84 coaches online • Server time: 22:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you like my fluff? (pls read below first and honest answers are appreciated)
Yes, continue in that direction
50%
 50%  [ 18 ]
No, your a tard
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Nobody cares especially not me!
38%
 38%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 36

Slick

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't done the players individual bios yet, but i was hoping you guys could tell me if I'm going in a good/pathetic direction.

Slick's Wrath

EDIT: I've now made this team/fluff also and I like it much more.
Eet Dis
It's not quite complete but it was fun to write.

Also if you think it's crap please take the time to tell me why?

Last edited by Slick on %b %12, %2005 - %15:%Oct; edited 2 times in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks cool Slick, nice effort!

For me, personally, I prefer sports type comic BB fluff to WFB fluff

Some shameless self team promotion, but take a look at my skaven team the Cold Peak Warphunters. I still need to write in a few more team awards!
Slick

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Good stuff man, and I plan to add some sport stuff based on their performance. However, this team was not created for fun and laughs. It was made when I was extremely POed.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally don't like it much. I find it a bit too ordinary.
I mean... What's so special about this team? Find something unique! "They are the strongest and most evil Dark Elves Slick could find" is not enough, imho.

(adding stuff based on their performance would help in this matter, I guess... It could even give you a hint about developing personal add ons for Stars you develop)

You asked to be honest, right?
I like the effort, but I think you must work on it some more.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Mine are a serious team too, but in a comic way, the way BB should be!

What do you think of my Skaven bio Jan? I wont be able to leave until i know an answer!
Slick

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Constructive criticism is much appreciated JanMattys. This is my first time writing any fluff so I figured it might suck a bit. Smile Also I plan on adding a paragraph once I buy WEs and getting more into why I call them the Wrath.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Biggity, biggity, BUMP!

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

He, then I'll give you my fluff for your criticism too: Chaos Avatars
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd actually say it's too long. I get a few words into each paragraph and my mind says, "Skip to the next one."

Personally I think you over elaborate on how the team is found. "In the mountains... blah blah... In the forest... blah blah... In the city... blah blah."

Pick one. One paragraph instead of three will make the fluff much less fluffy and give it, ironically, more substance.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2005 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll just bump this one more time to see if I can get a little more info.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2005 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I personally don't like it much. I find it a bit too ordinary.
I mean... What's so special about this team? Find something unique! "They are the strongest and most evil Dark Elves Slick could find" is not enough, imho.

(adding stuff based on their performance would help in this matter, I guess... It could even give you a hint about developing personal add ons for Stars you develop)

My words exactly...
Fluff is interesting if it's unique - if not it's just... well.... fluffy fluff.... Confused

We all know the first background story we made for our first D&D-character:
"My family was killed when orcs razed our city, and now I am an adventurer who hates orcs"....

As all bloodbowl teams' starting point is the same and most skill combinations have been seen before, you gotta find an approach to the fluff that'll make the team something we have never heard of before.
The easiest way to do this imho is to make up something extremely crazy - a funny story of some kind and then twist it to suit your team.
I made No Silly Ogres and Wood Food Poetry Book that way. Finding a "mission" for your team other than winning a lot of games helps a lot too.

But you can make the team interesting and unique in many different ways. Write serious fluff, write funny fluff, make some fancy graphics, make statistics on your players' perfomance, distribute medals like JanMattys does, hire a unusual combination of players (an all hobgob or zombie team for instance) - there are lots of possibilities.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2005 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Just don't do too much...when your team bio starts to read like a novel (and takes just as long) you turn off prospective opponents from reading in the first place. That's what I was starting to get with my Weapon Masters...after 175 games of slowly adding material, it was just too long to read, even for me! So I cut out 95% of it, and plan on redoing some of the fluff story...

For example, Slick, I think you wrote some terrific stuff, but I'd slide some of it into player bios instead of the team bio...tell us in the team bio that you went to the forrests, the mountains, etc, and then in the player bio let us know this guy came from the forrest and was convinced to join the team because of the stories of slaughter or whatnot.

Brownrob, I love adding stats of player performances to your team bio, but I think you're being overly ambitious adding rushing squares, number of passes/blocks, etc, as these numbers will get ridiculous if the team lasts a while (imagine the stats for some of my players who've lasted 100+ games with my rats! 8-0 ). So I'd shorten it down to just listing average pass/rush/block/foul per game, showing who's the most active of your guys. (Hope you're keeping an excel sheet on the side for record keeping!) Keep up with the star player rolls and aging rolls...after 100 games, you'll be able to look back and complain with stats to back you up about how often you got screwed! lol

Warmduscher, I love it!

Wish I could figure out how to do in-bio tables like Jan's...

DonKosak, I object to the "Prince of Peace" allusion in your ogre team, but otherwise I was LMAO the entire read!

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2005 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle: tables are easy. You can embed html in the team's bio.

<table> to start
<tr> to start a row
<th> for a table header
<td> for a cell

Code:
<table>
  <tr>
    <th>Col Header 1</th>
    <th>Col 2 Header</th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Cell 1, Row 1</td>
    <td>Cell 2, Row 1</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Cell 1, Row 2</td>
    <td>Cell 2, Row 2</td>
  </tr>
</table>

Styling your table is a little tricker. Add style="property1:value1;property2:value2" attributes... you'll need to look at a CSS reference to get the properties.

e.g. <th style="background:black;color:white"> will start a column header which has a black background and white text.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2005 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot to mention, I'm the King of Fluff.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2005 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you guys really have that much time to waste on these things?!
Wink
 Jump to: