70 coaches online • Server time: 19:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would player tourney stats interest you?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 72 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Wibble, the moon is a potato / for those who dont care
19%
 19%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 105

DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 28, 2005 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post as seperate from the other issues.

Would you be interested in seeing a coaches tournament stats in coach info?

This would have info prehaps including;

Tournament Played / Active
Tournament Completed / Completed %
Tournament Games Win / Draw / Loss
Tournament Victories / 2nd

And maybe some other stats you would like to see.

Primarily, I want to see completed tourney stats, to check out if coaches finish tourneys, and with such a stat even existing, I think it would make coaches more likely to finish their games to avoid getting bad stats.

Cheers
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 28, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, would be a nice idea, saves throwing the hard work us organisers go into making our tourneys!

Along with this id like to see individual player stats for the tourney as well, best passer, blocker MVP etc. I asked about it before but i got ignored (as usual;))
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
Along with this id like to see individual player stats for the tourney as well, best passer, blocker MVP etc. I asked about it before but i got ignored (as usual;))

Sounds like a nice idea, it's one of the things i enjoyed reading in BB-Pad's UMT write ups.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 04:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Only the first number is really relevant here as it shows that the coach actually finishes tournaments. The second one depends more on co-players than the coach himself.

The most important stats would actually be:
Number of tournament games played & number of forfeited games against the coach.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The more stats the better. I love looking at statistics, they may be lies, but they are good lies!

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:
Quote:

Only the first number is really relevant here as it shows that the coach actually finishes tournaments. The second one depends more on co-players than the coach himself.

The most important stats would actually be:
Number of tournament games played & number of forfeited games against the coach.

I agree here, especially in the last part, because, the Tournament Completed number wouldn't be a correct/fair way of telling if a player is relyable. Lots of tournaments end before they finish due to sloppy players and stuff and this would reflect pourly on most coashes Smile

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

hurrah

'These are my principals, if you dont like them, I have others.'
Jinxed

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

So true.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the concept as it will help tourney organisers find reliable coaches and also make some coaches think twice about joining a tourney they can't commit to. However there are a couple of areas that need to be clarified before it could be implemented:

1) At the moment there is no option to give a forfeit to both coaches when they are both as bad as each other - could this be an option that could be added for the tourney organiser? Not really fair to credit one player in such cases.

2) As a tourney organiser I often use my own teams as non-playing makeweights to make up numbers for knock-outs or to replace a withdrawn team (on the off chance he is picking which games to play). This would obviously give me really crap tourney stats though and coaches that have "byes" against these teams would receive unmerited benefits.

3) How would you differentiate between coaches not finishing tournies and tournies that don't get finished because the organiser doesn't do his job?

Also would it be worth tracking the number of games a coach wins by forfeit? Might catch a few who play the system.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I echo everything Pad says above ^^^^^

Post   Posted: May 29, 2005 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I want tourney player stats for mvp's etc!!!
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 31, 2005 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, taking into account the above comment / questions, how easy would it be to program something like this?

I know there are some that think these stats, or anything that might force a player to finish a tourney might not be great, and perhaps the system might be slightly flawed, but perhaps any system is better than none.

I myself view someone leaving a tourney early, the same as someone leaving a game without finishing it, but that is just my view.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 31, 2005 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, have u ever browsed through the 'recently played games' pages? there r always 3-5 games that have been conceded on each page. most players don't concede matches, so i've always been wondering why there are so many conded matches around...

personally i love browsing through stats, so i'd love some sorting options, stats, records, and achievements from tournaments...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2005 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible for anyone to comment as to whether stats like this would be available or not please?

I am not sure how much programming would be involved, but any feedback would be welcomed.

Cheers
Snorri

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2005 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

BrownRob wrote:
Yeah, would be a nice idea, saves throwing the hard work us organisers go into making our tourneys!

It's possible to actually generate player stats with a bit of web magic. We have an automated system set up for the SWL which goes away and collects the statistics from Fumbbl for every player in our league for the current season.

End of season sees many awards given out and creates alot of fluff interest! Amusing to watch teams go for broke at the end of the season after they know they're out of the running, just to get one of their player's up to grab the award for the season's best blocker..passer...or fouler!

Anyway, enough rambling - you can see what I think you're looking for at

http://www.snorriheim.com/swl

Just click on any one of the Twahnlow Ladders.

I'm sure other statistics are probably just as easy to come by with a bit of work. If anyone's interested in doing the same or similar, I'd be happy sharing scripts and details with you. Just PM.

Cheers,
Snorri
 Jump to: