53 coaches online • Server time: 20:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Inscription JBL Sais...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wizard

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering what other coaches thoughts on Team Development are like - Generally the skills for your first few games are no brainers, like Block and Gaurd, but after some point there will be coaches that will not play you because you to much tackle or have a team loaded with dodge.

A good example of what im trying to say would be this: Dark Elf team has Blodge and Tackle on every single Lino, this means the low AV Dodge teams are less likley to play them, but at the same time your more inclined to decline offers from High AV bashy teams that are loaded with tackle ( *cough* Dwarfs *cough* *cough* ) as you dont want your AV8 dudes mangled because they no longer have dodge, and tackle is usless against those pesky bash teams without dodge.

My Khemri team has traveled the less traditional route of the ball players taking all the AG and MA i can, so as to improve my chances of getting games - as no one like to play full hardcore bash khem. I've done this on purpose so teams are more likley to play me.

Anyone else take similar things into account when developing there teams?

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

elves will always play other elves so they dont have to play bashy teams-tackle is a necessity for those pesky blodgers
It doesn't matter if every single player on your khemri team has +AG, if they have 4 mummies then most opponents won't play them, heck if they even see the word Khemri they squirm away.

Don't drop the soap.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that this team shows exactly how elves *should* be developed.

Seriously though, I don't have a real lot of teams that have developed far enough to be that worried about development - the only ones that have gone that far have been pretty low on the bash side of things, and don't need to worry much about the getting games side of things -- I tend to develop the team to make up for where they are weak - rather than going all out and making them a super-elf-bowl team, I like to develop them to be able to deal with a bit of bash as well.

Longrifle

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG, Laviak, I love that team!

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

yes especially with chaos. I tend to like the basher route of claw+MB, but that doesn't help to get games.

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Take whatever you want, don't keep in mind how it will affect your ability to get matches. With so many coaches around, you're bound to get a match sooner or later. The big question really, is are you ready to accept any matchup?

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to make all my team the opposite of what they are. I tend to lose more this way, but I find it way more entertaining to throw with Khemri, than to bash with them. My elf teams alaways try and bash. I lose alot of players by the way, but do gain some mystical crazy players that suit the bill. Mr.Meaner for example, is the toughest WE to break out of the County Lock up. Throwing with bashy team is a true strategic challenge. Try it you might have a little fun at it.

Jeffro
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I know that the vault rules are not exactly popular around Fumbbl, but the problem described here is exactly one of the things that are fixed.

There are more alternatives to building a team than in LRB4, especially for the bashy teams, since the diversity of ST skills increases greatly.

I have not played the new rules yet, so I don't know whether it's actually possible to go different routes and still win. I also think block and guard will still be no brainers as the first skills for bashy players.

Still, there should be more variety, which I think is a good thing.

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My skillchoices aren't affected by other people's cherrypicking, but rather by other people's skillchoices: Initially I avoided taking dodge with my elves, because I myself took tackle at first and figured that since I am mostly avoiding blocks, my opponent is going to have tackle for his blitz at least, so dodge would have been a waste. I have found out that tackle on here isn't as common as I have thought and consequently reverted back to taking dodge, even though it should be a complete waste of a skill, if only people were taking tackle...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
My skillchoices aren't affected by other people's cherrypicking, but rather by other people's skillchoices: Initially I avoided taking dodge with my elves, because I myself took tackle at first and figured that since I am mostly avoiding blocks, my opponent is going to have tackle for his blitz at least, so dodge would have been a waste. I have found out that tackle on here isn't as common as I have thought and consequently reverted back to taking dodge, even though it should be a complete waste of a skill, if only people were taking tackle...

wow Optihut this is invaluable. Laughing

Now I will do the same. I summarize:

since everyone take block I will do to
If I am going to play dodgers, I'll take tackle
and If I am going to play vs tackle teams, I won't take dodge.

I think here, I made a huge step forward Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Only elven positionals take dodge early in most of my elf-teams. My opponents roll straight POWs on crucial blocks anyway, so why bother with that skill?
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Only elven positionals take dodge early in most of my elf-teams. My opponents roll straight POWs on crucial blocks anyway, so why bother with that skill?

Well if they roll only POWs then there aren't many skills that can help you, are there? Wink

Personaly, get block on every single player that doesnt roll doubles or is a thrower (might want to go with some pass skills first for some), since it makes them much more survivable and enables them to block n blitz better if needed.

If you want the best overall way to take down any player, go with block/tackle/strip ball. The only thing that can hurt you is skullz. Hopefully you dont roll many of those Wink

Don't drop the soap.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Actualy, I get block on my throwers for 2nd or 3rd skill since they might have to play defense or carry the ball for a while before tossin it.

Don't drop the soap.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

For team development, the key thing is to have a 'grand plan'. Decide in advance what skills you want your team to have, and how u want them to play. The problem is that most players are influenced by the bad memories of their last match, and make a bad skill choice. The result is that you have discordant teams, rather than teams who can effectively play well together...

as for skill choices, try to differentiate... a low TR team with diving tackle can change the course of a match. For elves you need a coupld of dodges at the beginning, and then focus on block. By the time every lineman has block, you will find the dodgers have blodge...

preparing a khermi team for throwing sounds like fun tho... as long as you are having fun, who cares!!!!!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
xcver

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally think that Kick should be one of the first skills on a lineman (especially an elven one)