46 coaches online • Server time: 16:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Buttercup

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

53 MICKEY FINN: Pick one member of the opposing team’s coaching staff other than the head coach. You have spiked his punch, and he is unavailable this match.

I had a game where my opponent had this handicap roll but it didn't disable my apothocary (no assistant coaches). Should it have? If so I'll report it as a bug, otherwise not...

Thanks,

Buttercup
Rimmer

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Apothecaries are not coaching staff.

Coaching staff = Head coach, ass coach and cheerleaders.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it SHOULD let you pick, and all of the following count as coaching staff:

Head Coach (although you can't pick this one)
Assistant Coaches
Chearleaders
Apothecary

Right now, it just removes an assistant coach, if you have one, more or less rendering this handicap useless. =)

The Finishing Touch
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Rimmer wrote:
Apothecaries are not coaching staff.

Coaching staff = Head coach, ass coach and cheerleaders.

Wrong.

From the LRB:

"... coaching staff (ie, assistant coaches,cheerleaders, Apothecaries etc)"

The reason they are not listed in the early part of the book under coaching staff is due to the stupid way the LRB is divided into regualr and advanced rules.

The Finishing Touch
Buttercup

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks - I'll bug it under LRB compliance in bugzilla to put it on a list.

Buttercup
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

what does the "etc." refer to? Is there something else I can buy? Very Happy Are wizards also considered coaching staff (the apoth is a wizard after all....)?

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm...i never realized that coaching staff included more that the assistant coaches. The LRB also has this line, "Until recently, Wizards could be hired as a permanent member of a team's coaching staff." Seems like you should be able to slip a wizard a mickey as well. And here I thought this handicap results was utterly useless. Laughing

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
AcheronStyx

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Pages 17/18 of the LRB covers coaching staff, and apothecary is NOT listed as coaching staff. Page 28 of the LRB has the apothecary section, and no where in there does it mention coaching staff. Pages 26-28 list the wizards, and they also are not part of the coaching staff, rather they are freebooters.
Hope this helps
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The LRB describes wizards as coaching staff, but it describes apothecaries as part of the team instead (just to confuse).
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, wizards used to be coaching staff, and for one off games, they are still hired as such. For league games, they are freeboot only, and as such, probably don't count as coaching staff there.

The Finishing Touch
AcheronStyx

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

on page 27 of the living rulebook...Until recently Wizards could be hired as a permanent member of a teams coaching staff. However, the colleges of magic soon became worried by this dreadful drain on their resources, and now coaches may only hire a wizard for a single match at a cost of 50,000gp. If you are playing by league rules, Wizards are hired at the same time as freebooters, and will only play for one game.

nothing there says, or even implies that wizards are coaching staff...it said they USED to be
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Acheron_Styx wrote:
Pages 17/18 of the LRB covers coaching staff, and apothecary is NOT listed as coaching staff.

As I've already said, this is most likely because the apothecary is not part of the standard rules, and the LRB is divided in a stupid way into standard and advanced rules, the section you quote is part of the standard rules. The apothecary IS listed as coaching staff in a later section of the rulebook, the section that I already quoted.

The Finishing Touch
Buttercup

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to disagree with you, Mr. Klipp - I think it's ambiguous what the status of an apothecary is (and for that matter a wizard).

The "extra rules" section starts PRIOR to the definition of coaching staff (p. 17 is where the extra rules start, and "coaching staff" is therefore part of the "extra rules").

In "coaching staff" the only people listed are the Head Coach, Assistant Coaches and Cheerleaders.

Under the section "Wizards" (p. 26-28) it lists both "special wizards" and "apothecaries".

The rule for wizards states:

Quote:
Until recently, Wizards could be hired as a permanent
member of a team’s coaching staff. However, the
Colleges of Magic soon became worried by this dreadful
drain on their resources, and now coaches may only
hire a Wizard for a single match at a cost of 50,000 gps.
If you are playing with the league rules, Wizards are
hired at the same time as Freebooters, and will only play
for one game. You may only hire one Wizard per match.

Now does this mean that Wizards are impermanent members of the coaching staff? Or does this mean that they are no longer part of the coaching staff? This is even more confusing because wizards and apothecaries are in the same section of the rulebook but apthothecaries are permanent.

This only gets more muddled when they actually describe Apothecaries because they say:

Quote:
An Apothecary is a healer wise in the ways of medicine and
the healing arts who looks after the injured players in a
Blood Bowl team – and so has a strenuous and full-time job!
Apothecaries are not Wizards as such, and so each team
may have one in addition to a Wizard. In addition, once hired
the Apothecary becomes a permanent member of the team
and does not have to be re-hired at the start of each match.

Does this mean that they are just "permanent" members of the team (i.e. the coaching staff of the team) or they are part of the "team" (i.e. NOT part of the coaching staff).

Quaere what impact this would have on a halfling chef or the other types of wizards (not the Necromancer though, as he's the head coach).

This is (perhaps) clarified in the section on p. 45 which you've already quoted where they say:

Quote:
4. Purchases In this phase the coaches may buy new players for their teams, either as replacement players for any that were
killed during the match, or as new players to add to the
team. New coaching staff (ie, assistant coaches, cheerleaders, Apothecaries etc) may also be hired.

I think it's a bit ambiguous. What does the "etc" mean? Wizards? Chefs?

I think the handicap would be way more powerful if all non-actual players were considered coaching staff (i.e. wizards, apoths, ass't coaches & cheerleaders) but I think the rules weren't written in a clear way so as to interpret this properly.

My two cents.

Buttercup

p.s. sorry for the lousy formatting - have to run out.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Buttercup wrote:
I have to disagree with you, Mr. Klipp - I think it's ambiguous what the status of an apothecary is (and for that matter a wizard).

You can disagree all you like, but the following quote from the LRB says in plain english that apothecaries are part of the coaching staff.:

"... coaching staff (ie, assistant coaches,cheerleaders, Apothecaries etc)"

Wizards are arguable, apothecaries are spelled out in black and white.

The Finishing Touch

Last edited by Mr-Klipp on %b %12, %2004 - %23:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
MixX

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think anyone who's not a player is a member of the coaching staff, no matter how they come to join the team or for how long.. can't back it up with an exact quote from the LRB (apart from what Mr-Klipp said) though..
 Jump to: