19 coaches online • Server time: 04:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Were my TBB posts offensive?
Yes and you should have been banned for being so incredibly offensive.
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Yes, but no more offensive than other postings that occur regularly at TBB.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yes, and you should have received a "yellow card" just like their rules state.
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
It's hard to tell what is political offensive. If the same standard for your banishment were applied, many TBBers should be banned.
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Yes, but people should be thicker skinned. It's the only when democracy can flourish.
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
No, the mods at TBB are hypocrites and they repeatedly violated their own rules.
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 49

EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

After experiencing the totalitarian, arbitrary and hypocritical mods at Talk Blood Bowl, I must express my gratitude that the FUMBBL community seems much more mature. You are capable of intelligent and informed political discussions and aren't afraid of allowing people to be active citizens (if they so choose) by discussing politics in an Off-Topic forum.

I'm very grateful that posting a few quotes on censorship or that lamenting about our forum policies won't get you banned at FUMBBL. Instead I was pleasantly suprised to find that the mods here at FUMBBL were much more insightful.

I'm glad the mods attempt to be balanced here. Unlike TBB where blatantly offensive political postings that are contrary to their rules go unchallenged. Unfortunately, I can't respond to the besmirching of my reputation and the wildly inaccurate comments regarding anarchism. I was not offended that I "can't post anarchist rants" but that I would be banned for non-offensive quotations about censorship or discussing the inconsistant and highly arbitrary enforcement of their rules by posting in an off-topic forum.

I'm curious if others think this is a huge overeaction on their behalf. Were my comments offensive?

Here's there official rules that they post as a must read sticky:
Quote:
Political Discussion

This is a place for discussion about Blood Bowl, please do not bring up or discuss politics or current events that may offend other people on the board.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't find your posts offensive, but since they are against the rules, they had to do something. A yellow card would have sufficed IMO, though. Banning seems a little harsh.

(By against the rules, I mean my interpretation of the rules, which goes something like 'do not bring up or discuss politics or current events, as that may offend other people on the board'. I think they just phrased it badly in the sticky, it can be interpreted a number of ways.)

As for mods breaking their own rules, of course they do. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it.

Banning you is their loss, your voice will be missed.
gken1

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

he got a break on the first post....then he tried again and got booted. so he used his yellow card up.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

gken1 wrote:
he got a break on the first post....then he tried again and got booted. so he used his yellow card up.

Can't argue with that then. Rules are rules, even badly worded, vague rules.

EDIT: Didn't realise he'd started a thread complaining bout the locking. As whitey says, never a good plan.

Last edited by Azurus on %b %18, %2004 - %04:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
whitey

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think your first post was offensive, but look how quickly it became very heated. This was not something you'd written, but others posting in your thread lead it from some quotes to people making remarks deemed as pro or anti-american. This is why polictical discussion was banned over there. Making a thread about a locked thread on the other hand is never a good idea.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:

(By against the rules, I mean my interpretation of the rules, which goes something like 'do not bring up or discuss politics or current events, as that may offend other people on the board'. I think they just phrased it badly in the sticky, it can be interpreted a number of ways.)

My mistake, I read the rules as they were written.

Quote:

As for mods breaking their own rules, of course they do. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it.

Uhm... yes there is. You (and others) are at least able to still post over there.

gken1 wrote:

Uhm... no I didn't. Just because you think I should be banned does not change the facts that I was never given a yellow card.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Relevant Link

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Evo, asking us to justify their or your actions are just as pointless as trying to get Bush out of office. It happened, and they reacted as they did. We have to get over it, and move along. It isn't how I would have responded, but to each their own.

Z
whitey

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:

JohnnyP wrote:
Political Discussion

This is a place for discussion about Blood Bowl, please do not bring up or discuss politics or current events that may offend other people on the board.

While you may have satisfied this rule, it could be argued that the two things not to discuss are;
1. politics
2. current events that may offend other people on the board.

While that one comes down to semantics, you clearly broke the rule stated in the title of the Totally Off Topic section.

Quote:
NOTE. NO NON_BB POLITICAL DISCUSSION PERMITTED

I respect your opinions Evo and you've been a positive force on fumbbl. However if you accept that TBB is not the place for any sort of political discussion you would've been a positive member there too. The banning you received was probably harsh, but you broke the rules. You then started a thread about your locked thread, which is a quick way to annoy any admin and to find yourself in trouble.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty standard not to discuss politics in public places as it inevitably leads to extraordinary and pointless lameness.

I would suggest having a beer.

There are also political discussion boards dedicated to ... political discussions ... don't see why anyone pursuing their Blood Bowl escapism wants to see it. I probably agree with most of what you think but it also riles me to be reminded of a lot of issues I feel passionate about.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
Azurus wrote:

That was kind of my point. 'As they are written', the rules are very vague and can mean several things. You're just unlucky the way you read it is different to the way the mods did.
gken1

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
gken1 wrote:

Uhm... no I didn't. Just because you think I should be banned does not change the facts that I was never given a yellow card.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Relevant Link

just because you didn't officially recieve a yellow card u knew what you were doing was not in line with the board politics when your first post was locked.

Only a person who wanted to get banned or push the acceptable lines continues to post on unwanted subjects.

You weren't banned until the 2nd post. Screw up once, shame on us, Screw up twice, shame on you.
Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

After readin 30+ pages here on the "FUMBBLERS save the world topic" I can undertstand why TBB doesnt want that type of discussion to dominate their threads. There is enough disention abut Vault rules as is.

What I find a bit hypocritical is your reaction to being banned from TBB for violating their rules when that is exactly what you would do here for people that violate FUMBBL rules.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Their own loss, Evo. I wouldn't worry about it too much - TBB has been becoming an unpleasant environment for some time now. There are certain individuals who have repeatedly broken the Flaming and Trolling rules, for example, and have had no action taken against them.

I much prefer posting here - though the majority of regular posters here aren't quite as hard-boiled or experienced as those of TBB, they speak with none of the cynicism or closed-mindedness either.

Our recent threads on the US election, though heavy-going for some, never descended into a nasty flame war, and respect was shown to FUMBBL and each other by the participants throughout. It demonstrated what can be acheived in an Off-Topic forum.

One must remember that neither TBB nor FUMBBL are democracies - both are run by an individual, ultimately. Perhaps the differences between the sites tell us something about the effort and judgement of those individuals, and the mods they select. Thanks must go to Christer for allowing such openess of discussion - I hope we can return that trust by keeping FUMBBL an open and welcoming place for all.

Thanks also to you, Evo, for your contribution to FUMBBL through much of its existance.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Random Thoughts

If you feel as if the site you are talking about is so stifling to the topics that you wish discuss in a bloodbowl forum and that the people in charge of the site are not fair or honest with the people on that forum you are probably best of out of it ,I personally im happy for you to talk about whatever pleases you here but obviously I have no authority here .
Also even if the moderators do break there own rules you should live by your own judgement not by what others do , sometimes you can't fight the power , they are in charge of the site and will make what decisions they like . If you are upset that you cannot talk to your e-friends at that site anymore you may be surprised at the power of an apology and to ask nicely for a second chance to abide by the rules of their site . I think that may produce a better effect than this post will with them . but I am a forgiving person and tend to believe others too will be forgiving .Especially as you say that you mis interpretted the rules of the site .
It may also be that you know longer want to be a part of that community , if that is the case you should just move on and not waste time bad mouthing them .

So Speaketh the Guru ,So I too have spoken
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2004 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Beer is good.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: