85 coaches online • Server time: 21:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
chunky04

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2005 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I'm one a few admins in the SWL league, which is the Oceanian league.

We run a number of quite large open round robin tournaments, largely for leagues where a more freeform structure is beneficial (for newbies for example, so they don't have to wait till the next season).

The problem is they are inflexible with regards to swapping in new coaches and new teams, which is something we often need to do in these leagues.

Currently we work around the problem by having the admins provide a number of "dummy" teams which we slot into these tourneys but are never intended to play games. However this approach yields a few problems:

- Constant questions along the lines of "Why does chunky04 get more than one team in the league when I can't, why does chunky04 get pact teams when I can't, and of course want a ame with dummy team x chunky04?"

- The admins have to keep a large number of mostly inactive teams in their slots simply to allow this to happen.

What I'd like to propose is that in the option for setting up a tournament, there be an option for X number of dummy teams to be added to the tournament for the purposes of swapping. These dummy teams do not actually exist at all beyond taking up a spot in a tournament. Being able to add one to other types of tourneys would also be handy - eg to get to multiples of 4 in a KO tourney, or a multiple of 2 in a round robin tourney.

Is it possible to do this?

Maybe an alternative solution would be to allow more unranked slots for coaches depending on how many and how large the tourneys are that they are admins for?

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

*bump* There are a whole bunch more changes I'd like to see for tourneys, but this is the most obvious one I reckon.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 07:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea.

There are now 20 teams belonging to a coach called "TourneyFiller". If you invite any of the teams (called "Filler 1" through "Filler 20") to your group, they will automatically accept and be added to your group for this purpose.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this feature.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Christer, that will work perfectly.

In fact...

Chunky buys christer a virtual beer - he can drink virtual ones

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

On a related note, is it possible to have a button that automatically resets the games played in an open round robin while not doing anything to the scores?

This would help in the situation where you have an open round robin run for a specific length of time, but sooner or later the regulars reach critical mass in terms of available games and the whole thing just kind of dies off.

We currently get round this by resetting the tourney manually and adjusting all the scores (though sometimes we forget the scores - bad Snorri!) - this would makes things a lot easier, especially for the newbie tourney admins.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work Christer! Will make things a little more manageable Smile

Thanks,
Snorri.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

yes that's perfect
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2005 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, Christer! Now my league will run just about perfectly. This is a much appreciated feature. Smile

ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2005 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer,

Firstly, thanks again for the filler teams! Great feature...

But we have hit a snag... when we replaced one of the filler teams with a new team, that team cannot seem to upload games.
The error is "Cannot Upload results of games with differing Progression" or something like that...

The league is a non-progression open round robin LINK Is it because he has taken the place of the filler team which was a) set to TR0 or b) because "Filler 1" may be in another tournament as well? (Which is probably Non-Progression)

Any advice? or help?

Thanks
Clay
 Jump to: