52 coaches online • Server time: 20:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SonofSharkboy

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2004 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The LRB states that the turns have a time limit of 4 minutes. Have there been any thoughts to implement this into the client? If nothing else as an option for the two players to decide on? Perhaps internet lag might make this less than fair or cause issues?
Barash

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2004 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

This has been discussed before. general conclusion was that you never knows what happens in RL, so you need to be able to take a break without causing it turnovers.
There is an assist if you and your opponent agree on following that rule:

readme.txt (of bloodbowl client):

----------------------------------------------------------------
50. "Notify Turn Limit" Option
----------------------------------------------------------------

This option enables a turn limit warning. With this option
enabled you will hear the ref whistle and see a message in
the message window to inform you your turn time limit has
expired. This is merely a reminded and is not enforced by
the game.

By default the turn time limit is 4 minutes. You can
customize this in the options.ini file with this tag:
"turnlimit=<number of minutes>"

Example:
turnlimit=7

This would give you 7 minute turn warnings.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2004 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

you also have to think about the time you need in real life for rolling the dice and all the little things the client is doing for us, so the real life time playing will never match the client time
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2004 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps a work around his to ask skijunkie to turn the time warning on as a default?

Its just a warning and what have you, but dealing with superslow players is at times grating on the nerves, and this at least might get the point across...
chunky04

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2004 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I've always thought a stunty lightning tourney with 1 minute enforced turn limits would be kinda fun. Chaotic, but fun.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2004 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I am a fast table top player and so is my mate. We played under a timer once, and both concluded that 4 minutes is nigh on impossible, especially in the old classic dwarves vs orcs.

In the client, it is sooooo much faster, and is acheivable. Even still, that old classic matchup is damn hard to do in 4 minutes sometimes.

I like the warning sound, but enforced limits are not a good idea. On the subject of timeouts, sometimes, while playing on the computer, you get phonecalls, door knocks, loo breaks and wives demanding conversation, so a limit is not a good idea. At least in a timed table top game, if the phone rang, you wold pause the clock, cos your opponent can see you need it. This wont work on the client. You could say anything just to buy time.

So, NO to timed turns!
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2004 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

R_Spiskit wrote:
On the subject of timeouts, sometimes, while playing on the computer, you get phonecalls, door knocks, loo breaks and wives demanding conversation, so a limit is not a good idea.
So, NO to timed turns!

Can't talk now honey! I've got a ton of Tackle Zones to deal with here and I'm trying to push this darned elf into the crowd! Wink
Tribble_the_Unclean

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2004 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

R_Spiskit wrote:
I am a fast table top player and so is my mate. We played under a timer once, and both concluded that 4 minutes is nigh on impossible, especially in the old classic dwarves vs orcs.

So, NO to timed turns!

Are you serious? An average tabletop Blood Bowl player that is in a league using the 4-minute timer rule can easily throw together a turn in that amount of time. It really adds to the pace and the fun of the game. It requires you to think about your next turn before you get to it, but also can result in you being so stressed that you leave holes open in your strategy. I think the time limit is one of the best things in tabletop Blood Bowl, because players can't just sit there counting out squares and making sure everyone is placed just right.

But the again, far be it for FUMBBL to follow the rulebook.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2004 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

4 minute turns is fast? 4*32 = 128 = 2 hours and 8 minutes. That is NOT fast.

In my Tabletop league, we play 2 minute turns on the timer. 2*32 = 64 = 1 hour and 4 minutes.

The League finals took a little longer as only 1 of the 7 games did not go into overtime...

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2004 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

R_Spiskit wrote:
...On the subject of timeouts, sometimes, while playing on the computer, you get phonecalls, door knocks, loo breaks and wives demanding conversation, so a limit is not a good idea. ...

It's been discussed many times in the past. For these and other reasons, the admins have always said that the time limit would not be enforced.

Also, I believe Ski said there was a potential problem with forcing a turn to end without an in-game action taking place (ie: just because the clock ticks off, rather than a turnover because you tripped while dodging). I could be way off on this last one, it's just from memory.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2004 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

We have timer on client, after it goes over 4mins no new player can start action if opponent dont push his timer off which becomes active after 4min.
This way opponent can say "hey my doorbell is ringin" and you can grant him "overtime" in that turn. There prolly is goin to be rude people who will say that your 4mins are used, bad luck and not grant overtime but theres always rude people who foul on last turn of the game etc. I think most ppl are willing to grant overtime in every normal game. Where this comes handy is those tournament where people really want to play competive.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2004 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds cool! My votes on peikko.

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2004 - 02:56 Reply with quote Back to top

So what about sidestep, apothecaries, diving tackle, passblock, etc... Each of these probably has to be re-coded to stop the timer or you're making a whole new way for cheaters to cheat.

Setting up after kickoffs currently runs up the receiving player's turn. That means that kickoffs have to be rewritten as well.

That's a whole lot of stuff that gets potentially broken for this one change. Also, there's this:
SkiJunkie wrote:
Some of you will be happy to know that the next patch will have a time limit option. By default it will be 4 minutes. This can be changed by editing the options.nfo file and adding a special tag with a number for minutes. When the time limit is reached the refs whistle will blow and you will get a message in the messages window. (Can't do a popup because if another popup is already open it can cause the game to lock).

Others will be happy to know this is not enforced. It is just a reminder (which you can turn off in the options).

Just because of the way I wrote it you will probably get the ref warning whistle if you take longer than 4 minutes to setup your players at kickoff.

I can't enforce it for the same reason I couldn't get the turn to auto end when all players have moved. It causes to many problems, and would take too much time to do properly.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2004 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to mention players taking a long time to select which blocking dice to pick in the opponents turn...

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: