11 coaches online • Server time: 05:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, this is the team: https://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=720931

It's ogres so I don't expect to win many matches. However I do play to win the game. Nuffle smiled upon a pair of my ogres granting them each with +AG. I could not resist the temptation and took strong arm on the first one.

My question is now play style and future development. Should I set up to toss a team mate every turn? Always toss for one turn TD. Toss when opponent has failed a pick-up. Toss to slow a ball carrier until a snot can arrive. Just toss snot like I had nasal drip?

Or should I have the break tackle one be my ball carrier and try to her take it in?

As far as snots go, should I skill them all with sprint and sure feet as they will be chucked all over the field? Or should I go classic with diving tackle and a DP if I can get it?

Finally, with future player purchases. Should I try to keep a full roster of snots, then foul every turn or should I save to buy another ogre?

I am soooooo confused and have utilized too much though on an ogre squad.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ag has no effect on throw team mate, strong arm makes it a 2+ but landing is the tricky bit anyway you need an ag5 snotling with sure feet and Sprint to ttm with any reliability. You want one ag3 ogre to be the ball carrier and just walk the ball in for a td.

Snots just go dt and Dp.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. Succinct and makes sense.
madvig

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I had some good experiences with a +ag ogre combined with juggernaut and break tackle. He is more or less unstoppable when blitzing Down the field with the ball. just make sure he will get some sure hands at some point. otherwise you are more or less screwed against any strip ball player.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to carry the ball with a snotling, but it's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2014 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
I like to carry the ball with a snotling, but it's all part of life's rich tapestry.

I've thought about doing this, problem as I see it is keeping a bonehead cage together, because if one corner of the cage has to be a snot, a sacker can easily dodge in. How do you do it?
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, with two +ag ogres, chances are one of them will get a double for block or sure hands or both so good luck and enjoy them! Also, the strong arm guy could pass to snot receivers if you need, -if you keep one in scoring range, it may draw the blitz from your opponent, leaving the cage more free to advance.
Give you more option anyhow. Good to see Ogres being played Smile
paradocks

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

With ogres I think strategy can vary a lot depending who you are playing. Against say a nurgle team I probably prefer to carry the ball with a snotling but against an elf team I'd want to carry the ball with an ogre. Generally advancing an ogre cage I might not move the front pins and then move the back guys to the front.

To me ogres are all about having many different plans, then when things start boneheading you switch to the next plan etc, many people don't seem to understand this strategy very well as no other race is so demanding - leading to other coaches getting very impatient playing against ogre coaches because to them you just decide to move and voila..
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I almost always carry with snotling unless there is a touchback or a good opportunity for an ogre pick up. With a snotling carrier you have 1 more ogre as a corner, plus the snot can better dodge through lines or maybe can be thrown. Still bad though and awful v elves.
https://www.fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8230879

But if I had a +ag Ogre I would frequently try to pick up with him instead.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Well put paradocks. I love it when coaches underestimate ogres as well, leaving you room to break tackle blitz the ball carrier, for instance.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that issue was partially solved. Had one AG3 Ogre killed in the first turn of the game I just finished. Then later another ogre with block. While it was a Necro team, neither were killed by Mb or Claw. Just normal blocks. Back to playing with 3 ogres.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Ouch. I tend to use the sidelines to help cage. Mass sidestep mitigates the surf risk. And yes, elves are a pain.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Get another Ogre. Snots are going to die a lot, so trying to keep up with replacing them is an clear path to madness. The best ways to keep your snotling fatalities down is to have less snotlings on the field at a time, which means you need more Ogres ASAP.

If you are blessed with a third double on your +AG, go Sure Hands, for more reliable pick up, use less dice, and frustrate enemies using strip ball. Strangely, the best normal skill you can get for him now is Break Tackle, since he will be the one with the ball most often it makes it so the enemy can't easily just mark the guy to prevent the score.

Strong Arm does have SOME merit, making that Ogre a minor passing threat, and makes throw team mate actions a bit better. It is far from reliable method of advancing the ball, 5 movement and Bonehead are really terrible on a passer, but sometimes one has to throw the ball, and he is FAR better than anyone else on this team in that regard.
 Jump to: