49 coaches online • Server time: 19:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
charlie1331

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

My brother and I have introduced our dad to bb and so far he's enjoying himself. He is playing orcs and is apart of our 20 team TT league. However he is starting to get frustrated because he still struggles with identifying 2dice vs 1die blocks, positioning on offense, and some of the basic strategies. He is a smart guy, good with games, but BB is its own animal. If you had the opportunity to sit down across the pitch from him how would you teach him? My brother and I have already ingrained upon him low risk to high risk, but he's a bit of a pixel hugger. How do you go about resetting that mindset?

I'm playing a half against him tomorrow as a tutorial for him to walk through turns and ask questions while I offer suggestions and critiques. I thought about playing a house rule that armor never breaks to help him let go of the hugging and also consider positioning more carefully. He's not likely to read much of the beginners guides available, but that will be suggested.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

get on fumbbl with him each day and spectate a game together. Discuss the strategies witnessed and try to predict together what will happen next. Once he can start predicting what will happen, he's ready.

Last edited by Arktoris on %b %08, %2015 - %07:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Great call Arktoris.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

charlie1331 wrote:
e he still struggles with identifying 2dice vs 1die blocks,

I think this is hands down the hardest part of the game to learn and very well worthwhile to emphasize on this and take some time to learn it.

"The art of blocking" is still an excellent guide through this.

I recommend googling it and showing it to him.
Tantibus

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

House rule - let dad win.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2015 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

"The art of blocking" is still an excellent guide through this.

I recommend googling it and showing it to him.

+1

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2015 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I've introduced quite a few people to blood bowl. A good way to teach the blocking mechanism is to eliminate all the other distractions and only focus on blocking. To do this you have to both play human linemen only teams (no skills players). When he gets more confortable with the mechanism (usually around turn 4 of first half), insert a Guard player on each team. Once you feel he's starting to master it, insert a second Guard player on each team.

It worked very well around here !!
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2015 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

For a new coach do not get to eager for mastery yet of the tactics. Teach him the art of laying the boot, new coaches need to learn first how to lay out a nasty boot.

Once they figure that out then they will slowly master the art of blocking to get more juicy targets on the ground to boot.

Iam serious, fouling is the way to teach blocking in Blood Bowl.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2015 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

if you (st3:for example) are going 1 on 1 with a guy who is also st3 - its likely to be a evenly matched fight (skills depending), so theres your 1 die block! which as we all know isnt greatly reliable - (being unskilled) you are just as likely to end up on the turf as the guy you are hitting!

Now... get one of your mates to help you out (also st3) and.. bingo! 2 dice block! You have a greater chance of knocking the guy on his arse!..... BUT if he also brings his friend along (also st3) then we are back to square one again.

^ that might be one way of saying it..?
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2015 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I also have taught several people, both old and young. The art of blocking is great for people who read. Practice with the human linemen for those who don't. As for a team, I learned a lot playing dwarves. I may not always win the match, but I usually out fought the other guy and had a lot of fun. Will also help with the pixel hugging.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2015 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The last time I tried to introduce someone to BB, they left at the half saying they felt a psychopathic episode coming on and had to step away (this was a few days ago over in Ranked). Heh.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2015 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Art of blocking, and a few others: http://www.thenaf.net/resources/playbooks/

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2015 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

how about just practicing different setups and ask who gets 2D and who does not? discussing and learning to see the patterns that all experienced players see (even outside the pitch).
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2015 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking back on it, when I was learning to play BB on the TT, identifying blocking situations and relative strength was difficult because I had very little knowledge of all the rosters and the stats of all the different players. It takes time, practice and playing a few different teams to "get it." Kudos for starting him off with an orc team. I always tell newcomers to our TT league to try orcs or humans first as both teams are forgiving to newcomers at low TV and winning with either emphasizes basics of the game.

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2015 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

I am serious

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 Jump to: