69 coaches online • Server time: 19:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Who should I choose?
Slann
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
Chaos Dwarf
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Undead
75%
 75%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 62

DrPoods

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone!

having just joined FUMBBL but having mucked around with Blood Bowl for quite some time, I was wondering if I could get a little assistance here.

(Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place)

I used to play Dwarfs many moons ago but want to go in a different direction (this was on tabletop in the mid-90's). At present I think I have narrowed down my choices to:

1. Slann
2. Chaos Dwarfs
3. Undead

I would love to try a pass happy team but haven't really done that before so at first while I get to grips with FUMBBL I might stick to some running Blood Bowl!

Anyway, I suppose my level would be a tiny bit better than an absolute beginner but I guess it is better not to overrate yourself! So that would have to bear into any consideration of who I should have a go with.

Thanks in advance everyone!
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 09:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome Smile

The ability level here is above average in my experience, so don't be put off by losing early on.

Slann are a tricky team lacking in certain core skills. They are however fun, so it really depends what you want and what you're looking to achieve. CDwarfs are easy to play but can tend towards cheesy. I voted Undead because the're fun, quite easy to use if hard to master, and regen teams are always nice early on.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice is the following:

Not Slann, as Mr J said they are tricky. One of the harder teams to master. So put them on the back burner for now.

The other 2 are not, and good at low level. So do the following.

1. Make both teams, no reason to limit yourself to just one.
2. Actually make 4 teams. 2 ranked, and 2 league. You will get more games in Ranked, however you will be seen as an easyish win by many coaches. Where as League, you won't get many games, but they probably will be.......more entertaining for you.
3. Join the 145 club. You can then use your League teams in here as well as the open environment.
4. Think about making a Stunty League team. Right now there is an open competition going on, so Stunty will get a lot of traffic and is a fun part of the game.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
3. Join the 145 club. You can then use your League teams in here as well as the open environment.

+1

Welcome to FUMBBL! I wish you a good enjoyment!

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

First off, don't worry about 'decision time'. You can play 100 teams on here, so nothing is set in stone. Getting a feel for one team before moving on is good, but it's not a terribly big deal.

As for what to start learning with, I'd recommend starting with orcs or dark elves. Note that dark elves aren't really a pass happy team, but rather a block and dodge happy team. Undead work well too, especially early on. Chaos dwarves are also powerful, but they are not as flexible/forgiving, so I would not recommend starting with those. Look at the top lists or masters for the race(s) you choose, then watch some replays of both wins and losses (and try and figure out how they came to be wins and losses). Spectating games by top coaches is even better, because you will often see the comments on plays by other coaches.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead are the best starter race in your list. But I would always recommend Orcs as the best rookie coach starter race, because they do everything well.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome!

Voted Undead, too. It is said they are a good team to start with and having played them in a league (and even without ghouls) I can agree. If you realize you don't have fun with them (and not just because you might have problems winning in the beginning), switch to another team. You could also just create all three of them and then play with whatever you are in the mood for.

Where do you want to start?

A good place is the 145 Club.

Edit:
Got a phone call before submitting my answer and of course everything has been said in the meantime. Another "welcome!" can't hurt though. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Embarrassingly it took me about 25 games on fumbbl before I managed to bag my first win, admittedly ogre brains work slower than most :>
CroixFer

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Think different. Play Slann!
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the welcomes!

As I am the indecisive sort I may take that advice of having one of each and playing what I feel like at a particular time.

But I will see what others have to say and then probably focus on that one for the time being!
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Go Undead. Excellent starter team.

Chaos Dwarfs are kinda frowned upon and Slann are certainly no stuff for beginners.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann are definitely not a beginner team, though they can be fun (as well as frustrating). Chaos dwarf are good but a bit slow, so can be out-positioned easily. Undead are probably the best of your options.

Simple choice: make all teams!! You can have up to 100 so why not make a bunch, play a bunch of games, and see what you like Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Go Undead. Excellent starter team.

Chaos Dwarfs are kinda frowned upon and Slann are certainly no stuff for beginners.

Frowned upon? How so?
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldnt say they are frowned upon, not as a rookie team anyway, but they can be built and developed in a really cheesy way, so if you are playing in ranked, they will be hard to get games with. if you are playing in blackbox there is no need to worry about that.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2013 - 12:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Undead are the best starter race in your list. But I would always recommend Orcs as the best rookie coach starter race, because they do everything well.

If you give rookies the advice of playing with orcs from the start of their career they stay with orcs as the main team. We dont need more orcblood in bb!
 Jump to: