35 coaches online • Server time: 11:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 - Wi...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Callo

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering could we have more statistics after game? I don´t know a bit of java programing, but if the client counts luck it should be possible count all other thinks in game example:

1. How many block was thrown by teams and what was the end come.
2. How many squares players runned and ball was thrown
3. How many times armor was breaked
4. How many dodges was done and succee prosent in them
5. How many fouls was comited
6. How many GFI taken

and why not statitics from about every roll that is made in game, of course whit some kind of relevant categorizing. I think it would be interesting analyse my games afterwards in the light of exact statistics. Now we get just luck and the things which give spp to players. This all shouldn´t be hard to do (correct me if i am wrong) and would be a interesting feature in javabowl to see what didt you actually do in your game.

Callo
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess my feeling is, if it isnt worth spp its not worth knowing about. The only exception to this that I can think of would be KOs, and how long the player stayed out afterwards. The things you mentioned might be interesting for a game or two, but after a while I know I would ignore them.
Pernicion

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that things like yards run with the ball and yards thrown would be good additions. I suppose that lot's of additional info could be interesting, but how many of you out there pay that much attention? Surely most are just interested in advancing their teams/players.
The kinds of information stat'd in 2nd edition Blood Bowl would be intereting, I guess I'd like some of that. Although, I'm starting to think that I'm somewhat distanced from 'normal' opinions on many things.

..or something.. ahh, another beer. Mmmm OBSIDIAN ALE™.

http://corporatemanifestations.com
http://www.archive.org/details/sordid_zine
http://www.archive.org/details/crypt-designers-guild
Twahn

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

One of cool things about watching sports these days is all the funky stats that they barrage you with concerning every last detail of the game that they can figure out how to measure.
I reckon it'd be dominating if the Jave client would count things like yards run with the ball, ground covered by each player, blocks thrown (with success indicators too)... etc.
Give old friends and just generally sad people something to chew over after the game as they finsih off their bottles... Wink

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Revener

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah loads of more statistics would be fun, at least an option to view them.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that Ski has said numerous times about yardage stats is that we need to define it. Something like:
Code:

Count the spaces moved towards the endzone (x axis only, with the field horizontal) only while carrying the ball and subtract any negative spaces from the total. Lateral movement doesn't count. Passing yards is simply the measure on the range ruler, since it calculates that anyway.
Each time a player uses the Pass action, it counts as an attempt.
Each time the player has the ball, it counts as a carry (for yards/carry).
Each time the player catches a pass thrown to them (not HMPs to an adjacent square or scattered balls from a dropped catch), it counts as a reception.
etc...

There are really lots of different ways you can do it, so we just need to come up with a quorum on what we want (and hope Francebloodbowl and the rest of the world agree).

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2003 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, so u set up an object/class of playerstat for every player in game, with properties called yardage, pss_yards, pass etc, and increment them if they do this, like after each move forward on x axis, ++ the yardage value. and add up the teams for the team totals or somehow create all these player objects inside a larger group that will calculate this anyway

like:
team1.
team1.player1
team1.player2.yardage = 12
team1.player2.pss_yards = 3
team1.player2.pass = 1

etc

would be nice to have an ingame meter of possesion and yardage.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2003 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll compose a wish list of potential stats to be displayed. We can debate how they are measured later and if they are worth including.

Team Stats
1. Blocks: Successful/Attempted/%
2. Armour Rolls: Successful/Attempted/%
3. Injury Rolls: Stun/KOs/BH/SI/Death as percentages
4. Passes: Successful/Attempted/% and yardage
5. Running: # and Yardage
6. Dodges: Successful/Attempted/%
7. Fouls: Successful/Attempted/% and players ejected
8. GFIs: Successful/attempted/%
10. Bonehead: Successful/Attempted/%
11. Really Stupid: Successful/Attempted/%
12. Pickups: Successful/Attempted/% (A version of Slackman's take on fumbles)
13. Turnovers: For and Against
14. Fumbles: Caused and Against (The other version of Slackman's fumbles)

Player Stats
Same as above but for individuals

I'm sure I'm missing some. So post away.
Some of the stats are obvious but some need some debating. I'll let someone else much more clever then myself begin those debates.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism

Taoism

edited to include other suggestions

Last edited by EvolveToAnarchism on %b %08, %2003 - %05:%Jul; edited 2 times in total
slackman

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

in the interest of keeping this short, im only going to address a couple of things. first of all, any rolls involving injuries should most definitely include the type of injury that resulted. for example, fouls. is it considered a success when you only end up w/ a stun? strictly speaking, yes, you broke armor, and it was therefore a success. but the severity of the injury does much more to gauge the effectiveness than a simple % that broke armor. same thing goes for armor rolls from blocks. for this reason, i would suggest working in some kind of "effectivness" rating, of some sort. perhaps a 1 on a cas (BH, SI, or dead) since the player is removed from the game, and a fraction thereof for ko and stun results. take that number * 100 and you get a nice usable %. im not sure what formula to use exactly, im just pulling this off the top of my head.

as far as adding a couple stats, i would love to see 2 (maybe more if i can think of them) added to the list, fumbles and forced fumbles.

a fumble would simply be any failure to pick up the ball or receive a hand off. perhaps a stat for "drops" as well, which would be the number of times a player was thrown a pass that ended in their square, and they failed to catch it.

a forced fumble would occur when you force a player on the opposite team to give up possession of the ball, any block (blitz) that results in the ball no longer being attached to the player that previously had it. i suppose you could add this in the above stat as well, counting as a fumble for the player that got sacked.

on a bit of a side note, i would like to see game end totals for all the rolls you and your opponent made. seeing that i actually did have 1s on half my rolls means a lot more than having 50% luck. if we wanted to get fancy, we could have a % success on each roll as well, for example, every single roll that is a 1 fails, so the % would be 0. and every single 6 succeeds, so that % would be 100. this would go a long way into showing how good of a decision maker each coach is. are they making a lot of rolls that aren't likely to succeed? if the success% on your 3s and 4s is low, you're trying too many difficult rolls.

i suppose something similar could be done for blocks, although it would be a bit more complex. in either case, i would NOT want to see block rolls included into the above idea.

heh, good thing i decided to keep this short... Shocked

slackman42
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I added a few of Slackman's suggestions.
Here's what I added to the list:
1) Calling some of his fumbles pickups
2) A hand off is mechanically woked out as a pass, so we could keep it as a pass or creat a new category for it.
3) I called the blitzing the ball carrier to free the ball fumbles, but I'm sure someone could come up with a better name?
4) I added injury rolls, and I think the simplest thing to do would be to break them down as percentages. We could have multiple lists for how it was caused. For example blocking, fouling, failed dodges.
5) I also added turnovers. I hope that one is self-explanatory.

As Always,
Evo

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

on your 1: i simply phrased the statistic to place an emphasis on the mistakes made. i could care less that my thrower picked up the ball 12 times during the game, but if he tried and failed 4 times, that i want to know.

2: yeah, a handoff is treated as a pass. so take all the times it failed and add them to the times a pass was thrown to a player w/ the ball and was dropped, and collectively call them, simply, "drops". i want to know if my GR should be renamed "good ol stickyfingers johnson", or "butterfingers bob".

3: this is fine. i dont know what else to call it, although it could be confused w/ simply rolling 1s. but then, this only works on defense. i would also like a stat for when you simply drop the ball, but i guess we already covered that.

4: this looks great. what would be even better is if there was a way to link this to blocks/fouls. again, an "effectiveness" rating of sorts. blocks thrown compared to knockdowns, and then compare that to injures caused, netting a nice neat number. but dont ask me to try and figure out a suitable formula, im tired and im going to bed...

one more thing, i dont quite understand the stat for running (rushing for all you american football fans). does simply picking up the ball constitue as a "carry" (number of times running w/ the ball) and does this number really even matter? im not sure it does, but maybe some people do.

one final thing on yardage, what's the point of even trying to divide squares into yards, when most of us dont even use yards anyway? i would be much happier thinking of things in terms of squares, or maybe using the 2e term "paces". this goes for both rushing and passing.

i think i've said enough, i just hope there's a few others out here who would care to add their opinion, or confirm or deny the already mentioned statistics.

slackman42
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2003 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ski has mentioned before problems about how to measure didstances.
So I propose two distance stats, Gross distance i.e. just the number of moves with the ball regadless of distance, and Net which adds one if you move towards scoring, subs one moving back, 0 for moving sideways again with the ball.
slackman

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2003 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

yes, i know there are many possible ways to measure, erm, "distance". however, i thought this idea was already covered, perhaps in a different post. anyway, im pretty sure a concensus was reached that it should only count moving forward, and subtract moving backwards, w/ sideways moves ignored. i dont see how important it would be to have a seperate statistic that simply logs each time you move a square w/ the ball. hmm... im stalling, so im going to move my 6 ma back and forth just to pump up my stats instead of just leaving him in one place. but i guess i'd be open to discuss the merits of such a proposal...

slackman42
Barash

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2003 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:

3) I called the blitzing the ball carrier to free the ball fumbles, but I'm sure someone could come up with a better name?

this point is not completely clear to me...you mean:

* The blitzing player fumbles and failed to break the ball lose?
or
* The blitzing player strips the ball succesfully (by knocking over the ball carrier or using strip ball skill) and the ball is dropped by the ball carrier?

"ball strips" (attempts and made)
"fumbles caused" (attempts and made)

Damn, these suggestions are really cool. If these statistics are implemented.. I couldn't stop playing anymore... it would be awsome! Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2003 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

handoffs aren't worked out the same as a pass its just a catch roll
 Jump to: