stronger in FFB.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
What we really need, is a testing division for FFB in Blackbox.

I think this would be great! The FFB is pretty much ready for the prime time anyway (even with remaining bugs, it is more advanced than SkiJunkies never finished client). Of course, this would simply be creating the default replacement for the existing Black Box division, and would possibly almost completely kill existing LRB4 Black Box play...

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

benjysmyth wrote:
You know one thing I really would like to die?

The "Death of Ranked/Black Box" threads currently appearing ad nauseum.

Then don't join the discussion! These threads are discussed by people that are passionate about improving FUMBBL and don't want to stick our heads in the sand if we see a problem, but instead prefer to discuss what to do about them.

I mean heaven forbid, we might actually talk about something on the forum here, it has been so peaceful lately what a shame to try and change that.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: