21 coaches online • Server time: 05:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
On1

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I heard someone mention Smack style tournaments coming to bbox... Dunno if this is true or not.

Would Smacks in bbox be a good or a bad thing?

As i see it it's cool to have the option of playing small tournaments, but if 8 coaches attends, the draws are going to be empty for those not participating. Leading to people abandoning bbox all together i think Razz

I am not promoting anything, i am asking a question Smile
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the opposite. While I'm sure some like would like the tournaments, it goes against the reason many (most?) play Box: quick, easy, no-effort matching. A standard (not "scheduled") SMACK would launch the first round right away (no problems yet), but the next round some people would have to wait for games to finish to get their next match (something Box players don't normally have to deal with). Then the finals sometime within 2 weeks (sounds like work!), though a lot get played right away.

All that stuff is also available on-demand in Ranked, so long as you can round up 8 people and an admin (for Box, presumably it would be the same, unless Christer implemented something special for Box Smacks). The only advantage would be the ability to play them with your Box teams.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that's an important difference...for those of us who like little shiny award wins on our profile, currently, we can't get those if we play Box(excepting Minors and Majors).

I'd play Box smacks just for the chance to win something Sad. It adds a bit more point to high TV play than just "play n park".
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
The only advantage would be the ability to play them with your Box teams.

That's a big advantage if all your favourite teams are in the Box.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that would be doable if it was only at the top of the hour, and there was an option to check (activate) or (activate for boxsmack). You could chat it up a little in the box chat telling everyone to join you in a box smack... Maybe even remove TV limits, so it would be "Enter at your own risk," which is very much in the spirit of the box.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
One thing that's an important difference...for those of us who like little shiny award wins on our profile, currently, we can't get those if we play Box(excepting Minors and Majors).

You don't get them for League or Stunty either. As you point out, there are already major and minor Box tourneys.

While I have no objection to Box SMACKs, I just don't get this one. Box is for easy games. Ranked is for arranged games and tournaments. Box tends to be one-off games, after which you reset your team to best win the next one. Ranked lends itself to fluff, pixel-hugging, and long-term team building.

Hitonagashi wrote:
I'd play Box smacks just for the chance to win something Sad. It adds a bit more point to high TV play than just "play n park".

Ranked is (or at least was) where the majors are. If you wanted tournaments, it was right there, waiting. Now there are both majors and minors in the box. If you want to play SMACKs, you can just make a Ranked team. Enter them in a rookie SMACK and never worry about having to find games on GF, if that's why you don't like Ranked.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:

While I have no objection to Box SMACKs, I just don't get this one. Box is for easy games. Ranked is for arranged games and tournaments. Box tends to be one-off games, after which you reset your team to best win the next one. Ranked lends itself to fluff, pixel-hugging, and long-term team building.

Why would Box not be for tournaments when it already has tournaments?

Why can't Box teams have fluff? Some Box teams have 100s of games played. Pixel hugging doesn't really work though. Wink

If you don't have much time to play then it is a total pain in the ass to have to maintain teams in two divisions.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I would add is that if it did happen i would be against TV brackets for the box. Just my personal opinion.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

oh look...this again...

--j

ImageImage
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
oh look...this again...

--j

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21539&start=15

Last post. At least there's a reason for the discussion this time Wink.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Why can't Box teams have fluff?

I don't mean logos and pics and backgrounds, I mean theme teams, and RP type teams. Teams that carry beat-to-crap old players because they are 130 games old and it feels wrong to scrap them. Teams that use all the positionals, even when it's generally accepted that some aren't really worth the cost. Teams that shun certain positionals or skills because it doesn't fit the theme.

While some buck the trend, Box is about winning the next game and that's it. In Ranked, many people have other goals besides optimizing team performance.

(as for why the Box has tournaments, as near as I can remember, it seemed like it was the lesser evil compared to listening to all the people asking why it didn't Wink )
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:

Hitonagashi wrote:

Ranked is (or at least was) where the majors are. If you wanted tournaments, it was right there, waiting. Now there are both majors and minors in the box. If you want to play SMACKs, you can just make a Ranked team. Enter them in a rookie SMACK and never worry about having to find games on GF, if that's why you don't like Ranked.

And if, as the case is, I have my favourite team I play about 50-60% of my games with, and I'd like to enter that in more tournaments besides the 4 majors a year?

Just because I play Blackbox doesn't mean I can't like my team...when it's grown up and ready for tournaments, it seems pointless to just play another couple of games to get it killed again. When I have a team that's tournament ready, I'd like to be able to enter it in more tournaments.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
oh look...this again...

--j

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21539&start=15

Last post. At least there's a reason for the discussion this time Wink.

A discussion yes, but not the one that is going on in this thread. It has been said numerous times by PC that B will not get smacks.

He did say there will be an B equivalent, which is what your link is referring to. So if you want to discus, it would be more along the lines of what the new BBB will look like, not why there are no B smacks.

Edit: and even that discussion is not on topic Wink

So on topic, the new BBB can be both bad and good, unless we know details, there is not really much to say about the impact.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:

And if, as the case is, I have my favourite team I play about 50-60% of my games with, and I'd like to enter that in more tournaments besides the 4 majors a year?

For those of us that stink that works out at 4 tournament games a year! Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock: Fair enough. I really don't care if I get more tournaments! Very Happy

Smacks don't really fuss me per se, it'll just be nice to have more tourneys to enter. Can't wait to hear more about BBB.

Jump to: