45 coaches online • Server time: 18:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post One turn score list
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Halflings are quite a non-competitive race, so i dont expect to see them often in [B], but i still wanted to try them.

But the matchup selection from Bowlbot makes it quite troublesome, while on LRB6 flings are heavily relying on the inducement system. While for most races inducements are intended to partially fill the gap between different TV, for flings they're a must and a main part of their tactics (if they have any).

In my opinion flings are fun with 300-400k inducements, but they'll never get such TV diff in [B].

Should the matchup system make an exeption for those little guys!? Or is it seen like a corruption of the blackbox?

I'd like to have a fling opponent selection range from same tv to 1.5*fling tv (so a 1000TV fling team has opponents from 1000 to 1500tv) to give them a chance to enjoy [B], or even from +100k to *1.5tv, giving them always something to buy (at least the chef).

Hoping someone will agree,

Tarabaralla

PS: Sorry for my bad english!
Chewie

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So what you are saying is "I don't like LRB6 in B, 'cos i can't surprise folk with shedloads of chefs and deeproot"?
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ofcourse flings are a bit nerfed in the Box, but still quite compettive at low TV. My flings enjoy the challenge.
Before it was far to easy to beat rookie Box teams with 2 chefs..
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

At base TV (frankly, the only area I suspect 'Flings to play in, well, 90% of it anyway, once they break free, they'll come back) I think 'Flings or Gobbos with a few games under their belts will be a decent match for most 1-3 game teams they face.

I do understand the Inducement point, but I just don't see an issue with Stunties in even TV matches. I'd suspect they'd win, what, a third of games in the hands of a good coach? Seems about right to me. If we start flinging (pardon the pun) Inducements at them, I suspect, in the hands of a good coach, that figure to rise significantly, past the point we want to see it at.

I understand the Stunties were built with Inducements in mind, but it's an environmental thing; in this environment, not for me.

Plus, who's going to give Stunties all that Inducement cash in the new [R], come to think about it? Perhaps only in closed leagues will Stunties get what they're wanting.

Edit: Now you're in the forum, Tara, I'd like to point out in another format that I still think your Vampire build is totally, utterly insane. Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Flings really are now only for league play. So when L goes FFB get involved in a league and play with flings. I know I will. I dont think flings should be an exception to the rule in B just because some people would really hate playing them, especially with rookie teams.

Edit: 1. your english is fine so dont worry about it. 2. How are you doing so well with 6 vamps. Your crazy, but in a good way Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion is wrong! Halflings will rule all divisions! Just because they have no chance in the box is no reason they can't rule it! Ah... nevermind.... I'll wait for goblins.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed with Garion, one of the games I've played in [B] was with TV1000 Woodies against 10 game old 'Flings. OK, so they were a funny, RRless build, but even so, it was a sigh on the draw and a nightmare, even before dice went mental. It'd get worse if we allowed them Inducements too.

On the Vamps, I've specced games and watched replays, and I've said out loud 'You jammy (censored)' more than once with his 3 RRs. Tara is a (perhaps very) good coach, please don't misunderstand me, he knows exactly what he's doing, but my suspicion is if he did the same thing again through 19 games, he'd probably not get that win % with that build. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong, let’s see where they are at 50 games. If they maintain that win % to 50 games, I demand a GLN article on how to play Vampires, because I thought I knew what I was doing, but 6 Vamps and 3 RRs is far beyond my brainpower. Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Just so you know I am a huge fan of flings here is my most succesfull team to date - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=603039 and the rule changes to LRB6 really messed them up big time and it saddens me. But there cant be exceptions on the site for this. Luckily they will be more competative in L.

Purplegoo wrote:

If they maintain that win % to 50 games, I demand a GLN article on how to play Vampires, because I thought I knew what I was doing, but 6 Vamps and 3 RRs is far beyond my brainpower. Wink

Also agree with this I dont understand how he is so good with them. I think we are all playing them wrong :S

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

So, Garion, what you're saying is that you have always hated flings?

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I lost to those Vamps and I must say it was an extremely annoying build to play against. The fact that they can complete their actions even when they fail their OFAB rolls is just huge! Absolutely the game winner, no doubt about it.

Oh and Haflings were designed as a joke team.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't get me wrong, I realise what a big change that is, but the thing about beating Vampires was always killing the easy to kill Thralls and letting the Vampires beat themselves. If you play mega aggressively with 6 and 3, OK, I can see how you can jump a couple of TDs out early, or just use Thralls on the floor in low impact games to win, but surely, over time, the games will mount up where the Thralls all get in trouble and the Vampires are crippled with failure? I just don't see how it can be sustainable, even if you have 6 ST4 Blodge players. I've had two games out of ten with 4 Vampires and 4 RR + Leader where I've been down to just 4 Vampires and they've not won games because they've OFAB'd it away (in LRB4, I was big on 11 Thrall starts and getting all the RRs upfront, but decided because of the finish your action thing in 6 I could be more aggressive), so 6 seems massive!

Meh - I'll shut up, this is a massive hijack, sorry! Very Happy
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, ill try to answer both topics: flings and vamps Smile

Flings: i see the point about leaving everithing as it is now. And i agree with it. Problem is that i agree even with the other line: giving them more inducements. You all seem to think that getting 100-400k inducements will boost flings, but you dont mind that this means 100-400 higher TV for opponent. So, this means skills! And stunty teams have this main difference with others: they dont get the same boost from gaining skills, and after some tackle (or even tackle+MB) any team will have a nice day facing flings, doesnt matter how many trees they'll get.
I've played flings in FFB, and i always tried to get a nice inducements' amount (even just the chef if it seemed enough to win) and got not-so-nice stats throught absolute cherrypicking. So, playing them in [B] with dwarven and amazon teams around will prove for sure even worse. Anyway, making a special rule is probably not nice for box, so i see the right to leave them were they are.

Vamps: i've a simple tactic with 6 vamps and 3 RRs, i spend 16 turns repeating "i am a vamp i can do anything" and behave following this simple principle! Not conservative nor deeply thought actions, just aggressive mood on and pray!
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2011 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Tarabaralla wrote:
You all seem to think that getting 100-400k inducements will boost flings, but you dont mind that this means 100-400 higher TV for opponent. So, this means skills! And stunty teams have this main difference with others: they dont get the same boost from gaining skills, and after some tackle (or even tackle+MB) any team will have a nice day facing flings, doesnt matter how many trees they'll get.

While this is true to a point but in a lot of leagues, fling teams start with a TV of 600 as a starting roster. So they can induce the chef deeproot and puggy. Starting with those inducements against a rookie wood elf team I would have to fancy the flings really.

I do get where you are coming from though. It would be nice to be able to use them. But ranked is coming out soon, so you will be able to get games in ranked with inducements to even things up.

Quote:
So, Garion, what you're saying is that you have always hated flings?

Death to Flings Twisted Evil lol