110 coaches online • Server time: 21:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2005 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been trying months to get people to join my tournament league and very few coaches join. Why? Isn't there other people out there who are sick of the ranked league like me? I've posting on the tournament forum for EVER and no one replies. A few coaches join my league but they never reply. I feel like I'm writing to myself as there is like ten post, all from me!

If there is anyone who feels the same, let me know...and join my league. I'm trying to make it bigger.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=2773
qk

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I never play tournaments because I never know when I'll have time for a game...

Regards!
qk
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Time. So many tourneys say you must be able to play a game a week. I usually play about 3 a week, almost always on the same day, and I'm in Canada. Most Coaches are in Europe, so arranging tims to play is dificult. I try, I fail, I drop out of tourneys, I stop applying. (some tourney's are happily 'open', which means I won't play as much and will end up with less points.) I've seen many rthat sound like a lot of fun but I'm not gonna apply anymore. Good luck with yours. (and *bump*)

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2005 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Tournament commishes are the true heroes of fumbbl. I've never hosted a tourney here myself, but my best advice would be to start out with a small, dedicated group and let things grow slowly. The two larger (15+) unranked round robin tournaments i've participated in have both gone death around 1/2-way.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Many tournaments on Fumbbl have coaches drop out about half way, deciding that, if they cannot win, they may as well drop out.

There is no way of seeing who the drop outs are, as no statistics are gathered, but for the coaches who play every tournament game, even if it means lining 6 elves up against an army of Chaos, it can get frustrating. Also, some new tournament organisers do not take a hard enough line with deadlines for coaches not getting their games played, this makes the league drift and other coaches lose interest, or take it as an excuse to leave.

Therefore, I tend only to join leagues where I know the commissioner will enforce a deadline, and look at the coaches playing to get an idea if most will follow the tournament through. I also enjoy K.O. tournaments as the winning teams will wish to continue on, and the losing or uninterested sides would have been knocked out.

I try for instance to join Peikko's tournaments whenever I can, as they tend to be great fun, often a bit different, yet as the same time very firmly controlled.

Cheers
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

That's some good advise. I will take it. I'm sure it will grow eventually. I'll just make mine small for awhile instead of searching and asking people to join. I'll treat it like field of dreams. If I build it, they will come.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I've only ever gone in a couple of tournaments other than the SWL. Being in Australia tends to make timing with coaches in european/american time zones a bit tricky, and although I am generally willing to put in the effort, I really dislike it if other coaches aren't willing to do the same (especially when they are in the same time-zones as one another). This is by far the main thing that puts me off of joining most tournaments.

Edit: fixed a typo

Last edited by Laviak on %b %30, %2005 - %09:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand that. But I have someone from another country and timezone in the league and they always play their games. I also am in league where often I have to play people from another country and I'll wake up in the am just to get the game on. I'm just looking for a few coaches who like to play tournaments all the time. It is called the Diehard Tournament League after all.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

As Heinz said, Start the tournament with a small group. Set a deadline and be very strict about that (If you´re not, then the deadline will not be useful at all). Work on some Stuff to make the tournament more appealing... and hold out patiently.

Good luck!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I run a similar tournament concept NL Raises from Ashes. I have learned a lot of it.

I've started it a long time ago, when I was just a noob and showed the game to some of my friends. It was the noobs league (what a poor name... :p). It died; not even a round was competed.

I also tried to run another tournament where I got just this answer "poo it's unranked". Now it makes me laugh because every unofficial tournament is unranked.

I started to join elses tournament. I think I started with a pure human tournament and BB-Pad Ulrick Maverick trophey.

I tried to set the tournament again. European Noobs League. I've run it with 30 persons. Season 2 I reached 70-80 coaches!!

Then came THE DRAMA. "Hi We decided that fumbbl is not there to run your tourneys for friends. Now Ranked tournament will be the major events." Grum said.......

thanks Grum.....many thanks.....

Now you couldn't advertise on news anymore.

The direct effect was easy. It is now limited in forum posting. And since when you post, you get 10-14 reads including yourself, you don't find people anymore.

Tournaments get through high and lows. In season 3 I reached a low in games played. Long term commitement is hard.

At this time Tyrant created Grudge league. he wrote some backgrounds for his tournaments. that appealed me but I thought that he didn't go deep enough in the concept.

The background was just something to flesh it up but nothing more. But I found the solution I looked for. I would developp a story around my tournament and link my tournament rules to it.

For exemple:
=>I ve run a KO cup that took place into Altdorf. Arcon and his skaven won it. So in the next edition, the skaven made a plan to take control of a city. Now we are in the second one. And it seems that evil races will win it, especially Chaos dwarves so the next thema tournament will be around taking back the city.

=>In an orken tournament, if orks where beaten by gobelins, they suffered heavy penalitys because they where "humiliated".

I ve run those tournament monthly, taking different pages to do so (inspiring by official tournament technique).

I have one of the biggest group, but I seem to suffer a low again. Hell, making a group live is damn hard and requieres commitment. Especially now that new blood is hard to get (thx grum..... and you don't even want to reconsider your point of view).

Well, now let's speak around Grudge legue. Tyrant left and Kharhumies took it. Grudge seem to be THE tournament currently. I see there many coaches that are new.

Your biggest problem lord, is that most of the regular tourney players (eg: me, captain1821 or casper) are at 15 U teams and already commited in them. We sometime enters new tournament because another one spoke of one to us. "Hey do you play this one? I am in it's fun!) But we do not really pay attention to new people looking for coaches. Well I am sorry for that. But so it is.

Grudge has mainly 2 Big Strenghtes (and I am going to copy them):
-a big chat channel that has people speaking in it.
-young blood that IMO drags into the tournament other new flesh.

I like the tournament for sure. Even if I think there are some flaws but well it doesn't seem to cause problems to the new so I am fine with it.

Now some hints about recruitement:
-"gl hf": In game technique: if you are a nice opponent and chat well with your opponent, don't hesitate to speak about your tourney.
-The Grudge technique: he post ALWAYS on the same recruitement topic. It seems to work.
-The Us technique: used by mully, he never advertise in tournament but in Unranked forum section.
-The Albator technique: he advertise directly in the chat with a link provided.

Run your tournament step by step. 12 guys are enough to start. Then try to make it bigger.

Step by step is the big point. Else you won't succed.

Good Luck

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

advertize them better?
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks sk8bcn. You obviously know your stuff. I will use your tips and am very thankful. You inspire me.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I am looking for a tourney or league to join.
I'm from europe, so I would like to join one with fellow europeans, but I am willing to play early am-games too, I'm dedicated, even when I'm loosing.

The only thing is that I'm going to ski in december, so I can't join any tournies right now.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2005 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

El_Jairo wrote:
I'm from europe, so I would like to join one with fellow europeans, but I am willing to play early am-games too, I'm dedicated, even when I'm loosing.

The only thing is that I'm going to ski in december, so I can't join any tournies right now.

Nl, join NL, he he.

thx lord for the feedback.

We should create the tournamenent comitee group that we get a real chance to get the right to advertise again!

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2005 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

El_Jairo wrote:

No problem. The Diehard TOurnament League has a tournament every month. Which ever one you want to come in, you can. Just apply and PM me to let me know, or post in here which one you want to join.

And sk8bcn, you have my vote.
 Jump to: