44 coaches online • Server time: 15:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Uelrindru

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a newb coach just starting the game. Played a few games on the PC as chaos and one of my beastmen that I was grooming to be a ball carrier got doubles and I'm looking at taking foul presence as a further deterrent to being blitz. So one, is this a good choice as an early skill and two is it worth it in general? I love the idea of potentially making an opponent blow a blitz because they wet their pants at the sight of my guy
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Usually not a good plan to allow the opponent to blitz your ball carrier.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

OK: first, Foul Appearance isn't a double. If you're making a ballcarrier, Dodge is what you should take on doubles. Block/Dodge/Sure Hands will work a lot better than FA at protecting him.

And in general, mmm, no, it's not a good early skill choice. On a team like Chaos which is so lacking in basic skills, there are much better choices: Block, Tackle, Guard, MB, etc.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

In general most people are not dissuaded from blitzing a ball carrier if the only thing standing in their way is foul appearance. The benefits are totally worth the risk especially if the blitzer also has some other skills that make it a pain to get away from - stand firm, side step, tackle, diving tackle.

So no, it really isn't that great as a taken skill. As an inherent skill on some nurgle players, its fun and handy.

Does this beastman have dodge yet? Thats one of the 3 primary ball carrier skills (along with block and sure hands). If he has those you could look at taking extra arms or extra head. The world is your oyster with doubles on a beastman.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

it is actually a skill that doesn't exist anymore. It's either disturbing presence or foul appearence. And mutations for chaos don't require doubles.

But xnoel got it right, foul appearence can be a reasonable choice for a ball carrier only after block and sure hands on normal rolls.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't saying I would leave him I defended because of it but if he was in the middle of a cage that they somehow dodge into or break into it's another line of defense that would also make him good at getting the ball. It's his first skill and I already have a guy with sure hands but he has a neg str so I'll likely end up firing him soon.
Heff

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Guy with neg str gets fired IMMEDIATELY. Unless he is a snotling when you laugh
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Fire -ST guy now, give this guy Dodge, and carry with him. Journeymen make money decisions so easy these days. Any injury, except maybe a minor one on a special player, fire.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
it is actually a skill that doesn't exist anymore. It's either disturbing presence or foul appearence. And mutations for chaos don't require doubles.

Even more actually it is a skill that never has existed at all! Mr. Green

Foul Presence is a MtG-Card though. Razz
Uelrindru

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it was actually on my psp version. I'm running. Ton of systems at once because I hate myself. It's the one that makes them check to block you.
Uelrindru

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm beginning to think Chaos was a bad choice to start out with. Need to find another bashy team with skills on them, back to the drawing board
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Chaos is definitely not a great choice for a new coach. Orcs have fallen out of favour recently, but they are still great for new coaches. Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves are also decent for new coaches.

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Grod on %b %12, %2014 - %01:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Or play hereā€¦.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul Appearance isn't a good enough skill to take, pretty much ever.

Chaos are one of the hardest teams to get going. Chaos Dwarves are your route to easy clawpomb facerolling if that is your style. Otherwise, I like to recommend Orcs for a regular bash experience or High Elves for an agile team. Undead are also new-player friendly, the biggest part of the learning curve is understanding that mummies are best used with 2 assists to get 3 dice. Once you have that figured out, Undead bash from day one.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Uelrindru wrote:
I love the idea of potentially making an opponent blow a blitz because they wet their pants at the sight of my guy

There is something to be said for just "having fun" - but if you are asking the question, then I'm guessing "winning" comes first, as an important part of that "fun".

So...

mrt1212 wrote:
In general most people are not dissuaded from blitzing a ball carrier if the only thing standing in their way is foul appearance.

+1 - that's only 1/6 chance to not block, and it can be RR'd.

xnoelx wrote:
If you're making a ballcarrier, Dodge is what you should take on doubles. Block/Dodge/Sure Hands will work a lot better than FA at protecting him.

This. Zero doubt.

There are only 2 skills that keep any player from being knocked down - Block (which stops "Both Down") and Dodge (which stops "Pow-Push") (unless Tackled).

Of those, Dodge is a doubles.

More, if just marked, Dodge helps him get away more reilably - a big bonus. It also helps him squeeze thru gaps in a defense - another plus.

Take Dodge.

bghandras wrote:
Usually not a good plan to allow the opponent to blitz your ball carrier.

That's an experienced coach speaking wisdom.

For a newer coach, that's easier said than done, but it's still the goal. Wink

Dodge now, then Sure Hands, then Block (so he can help when he doesn't have the ball).

If someone rolls +Ag before that's finished, make him your new ballhandler, same skills.

Once your ballcarrier gets Blodge+Sure Hands, THEN you can think about "fun". But even then, FA probably is not anything close to a "winning" skill until his 5th or 6th, if then. (You'd pro'ly get more mileage out of something like Fend or Stand Firm, or (as mentioned above) a Mutation to help him Dodge or pickup the ball better - 2 Heads or Big Hands or Extra Arms).

GL.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
 Jump to: