19 coaches online • Server time: 03:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mith

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidestep

Simply overpowering.

one or two players with it mean a headache. a whole team is completely nuts.

Dodge has a counter skill in Tackle.

Sidestep needs either a counter skill or to assign a die roll to it. maybe a an agi roll to see if the sidestep succeeds, modified by tackle zones.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

to be honest, i'd say that block is more overpowering than sidestep ... it's just that it tends to be only the elf teams that have a lot of sidestep. It means that you have to be a little more careful about who you want to hit.

I don't think that the rules are likely to change too soon, but you may want to have a look in the vault rules. I don't know them well at all, but i vaguely remember there being something that messes up sidestep.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Side-step is hardly over-powering. Just annoying.

Anyway, in the Vault rules it has a counter-skill. Grapple or something. This allows the attacking player to choose any square around the player he is blocking to move the player he is pushing back to (much like Side Step except now the attacker chooses). If the player has Side Step, both skills cancel out and normal pushback rules apply.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 06:03 Reply with quote Back to top

can the Wrestle skill move the player out of bounds?

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith wrote:
Sidestep

Simply overpowering.

Sidestep needs either a counter skill or to assign a die roll to it. maybe a an agi roll to see if the sidestep succeeds, modified by tackle zones.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ah, a premature April 1st post, I have been had!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BTW: If Side Step was such a powerful skill, why don't your players take it I wonder?

And why does one of your Lion Warriors have Diving Catch (but not Side Step)?

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %10, %2005 - %06:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

How is Side Step more overpowering than say....Stand Firm?? Easy cure for side step...planning and a POW. Let him side step to wherever he wants as long as when he's finished he's on his face.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

prophane wrote:
can the Wrestle skill move the player out of bounds?

Obviously not.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Farinroderel"]
Mith wrote:
Sidestep

Simply overpowering.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ah, a premature April 1st post, I have been had!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BTW: If Side Step was such a powerful skill, why don't your players take it I wonder?

And why does one of your Lion Warriors have Diving Catch (but not Side Step)?[/quote

I did not relize the full potential of this skill till recently when I encountered a Team with more the na few players with Side Step.

most rules are changing to make this game Elf Bowl so I don't ever see this changing.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith wrote:

I did not relize the full potential of this skill till recently when I encountered a Team with more the na few players with Side Step.

most rules are changing to make this game Elf Bowl so I don't ever see this changing.

Er, some bit you missed about the Vault introducing a new skill (Grab) that negates SideStep? That and Grab is sort of a 'reverse sidestep' for bashy teams (well, any teams I guess). Why, your Orc blitzer will be able to throw that War Dancer right into the center of the pile of Orcs for the Foul...
Mith

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

whats the vault?

The new LRB does not have any such skills in it
Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Playtesters Vault

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith wrote:

Well, after all it's up to you, but I wouldn't make such bold statements if I were rather new to a game such as you would appear to be. Wink
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

That's harsh, Farinroderel. You were new at one point and thought certain skills were crazy-good. Maybe you were silent around the forum, but spoke to your friends/opponents about the "brokenness" of a skill. Mith chooses to talk out on the forum. Different strokes for different folks...

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
That's harsh, Farinroderel. You were new at one point and thought certain skills were crazy-good. Maybe you were silent around the forum, but spoke to your friends/opponents about the "brokenness" of a skill. Mith chooses to talk out on the forum. Different strokes for different folks...

Erm this wasn't about Side Step: He claimed that "most rules are changing to make this game Elf Bowl...". Shocked

If that isn't a, well, bold statement one might consider to try to stay away from as a somewhat unexperienced player then I had no idea what else would qualify. Wink

Anyhow, as Mith hasn't got Side Step on any of his players and only played against it, I suggest that he acquire Side Step for some of his dudes and play with it himself. Then he will see how "broken" Side Step really is! Very Happy

And if it was that broken: Why do many fumbbl-leagues have restrictions on the number of bashy races (which have almost no access to Side Step and almost never take it anyhow) which may participate in their leagues, is that another hidden agenda towards elfbowl? If there was even a small grain of truth in his claim, leagues and tournaments should be dominated by teams with AG-access, as long as cherry-picking isn't an option that is. Cool

Last edited by Frankenstein on %b %10, %2005 - %16:%Mar; edited 3 times in total
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidestep/Guard is always a fun combo. It's not broken, but it sure as hell is the most annoying skill combo I've had to play against. And yes, a lot of us thought that certain skills were ultra cool when we first started, only to find out that they aren't so cool after all. I found that out in a league many moons ago the first time my minotaur frenzied himself into a 2d opponent choose block and died. That sucked flat soda through a crazy straw, lemme tell ya.
 Jump to: