13 coaches online • Server time: 06:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
liquidorange

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

This may seem ridiculous, but I was noticing it last night. Does anyone think that the player portrait for Max Spleenripper bears an uncanny resemblance to Ku Klux Klan members? It's a little unnerving between the white hood and close resemblance to Klan symbols on his loincloth.

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Err.. actually on his loincloth there is an eight pointed Chaos star.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

And if he was from the Klan he would have "Really Stupid" and "Bonehead" both added to his skillset.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if someone finds it offensive, there's no point in negating there's a little resemblance. Even if it ends up at the hood. Change portrait?
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The art work is based on the model. It could probably do with a recolouring though? I always thought the model was based off the KKK, but yeah, colouring it white is probably a really bad idea.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never really looked at the portrait colouring, I think the white should go. Make it black, like an executioner, which I think was the original intent of the player.? I know with the icon I ensured it looked more like a pointy helmet, because of past controversy over the GW Max model.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually was thinking the same thing. It's probably not a big deal, but yeah. Get rid of the white hood.
albinv

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Aside the point if this has to be seen as offensive or intended (get your tin foil out coaches, nuffles coming at ya!), max definitely looks like a ku-klux-clan member regardless of that stained cloth on his groin. ^^

Last edited by albinv on %b %06, %2014 - %17:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Not only KKK wear this kind of outfit around the place. Easter processions in Seville and other places in spain were using it long before KKK even existed.

Anyway, it's a Chaos warrior with a chainsaw...

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been expecting this topic to come up somewhere at some point. There are several figures/portrayals from the 80s that were more than likely based off of the KKK look.

A regiment of renown. Several Slaaneshi characters. Some of the chaos familiars. Does this mean GW were racist/supporters of the KKK? Or knew a good look for something evil when they saw it?

Firstly to get the image clear:

These are evil/bad people. Which the KKK are/were. It's also very striking imagery, like I guess SS personnel. I don't think they should be tied to a racist theme, that I think is unsavoury.

We can connect this look, with being evil. However is it really offensive? Is anyone actually offended by this image? It goes back to the 80s before political correctness was.......I'll say it, out of control.

In the future I plan to recreate teams based on this look. I know I'm not racist, I know I don't support or ever did support the KKK. However I do think this is a very striking look for evil/chaos warriors, and I can't really believe creating such imagery is belittling/hurting those who suffered from the KKK or are glamourising what they did.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Do you find it offensive because political correctness tells me I should, or that you really do find it offensive. Only you can answer that, and your opinion should be respected. For me, I really like this look for a evil/chaosy warrior.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I get more of an executioner vibe from it, but I see the resemblance. If anything, I think the white coloration is a bit off for chaos.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

So now I know why my topless pictures of Gronkowski keep on getting rejected Sad
liquidorange

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

To be clear, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was blatantly offended by it. I just thought it was a little off. Change the coloration of the hood to something more like an executioner (which is how I always saw the mini anyhow...) and boom, we're all set.

The other point is that I think we as a community should talk things through like civilized people. Shocking internet concept, I know. But I have faith we can manage it.
the.tok

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
Not only KKK wear this kind of outfit around the place. Easter processions in Seville and other places in spain were using it long before KKK even existed.

Anyway, it's a Chaos warrior with a chainsaw...

Exactly what I was thinking : it is your comment that made me think of KKK, and I wouldn't have thought about it naturally. The executioner/ghost/inquisitors was more what I thought about.

I think it is kind of ethno-centric to assume that white hat = ku klux klan too :
If a warrior has a double axe with a blue handle and a white/red blade, I wouldn't assume the drawer means to be offensive, I just guess he did not think about WWII french symbols...

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

i'll feel offended if they change the color